4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Since there is no available Intake for the non turbo mirage, you have to be creative.

Remove the stock airbox.
Cut off the part between the top two air filer tabs.
Replace and notice how much better you air/ fuel ratio is.

(It sounds pretty cool too!)

I'll add pictures when I develop my roll.

I recieved a 1990 Mirage as a wedding gift. At first I was like, ok, I'll just drive it untill it blows up (bad rings in cylinder #4) but the more I mess with it, The more I want to keep it. Im always looking for new ideas on how to customise, so hook it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StillAHondaFreak on 2002-04-06 22:04 ]</font>

Post subject:
Restricted Newbie

Whut i did iz i bought a 95 civic intake and then i cut it shorter so i have a short ram intake. Make sure u get rid of the air filter box too. It works perfectly good and and sounds like V-tec too. :smile:

Post subject:
Restricted Newbie

howare you attatching the MAF sensor?

I recieved a 1990 Mirage as a wedding gift. At first I was like, ok, I'll just drive it untill it blows up (bad rings in cylinder #4) but the more I mess with it, The more I want to keep it. Im always looking for new ideas on how to customise, so hook it

Post subject:
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I was playing this weekend and decided to plug the hole underneath the honeycomb (on the MAF). Put it back together and noticed a huge increase in acceleration, I'm geussing it's because the ecu thinks more air is going in then what it is tuned to, because ALL the air has to pass through the MAF and none through the other hole, hence giving the engine more fuel. Well worth the 15min job, I used duct tape but a wine cork would probably fit perfect

Post subject:
Restricted Newbie

Are you talking about plugging the hole that a wine cork would fit in almost perfectly?I see there are 2 holes side by side.One is opened all the way through and the other is closed.I taped up the open one and my car idled kinda bad and had no real pickup.Maybe I have the wrong hole on the MAF taped.

Post subject:

You got the right one. I don't know why it works for me but it does, most people try to allow more air in, In this case I think it just puts more fuel in.. Same difference as more air i geuss.. Im no mechanic.. I just like to tinker around :smile:.

Post subject:
CSM Junkie

to get optimum performance you need to reach a air/fuel mixture around (if my memory is good) 15.7/1 which means 15.7mass of air for 1 mass of fuel. So if you want more power, you want to get more air AND fuel, if not youll get either a poor or rich mixture. Poor mixture will make your engine runnig hot, rich mixture will make carbon deposit in you combustion chamber as you are not burning fuel correctly.

But remember, what comes in has to come out. so the more fuel/air you bring in your engine bigger you exhaust will have to be.

I've heard about the mivec engine that runs at 24/1 air fuel mixture w/o turbo? is that possible. the engine might be clean but hell it might be hot! Anybody heard of it?

Post subject:
Some call me a god

actually, stoichiometric (optimum) is 14.7 to 1, a turbo egine under full throttle makes best power around 13.0 to 1 or slightly richer.

Post subject:
CSM Junkie

[quote:3ic2rzvq]
On 2002-04-22 17:40, Crackerman wrote:
actually, stoichiometric (optimum) is 14.7 to 1, a turbo egine under full throttle makes best power around 13.0 to 1 or slightly richer.
[/quote:3ic2rzvq]

Thank you crackerman, i didnt know about the turbo cars, but that will be usefull, thank you.
Olivier

Post subject:
Some call me a god

13 to 1 is also walking a very thin line, because if boost spikes, then u have a very lean situation, and things melt, 12.5 to 1 is probably safer, but 13 to 1 will make more power, if u usa an afc and an electrnic boost controller, it will be ok.

Post subject: upgrading injectors???

From the jist I gasther the 1.5 is just tuned to run lean, & by decreasing the air going in you correct the AFR & it runs slightly better/faster. but instead of cutting down on the air, can't you just increase the fuel? nothing crazy that the stock exhaust couldnt handle,(i.e. 450s/390s), but I have a set of 240s out of a DSM 2.0 n/t (not terribly more than the stock 182s on there) & perhaps I'll thow on a spare 1.6t throttle body I have to increase airflow. if 240cc is too much, I'm sure I could find a medium ground from the 1.8 sohc DSM, or 1.6/1.8 dohc mitsu/hiyoondiy injectors. :-?

Post subject:

Sounds like a good idea! I would'a loved to play more with this engine but i've been very neglectent to modding this car without a donor car first. The car is off the road for a month and should have a complete makeover

Post subject: ???
CSM Expert

The ECU will correct the mixtures back to stock quite quickly when you mod the MAFS in that manner - up to 20%, then it will throw a CEL on the O2 sensor and stop correcting mixtures altogether. When you think about it, you should be opening up the other hole not blocking the existing one. You want LESS restriction in the intake part not more!

Changing injectors and rubbish like that on a NT 4G15 is crazy. The stock injectors easilly have enough capacity for anything you might do bar N2O or FI. More fuel doesn't mean more power, more fuel AND air equals more power.

Larger injectors will just give poor fuel economy in the long run and carbon up your motor, wash the oil off the rings etc etc.

Sorry for the rant - but this NA big injector thing is a bit of a 'pet hate' of mine.