4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:57 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Sorry to ask so many questions my first CSM and really want to get this thing started.... Anyways I tryed cranking it over for the first time. I have spark but no fuel. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? (its an 89 colt gt) I looked in the engine bay fuse panel and didn't see any fuel fuses? All the fuses were good accept for the black 80amp fuse for the altenator. I looked under the dash didn't see any fuel pump fuse. Any specfic relays or wiring to look at that tends to go wrong on these cars?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:19 pm 
Some call me a god

www.lilevo.com/mirage Go there: find the folder 89 Colt Summit Mirage, it should open up the factory turbo manual. It's broke down in sections for you, and that should help in diagnosing the problem.

There is a process to test the fuel pump for operation. I don't believe there is a relay or fuse for the pump. Is your ECU working? Have you checked for fault codes yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:56 pm 
Digital Baby Troll

I just ran into the same problem with my 89 mirage turbo. If you'd like I can type up the process of what I did the check and eventually find out it has a dead fuel pump. I have lots of pictures too 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:51 pm 
Some call me a god

How do you know your getting no fuel? Did you disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail or are you just checking and seeing if the spark plugs are getting wet? If there is no fuel at the fuel rail that would eliminate the fuel injectors.

I think one of the relays under the stereo/ashtray area control the fuel pump. The one I am thinking of has about 5-7 wires on it, and has a tin cover. I am not sure though, I have never had a problem with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:37 pm 

I disconnected the return on the fuel rail and not a drop of fuel. How do you check codes? Never checked codes on one of these cars.... Are you suppose to be able to hear the fuel pump kick on for a few seconds when you turn the key on. Another problem also, Put another fuse in for the altenator and it popped as soon as I connected the battery. Anyone know what all wiring goes to that fuse. Maybe a ground and power switched. Someone had taken the engine out half ass before I got the car and I had never worked on one before. So I am kinda hit and miss on what goes to what. Seems like the altenator would be kind of hard to screw up connections on though.?.?.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:26 pm 

as far as I know my car atleast(4g63) the CAS activates the pump when the CAS sees motion or reads or whatever it does the pump starts working. so when the car is turning over the pump is working. sounds like you either got a crossed wire or something is grounded thats not supposed to be. check your MPI relay and listen for the clicking when you turn the key on and off... also you can feel the feed line right after the fuel filter and see if it is cold if it is then your getting fuel.

*1950 buick super riviera

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:15 am 

Where is the mpi relay? And can the CAS (cam angle sensor right?) be put in 180 out? I didn't see a notch on it where it goes in the cam so I thought it could go either way. I know there is no fuel coming out because the fuel return on the rail is completly off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:36 am 

When I was getting no fuel turned out to be my ecu. Pull it out and check it for leakage. Everything else was fine...but no fuel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 am 
Digital Baby Troll

Here's the write up of what I did to diagnose the fuel problem I went through. I did the fuel pump change as well, I'm a college drop out with no job... I have nothing else to do. Mine's an 89 Mirage turbo so I hope its all the same.

After determining that the engine was not starting do to lack of fuel I started doing the basic trouble shooting.

First I pulled the fuel filter and checked to see if there was any pressure coming from the line. Try that first to see if you just have a clogged filter or not as well.
Since no fuel ended up in the bottle I decided that the fuel pump was not working. Also replaced the filter while I was at it.

I then went a head and did all the electrical checks; pulled the ECU and everything looked fine, check the MPI relay and no issues there, and checked the pump with a direct 12 volt source. After all that I decided since the car had been sitting for the past 8 months it would be unlikely to cook the ECU or MPI relay, most likely that the fuel pump motor froze. The link in the manuel posted by Incoltnito has all the info to trouble shoot such issues in the fuel system section under the MPI diagnoses part. I couldn't get the pages used to display, sorry.

I ran into some confusing posts about which relay was the MPI so I took a clear picture of it. Located behind the ash tray
The metal one on the right is the MPI relay, the basic one on the left I'm no sure about.

When the car would not start I did the intelligent thing and put fresh fuel in it. I regretted that shortly since I had to pump a full tank dry. I accessed the fuel tank via the panel under the rear seat for the fuel level gauge.

Then put the pump in and went to work. Also tell your roommates not to come keep you company while smoking cigarets.

Make sure to put up a peace offering so that the other members of your four wheeled family will accept the newest addition.

Amber now approves of her newest little sibling... I hope one of them is infertile because I would hate having to be proud of the offspring.

Sorry, comical break section.

Moving on, Now its time to crawl under the car and start working that tank out.

Even though the tank was empty I decided it would be a good idea to support it anyways.
Look at that, ATM boards are good for something...

Next step is to start loosing the four bolts holding the tank in position. After those were loose I began to drop the tank before disconnecting the fuel lines and such. I wrestled the thing for a little while before I was able to get it low enough to see what was going on, yeah the tank has to come all the way out.

I disconnected the fuel lines at the front of the tank to do leverage issues.

Disconnect the wiring harnesses for the fuel pump and the fuel level gauge as well as filling tubes and let it drop and pull it out.

Disconnect the lines running from the tank to the pump and unbolt the 5 8mm nuts holding the pump in the tank, then pull it on out.

Undo the power lines for the pump, the strap supporting the pump, and then the pump itself from the hanger and there you go, you now have a dead pump on your hands.

I hope I gave you some helpful information man, its my first CSM as well so I figured you're in the same position I was. Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:57 am 
The Silent Administrator

This is going to the archives for sure ..... if not just because I've never seen fuel lines with the factory plating still intact! 8)
Excellent path you took on this Johnn_B.!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:19 pm 

wow you really did mean you had a detailed write up thanks ;) Really busy with work going to see what I can do over the next few days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:51 pm 
Digital Baby Troll

Glad I could help, good luck when you get around to it. And thanks flying eagle, I'm glad you approve of my crack pot methods

72 Dodge-Pedo'van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

your avitar photo is funny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:46 pm 

Quote:
your avitar photo is funny
Yeah, that's definately wild... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:41 pm 

Alright well I got some time in to drop the tank. Going to check wiring to see if the pump is getting power. Also going to check the MPI relay and ECU. I am going to go ahead and put a walbro 255 in since the tank is dropped. I also disconnect the fliter just in case to see if it was clogged. No fuel up to that point either. Where is the fuel pump check connector, someone told me they thought there was some wire you could put 12 volts to and would kick on the fuel pump to test.