4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: stalling engine
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hi I hope you could help me. My problem is a stalling engine. The car is a colt 200 gt 1991 with 240000km. I had the check engine falshing two days ago. But now the engine was stalling two time for no reason. Once after braking at a stop sign and the other time hapenned in acceleration. Have any idea what it could be, and if one of you know how to check the fault code it will be good to.
Thanks for your help

Post subject:
CSM Expert

Guest:

It could be a few things the most likely sounds like you might have a faulty ECU (computer) it could be an O2 sensor but I don't think it would stall while acceleration. To retrieve turn your car on to the "ON" position and put an analog meter on the top left and bottom right pins in your diagnostic connector on the under the drivers side dash by the fuse box long sweeps stand for the 10's columm short sweeps stand for the 1's column Follow this document to explain what your code is:

http://www.4g61t.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306

Post subject:
Restricted Newbie

Thank Berserko

I tried to check for a faulty code but with a test light, the light doesn't came on. I had no better result with a multimeter because it just keeping sweeping at a regular beat. I could be wrong but if the check engine flash the system is suposse to keep the code in memorie. What are the effect of a bad O2 sensor. Have an other idea to help me about what I can check.

Thank for your help

Post subject:
CSM Expert

Just 1 regular sweep? refereing to that code chart it appears you are a victim of a dead ECU. Not a big shocker. to replace the ECU goto your local auto wrecker you can find an ECU behind the passenger side kick panel (right in front of the door) just unplug it and plug it into your car (remember if you have auto get the ECU from an auto etc.) After that your car should be reliable again.

Post subject:
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I seem to recall a regular slow sweeping was the sign of an "all ok" sign from the ECU. I could be wrong on this.

One thing that does go bad on them alot (if your car is a 1.5L) is the cam angle sensor/distributor. They can usually be had for pretty cheap from your local U pull It lot. FYI, I've been through 2 of these sensors on my 1.5.

Post subject:
CSM Expert

According to

http://www.4g61t.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306

They list code 1 as ECU and code 9 as All ok.

Post subject:
Restricted Newbie

Thank

Another thing, how can the engine could still running well most of the time and just stall sometime if the ecu is dead. If the ecu is dead the engine are not supose to run bad. If it's possible if the ecu is dead that the car after a stall refuse the restart forever or it can still be drive for a wile with the bad ecu.

Post subject:
the ECU could have intermittent problems.

Post subject:
CSM Expert

Guest:

I've heard both ways either it will leave you stranded or you can have difficulties andstill drive it for a few weeks then it will leave you stranded. So it would be in your best interest to buy a new ECU ASAP.

Tim

Post subject:
no, don't buy one! Just have it repaired if it goes bad. It should only cost like $25 to have a dsm member repair it. If it's bad. That might not be the case with the problem that he is having.