4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:17 pm 

I finally more or less got this all together. Took it for a spin. Not real impressed at 8 psi (lost a pound with the piping & IC). I'm sure once I crank up the boost it will be much more fun. Oh, and I still am running stock exhaust with no muffler. Ack!

The IC piping is 2". Yeah I know. I bought it a year ago or so before thinking and didn't want to have to buy anymore so I used it.

Mods so far are:

Small 16g 7cm
2nd gen exhaust manny
450's & 1g MAS
1g intake snorkel
1g SMIC
Supra TT fuel pump

If it's not raining Saturday and the track is open I will get some timeslips.

Member #1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:22 pm 
Where did you get the battery plate from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:28 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

wait, i have my smic intercooler piping rputed the opposite way you do, does that matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:46 am 

Jason, the battery hold down bracket was on the car when I got it. You can get them at pretty much any automotive store. I had to cut the bar that goes across the top of the battery and offset the two ends and weld it because it was too wide for the battery. The battery in the car isn't your typical sized battery. It's a little smaller which made leaving it under the hood possible. If I had a normal sized battery I probably couldn't have done it.

There are two j-bolts on either side holding it down. The battery does like to rotate a little if you really push on it. At the last autox the guy made me tighten it down a bit more. I'm going to do a little something to keep it from rotating as much so I won't catch flack everytime I autox. The battery tray is the stock one with a couple brackets I made supporting it.

It doesn't matter which way you route the air through the intercooler. It's just a heat exchanger and from what I have read, direction of air flow doesn't matter. I am routing it backwards compared to how TEL's have it routed.

Now I just have to work on getting some air flow to the IC. It's cold enough right now it doesn't get heat soaked. But come summer I am sure it will need some air.

I installed a Perma-Cool cooling fan as well. There wasn't enough clearance for the intake snorkel, mas or my piping with the stock fan. I've found the fan doesn't cool as well, but since installing the IC, my coolant temp doesn't seem to get as hot. I'm guessing thanks to the cooler intake charge temp now.

Member #1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:20 am 

Quote:
I've found the fan doesn't cool as well, but since installing the IC, my coolant temp doesn't seem to get as hot. I'm guessing thanks to the cooler intake charge temp now.
Really?? The perma cool on Gail's car cooled much better than the stock fan. When it cycled, the temp would drop much faster than old the stock fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:42 am 

I have only had the fan for two weeks but one time I let the car sit and idle and the temp was 201 at the end of about five minutes with the fan on and it was maybe 60 degrees outside at most. With the original fan it would usually drop down to 192-194.

We'll see how it does this summer.

Member #1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:37 pm 
CSM Junkie

I just recently tried mounting the smic and keep everything under the hood and did. Not the prettiest for now, but it works, I boosted it to 12psi, and with just the 450cc injectors and stock fuel pressure, she is running rich. pulls hard for now, only thing is, i have a mbc, however I drilled a 1/16 hole in it and i'm still getting the boost spiking to close to 15-18psi but remeains at 11-12 at WOT. I need my exhaust and soon!!! hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:42 pm 

I need my echaust tooo.!! :D also running without it. from turbo to.....nothing!
well it flows good.