4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC-05:00

For SCCA Improved Touring, which is a better choice?
C52 Hatch 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
C62 Sedan 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 9
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:46 am 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Okay, before you vote, consider things from a performance perspective, not which one you like best. I'd like to go road racing, and to start out it's gonna be el cheapo style. I'm having a hard time finding a '91-92 Mirage GS or a '94 Galant GS, so I've decided to rock the 12 valve. Plus it's already homologated so I don't have to do any paperwork.

Now you have to take into consideration a few factors. The solid rear is a bit of a disadvantage, especially on California's less than glass smooth tracks. To offset this I'm thinking the extra wheelbase of the sedan will help. Another possible advantage of the sedan is weight distribution. I'm allowed to be 2270 lbs wet, and can only add balast in the passenger footwell. The rear doors and some extra weight twards the rear of the car will help get as close to a 50/50 weight distribution as possible. At least that's the line of thinking between myself and my illustrious Director of R&D. What say you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:44 am 

I'm working on getting the 4G coupe classed in ITC. If it goes through, It will be better for you. I think it will. At a proposed weight of 2050, it would be a good choice. If I were going right now, I would go hatchback for the lighter weight and more chassis rigidity. When are you looking to start roadracing?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:10 am 
CSM Expert

DSMracer:

Why don't you use a Hyundai Elantra all it is a different skinned C62 it comes with either a 4g61 or 4g67 (The 4g67 feels great) You can put it on a bit of a diet and get the weight down nicely. It comes with all the things you would want to upgrade out of the box (Bigger brakes, Larger sway bar. control arms with bolt in ball joints etc etc.) We all know its still a colt When mitsu retooled for the 4G every thing showed up for Hyundai to build the Elantra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:51 pm 
CSM O.G.

DSMracer-I can give you the email addy of a guy that i knew was selling his mirage GS for 1,500. that was a while ago, maybe its a grand by now. you want it?

PM me.

~joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:19 pm 

Jason, As it sits right now the only CSM classified in IT is the 89 1.5L. Anything else will have to be classified. I think the GS would go to ITB as would probably any thing with the 1.6 engine just knowing recent classifications. The elantra will also need classification as well. I would suspect ITB or possibly ITA on that one.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:53 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Those were my guesses as well. I've classified cars before so it's not a new process. The '94 Galant GS would likely be ITS, but I would push to get it down in ITA. That car would be my first choice, but finding one without a sunroof is proving difficult. They're actually not too rare though. The Mirage GS however is extremely rare, and I've seen just one for sale in the last year and a half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:48 pm 

I know I'm in the same process right now for autocross. I'm working on getting all of the NA CSM's classed in FSP all on the same line to allow for Update/Backdate between the lines. I finally caught the ear of a member of the advisory board and it looks like it will get done.

Mike