4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Oval Track Race Set-Up
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:19 pm 
CSM Junkie

I forget my rates, but I have Ground Control Coilovers, with Eibach springs and Koni yellow shocks. I have Hancook Ventu tires (205x40x17) and an adjustable panhard rod, urethane bushings, et al. They are running a local track lap timed run here (.4mi. laps, very slight bank). I want to set up the Colt for better handling. I am thinking about 45psi outside and 40 inside. lower the GC's inside and/raise the outside by about 2 turns, 3 turns right front. Put the Koni's full firm right front and rear with mid firm on the inside. Should this be a decent set-up, or would you recomend something different? Thanks for opinions. (I'll try and find out my spring and shock rates tomorrow.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:12 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Those tires are non race tires right? Youre going to need more pressure on the outside front to keep it from rolling over. On the back you can do one of 2 things to make the car rotate with respect to tire pressures. Either you can go up really high (55psi+) or you can go back down low (33psi hot). I've favored the later recently. Try to get the car setup a little loose. Maybe keep the rebound damping on the right front high to keep it from upsetting the inside front otherwise all your power is just gonna spin it without an LSD.

I'll try to think of more things. Turning one direction is new to me ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:00 pm 
CSM Junkie

:D :o Thanks for input. I have LSD. I'm now thinking 55psi rt.frnt., 45 rt r. 35 on the lft., f&r,. I'll keep the ht. and rebound as noted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:42 pm 

How'd it go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:52 pm 
CSM Junkie

:) things went well. I didn't go as far as I had mentioned. Another friend, who actually crews with stock car racing, advised that it is not a height and shock diparity that has a large effect on the turn set-up. He said that they will use different spring strengths and try and keep the car as low as possible under race restrictions. Well, I can't adjust the spring tensions. I still went better on the time attack, and won two head-on runs. I blew an IC tube and lost boost on my last run. Rain has stopped the last two weeks.
Auto cross is still fun, but I do have trouble adjusting to how those cones look under speed rather than walking through the layout. Later, Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

That's great, Bill. Give us some details on the time attack, and your success. Any pic's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:26 pm 

my understanding is that staggered caster angles are choice for running circle/oval track.

SuperPro has offset control arm bushings, but you may be able to achieve the same w/camber plates.

pics would be cool - sounds fun!