4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Upgraded Brake Pads
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:26 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Just ordered some Porterfield R4E's for the front from RRE and some stainless rear brakelines. I'm not upgrading the front brakes much (just pads) until I get rid of the captured brake setup. Should arrive late next week as they are obviously not an instock item. :(

The R4Es are rotor killers but at least they'll stop the car. Last night I was fading the brakes coming down flagstaff. I'll flush them this weekend and then put some Motul in it when I put the new lines on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:17 pm 

rotor killers on captives, nice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:28 pm 
CSM Junkie

i have metal masters up front and ultamites in the rear, i'd tell you how it feels but i havn't even finished braking them in yet. But even in brakein period, they work great. do stainless steal lines really help a lot or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:25 am 

Stainless lines reduce flex and keep the pedal firmer. They are not a necessity however i've seen a number of GVR4 brake lines bust so I throw stainless lines on all the new old cars I buy. Good insurance and a bit of performance thrown in.

The metal masters won't hold up for 2 laps on the track. RRE can get you some R4S's which are a bit easier on rotors than the E's but even those are going to get their butt kicked hot lapping. I'm hoping by the time these pads kill the rotors I can just upgrade to the Wilwoods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:23 pm 
Some call me a god

This topic was unlocked by me, I don't know why it was locked in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:50 pm 

Installed the pads last night and took SteveW for a spin to break them in and bed them. Well all I have to say is locking the wheels is no longer a problem. I can't wait to get the Azenis on Thursday!

They SUCK when cold. They squeek and they don't stop well until you get a little heat in them. But as soon as you get them hot the bite like mad. Locks super easy and good modulation as well. No fading with them and super blue ATE tonight at least. Can't wait for the track school on Saturday! The rotors aren't going to last long since they are already questionable but I'll be swapping to the wilwoods next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:28 pm 

ive been using hawk hps pads on my 00LS big brake swapped 93. nice nice. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:11 am 

Are the HPS's a street pad or race pad? Street pads DO NOT stand up to the track, especially at high altitude and with more power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:15 pm 

not really sure. they are leaps and bounds better than the EBC green stuff i was running before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:43 pm 

Quote:
ive been using hawk hps pads on my 00LS big brake swapped 93. nice nice. ;)
The hps is a autox\street pad , great initial bite. Last longer than the ebc kevlars I tried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:34 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
i have metal masters up front and ultamites in the rear, i'd tell you how it feels but i havn't even finished braking them in yet. But even in brakein period, they work great. do stainless steal lines really help a lot or what?
I run the Axxis Ultimate Ceramics on my DSM w/ the 2-piston caliper upgrade and I have to say, I really don't like them that much. I guess for a street pad they're just fine, but I'd NEVER go to the track with them. I've already noticed the limitations of the Axxis Ultimates with just street driving. I like their cold bite, but I'm not pleased with their hot bite at all, and I don't feel confidant making repeated hard stops or anything like that. They seem like they fade really easily, but they're quiet, don't dust much, and feel pretty smooth.

As far as Porterfield Pads go, I absolutely love them. I ran R4-S's on my DSM before these Axxis pads and they lasted 35,000+ miles without any problems aside from wearing out. They had nice cold bite and never faded on me once, but what they did do was dust an unbeleiveable amount. Holy crap, SO much dust, and I hear the R4-E's are worse. Anyone i've ever talked that's ran R4-E's has told me they'll never buy another pad again, at least for racing anyway they're pretty much awesome, and that's all that RRE runs on any of their race cars.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:03 am 

I just put on some ceramatalic pads on the Colt and man what a difference.

I purchased them at Discount auto and I will post up the brand if anyone is interested. They came with shim's and are currently very quite.

I am not sure about the dust but they work very well on the street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:59 pm 

what brand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:31 pm 

Quote:
what brand?
Friction Master they are actually full ceramic.
Part number CMX328

The breaking is still really good and the dust is minimal compared to the old organic pads I removed.