4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: My coilover rates
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:36 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I'm ordering some Koni Yellows and GC coilovers. Going to start with 500front and 500rear in 7" free length. I'll update here with install and ride comments.

It might be stiff to some of you but lots of similar hatches (honda and VW) use much bigger rates than these even so I'm going to try it. I'll probably add a bit more rear bias and revalve the koni's later this season but I want the wife and I to try this setup first.

Also going to be trying some bigger swaybars front and rear and find or make some camber plates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:25 pm 
Some call me a god

try here

www.diamondstarspecialties.com

they have more aftermarket suspension stuff for csm's than almost any other place.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:31 pm 

I will get ahold of them however I emailed with no reply so I'll have to call.

I"m not to worried about parts. Anything I can't find I'll make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:54 pm 
I ran 350fr, 450rr. With race tires I was still bottoming out the fronts just a little.

Careful with how you run a rear bar. To me they seemed to be binding the rear suspension. Made the car very unpredictable. If I still had it, I would try running 450f, and 600r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:53 pm 

jmauld,

did you have replaced bushings, stock or otherwise? I will experiment with rear bars or make an adjustable setup. Thanks for the spring rate info. I will try the 500/500 and adjust from there. I'm curious if the OTS konis will handle the 500+ rates. If not I will send in and revalve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:17 am 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Quote:
jmauld,

did you have replaced bushings, stock or otherwise? I will experiment with rear bars or make an adjustable setup. Thanks for the spring rate info. I will try the 500/500 and adjust from there. I'm curious if the OTS konis will handle the 500+ rates. If not I will send in and revalve.
From what I remember the Koni's can handle up to 600 lbs before needing to be revalved. Then agian it may be 500. It's been a while since I had the facts on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:46 am 

Quote:
Quote:
jmauld,

From what I remember the Koni's can handle up to 600 lbs before needing to be revalved. Then agian it may be 500. It's been a while since I had the facts on them.
DSM guys claim much less, honda guys claim more and Koni won't give me a number. I'm going to start here and I'll keep everyone updated on what happens. AutoX for today got canceled so I may have the setup installed for time trials school on the 14th or if not then in time for the next autoX we can attend on June 5th.

I'm on the hunt for WIDE 15" wheels now. Seeing what I can get that's wider than 7"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:13 pm 
Some call me a god

PIV..... 500 lbs rear is way too stiff man.

Now if it's gonna ge ONLY a track car, then comfort isn't an issue.
Honestly, I'd start with 400lb rear and you should be fine

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:52 pm 

Quote:
PIV..... 500 lbs rear is way too stiff man.
It will be fine. I'll probably go stiffer :finga: Yes I will drive it on the street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:19 pm 

Those potholes are going to feel real nice :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:06 pm 
Nobody Important

Louie currently has 450# front, 350# rear (due to coil lengh I can't swap them)

Once I purchase the correct springs I will probably go a little stiffer (550ish)

Been a while since I drove the car though, so I kinda forgot what it felt like :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:28 pm 

Quote:
Louie currently has 450# front, 350# rear (due to coil lengh I can't swap them)

Once I purchase the correct springs I will probably go a little stiffer (550ish)

Been a while since I drove the car though, so I kinda forgot what it felt like :oops:
How is the 450 front? I'm worried I'll end up around 700-800 front and 900 rear after the revalve but we'll see. I"m going to put a stroker in this car eventually but i'm holding off on power mods for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:13 pm 
Quote:
jmauld,

All stock bushings.

NEW OTS konis should be able to handle the 500lb rates, for at least a short period of time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:51 pm 
Nobody Important

Quote:
How is the 450 front? I'm worried I'll end up around 700-800 front and 900 rear after the revalve but we'll see. I"m going to put a stroker in this car eventually but i'm holding off on power mods for now.
I loved how it felt. Roads suck around here so I'm always doing the pothole dance but its easy when the car turns like it is on rails :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:32 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I loved how it felt. Roads suck around here so I'm always doing the pothole dance but its easy when the car turns like it is on rails :)

What about those 350# in the rear???