4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:59 pm 
The Silent Administrator

So, the GF goes to the mailbox last night and low and behold, she finds my ECU and Chip delivered at last! Jeff Oberholtzer swirled up a whole lot of stuff for me on this one. Here is what the card reads:

(90 Eprom by the way)

(c) 2003-2006 KEYDIVER 03/23/06
7800 RPM REV LIMITER
STOCK 1G 5-SPEED 37 PSI AFPR
RESCALED MAS
450cc INJECTORS/STOCK DEADTIME
2G MAS
NO AIRFLOW CAP
RESCALED FUEL TRIMS
10.5:1 WOT A/F RATIO
OCTANE RESET
ENHANCED CLOSED-LOOP MAPS
SHIFT CE LIGHT @ 7000 RPM
800 RPM IDLE
2X Hz FOR LOGGING KARMAN TO 3212 Hz
FED/AWD
PK CODE (PHANTOM KNOCK RESET CODE)

PHEWW THAT WAS ALOT

So, with a little testing I think this setup should work rather nicely. I just have to figure out how to load info onto my PDA. I have all the programs to log with but nothing is loaded on the PDA as of yet. Anyone have any hints on how to load program onto the PDA through Windows XP ??? 8)

Last edited by Flying Eagle on Sat May 13, 2006 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:12 pm 
Nobody Important

Jeff = chip god

he is an unofficial site sponsor (aka he helped me out twice so far)

-paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:44 pm 
The Silent Administrator

OT Paul, your ECU back yet?
I need to get my datalogging setup for the first time - I'm so newb on that one! Have not had a car worth logging until now. :) I have to be careful with the knock, and get it dyno'd to see what she is doing. I don't want to go to the Mustang dyno yet, because my flywheel is almost in the bag. I have to burn out the bad gas, and then see what she feels like. Oh, and I've been sitting on the ownership transfer for over 1 year now (didn't notice the VIN was mispelled! on the bill of sale "bah" - story for another day). The next step is to acquire a wideband 02 w/bung setup and then maybe grab an exhaust temp sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:32 pm 
Nobody Important

Quote:
OT Paul, your ECU back yet?
yup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:46 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
The next step is to acquire a wideband 02 w/bung setup and then maybe grab an exhaust temp sensor.
I'd recommend going with a Zeitronix ZT-2. That was probably one of the best purchases I've ever made for my car. You can run the wideband as your only oxygen sensor and simulate the narrowband to the ECU so it doesn't realize what's happening. Or if you want you can get really trick and run the wideband signal to the ECU and trick the ECU into recognizing it. This is what I did on my car, so if I go to look at my 02 voltage now it's 2.5v instead of .87v or whatever, you get the picture. 8)

I also have the ZT-2 set up to show my EGT's, but I honestly haven't paid any attention to them since I've had a wideband. I just go for my target a/f ratio and the car runs consistently from there. It's so nice.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:50 am 
The Silent Administrator

Car is running like a charm, but with 1+ year old high test in the tank, it could use a fesh up to say the least. :( Next is to drain the tank and put in some Sunoco Ultra 94. Then I can do some 3rd gear pulls and log with my Palm. I may use the DSM logger program, but out of the list I have above, what would people recommend the most. I found that TMO doesn't load onto a palm, but must? in fact be on a laptop/desktop setup to log something? Well, that is the least of my worries this morning. I'll report back with findings like knock, and as much as I can considering my limited aftermarket equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:49 am 

Flying Eagle, yes the TMO only runs on a laptop and no version for Win XP AFAIK. I use a Palm M130 and MMCD, works great.

92 Laser RS AWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:55 pm 
CSM Junkie

Mr. Flying Eagle, any time you want to borrow my ScanMaster, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:13 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Thanks Mr. nodents! :lol: I'm going to see how much I can learn using the smaller palm programs but if you are in my neck of the woods, just let me know ahead of time, and we'll go for a boot. :D Got the old gas drained at the dealership today, and 94 octane in it's place. Ack $1.15/L.
Might get a 3rd gear pull in tonight to check for knock and the rest of those things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:46 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Okay, the palm or the datalogger cable is not up to snuff ; most likely the latter of the two. I am going to hold off on that problem for the monent and try to clear up some more issues. Had the Colt in the hands of some well meaning but possibly non-guru type Emission testers, and they put the car through a test-mode that wasn't going to run any registration. By regristration, I mean that they can test a car to see if things are alright and show what the puffer machine is doing.

The car was idled to warm, and had not been driven except into the shop bay from a cold start. Gas was over 1 year old!!! and was not smelling to sweet, so that is the best educated guess as to why some of my test numbers were so far off base; oh and a few of my mods! :finga:

Okay, the numbers are as follows:

40km/h
-----------Limit----Reading
HC ppm--68------102 FAIL
CO%-----0.38----0.36 PASS
NO ppm--0789---1887 FAIL
RPM 2074 VALID
Dilution 12.49 VALID

Curb idle
HC ppm--200------301 FAIL
CO%-----1.0-------0.36 PASS
- NO ppm not tested at idle
RPM 0759 VALID
Dilution 11.26 VALID

So, room for improvement but to say the least. No fault on the point of the chip, as I have not given it a chance to do what it was designed to do yet. I am assuming that given my ECU has nothing left of the safety features, would it still be pulling timing or anything due to knock? I have a feeling with the reset features I may be confusing myself a bit here. If I can get my NO ppm down due to bad gas, what is the easiest solution to making the HC drop? My plugs are good, the car boosts like a bat out of hell with the 94 octane and confirmed 3rd gear pull with a spike of 15 PSI, drop to 12 PSI (not much test are around the house on a Sunday!). I think that the boost comes off if I wander even slightly from WOT with my foot though. Still getting used to the acceleration. I hope there is an emission tester in the crowd. :(

Catalytic changed to 2.5" model by previous owner
1.6L
450cc injectors
2G MAS
14b
89 CSM Turbo intake cam straight up
90 DSM exhaust cam straight up, w/16" vacuum at hot idle
Exhaust gaskets are all new and good
800 RPM idle speed determined by the DSM Chip
Octane Reset
PK code
Anything else that will help those that are thinking of what to do?

Last edited by Flying Eagle on Sat May 06, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:02 pm 
CSM Expert

Just get a letter from the mechanic to say your engine isn't stock and you can test under thee "hotrod" clause you'll pass easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:26 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Just get a letter from the mechanic to say your engine isn't stock and you can test under thee "hotrod" clause you'll pass easy.
Berserko is right, that's what I have done. Sucks that we're gonna have to do this every year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:42 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Better than having to fail it and retest all the time, and/or spend money up to the CAP and get your conditional; eventually leading to a MUST past 1-2 years later. :-? So, I guess I have some information to pass on to my shop guys. Hmmmm .... I'll come back with more on this situ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Got the car sniffed again, and this time got it nice and hot: concensus is that my car is going to need some EGR stuck wide open to help me out and have any chance of dropping my values enough. EGR valve works as I tested it to hold 20+ in/hg vacuum on the top tube (open function), and bled down with vacuum on the bottom most tube (the hold down feature). So, short of the fact that EGR will not be dumping at such low RPM's as what is tested, it is time to push things a little. Better HC numbers can be attributed to the system being hot, and to the fuel trims having been dialled in over a couple days of driving.

New Readings taken HOT, and complete flush w/Sunoco 94 Octane in the tank:

40km/h
HC ppm--75------111 FAIL
CO%-----0.42----0.42 PASS
NO ppm--0864---1702 FAIL
RPM 2024 VALID
Dilution 14.19 VALID

Curb idle
HC ppm--200------177 PASS
CO%-----1.0-------0.17 PASS
- NO ppm not tested at idle
RPM 0801 VALID
Dilution 12.84 VALID

So, if a brutal (vacuum pump manipulated) EGR dump can alleviate the burden of HIGH NOx emissions, then just the HC will leave something to be desired. I'm hoping we can test this tomorrow, and thankfully the safety is now valid. More to follow, and thank you to all that have responded to my WTB(orrow) thread in the For Sale Section, I'm hoping not to have to go that route but it eases my mind to know that there are others willing to help out here. :wtg:

Almost forgot that one mechanic suggested setting the motor to base timing via the connector? Well we'll soon see what happens with all this in my head tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:26 pm 
Some call me a god

Let your gas tank go low, put in just enough liters of 87 octane, DO NOT BOOST over stock boost, with the crappy octane. Get some brand new sparky plugs, bpr7es of course, and get it tested, maybe play with the gap of the plugs, and maybe drain a bit of your coolant, let the motor really get hot.

This is how i got my old g32b to pass with all my do hickey upgrades.

I figure the 94 octane may burn cleaner, but it may not be totally burnt, and unburnt fuel is getting out the tail pipe. So with the 87 it gets totally burnt , maybe that may help. I am not sure what my point here is, but i recall doing this.

Also, when i had my b2200, it burnt roughly 1quart of oil every 100kms, i managed to get the thing to pass emissions by leaving the oil level just below low, and drained roughly a gallon of coolant. Made sure it was nearly overheating. (by then, that is the only way it didnt puff smoke), I retarded timing back to just before it pinged. It too passed that second time around. Shortly after, i decided to just rebuild the motor. Then i sold it. What a waste of my time that was, good truck though. sigh*

Just a brain fart.