Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: MT blues
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:59 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hi all,
I have a 91 model, manual transmission.
For a couple of years now I've been having this problem with a notchy 1st gear, only when the car is running.. doesn't matter if it's cold or warm.

Anyways, just to make a long story short.. tranny checked, no problem synchromesh or such.
Entire clutch kit replaced, pressure plate, clutch..bearing etc and flywheel.
Cutch cable replaced. Different transmission fluids tried.

And it always feel the same ..exact same weird annoying notch in first.. it doesn't get better or worse.
Only first is notchy, all other gears are fine including reverse and only when the engine is running.

Finally an old mechanic told me that it could be the linkage cables and I couldn't find a replacement for them anyways.. he claims he can try to fix them.(no idea how, didn't ask cause very sceptical..) for most time, I always thought an incomplete release causing a slight drag that could only be felt in first, now I don't know what to think anymore.

I don't know if he's right since the shift is smooth when engine is off, shouldn't be just as notchy if the engine isn't running?

Any help appreciated as this has been causing me a headache for quite a while.

Post subject: Re: MT blues
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:10 pm 

Welcome to the world of Mitsu transmissions...!
Usually it's the transmission fluid that needs a change. But you already changed that multiple times.
Could be a worn out syncro, too. Then a rebuild is necessary.
The linkage can be adjusted. Did it in the past, forgot how to do it, now need to do it again. Darn brain's a sieve.
Also the shifter assembly can wear out and needs a rebuild. Just enter "dsm shifter bushings" on youtube and you'll get myriads of how-tos on that. Our CSM shifters are close enough to DSM shifters. A specific video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDa3tW3m3-c

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:10 am 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks GTIProll. The car is fixed, turned out to be the linkage wires needed adjustment and the shifter seat was quite loose, new bolts and bushings etc. Strange though, only first gear was notcĥy, thought this kind of crap would affect all shifts.

Hope this helps others facing the same problem.
More than 200k miles on the clock so.. been through almost every shitty problem one can imagine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:03 am 
The Silent Administrator

Bushings in the pivot points for the shifter arm/base assembly and the arms on the transmission top side/cable arm mounts to the bell housing, can all wear out as they are plastic or rubber in nature.

I went through the entire shifting system in my C53A, and things are really smooth for daily operation.

I have been in a car with massive side to side/front to back play in the entire shifting system, and have seen just how much that can affect shifting ability. I would honestly not drive a car with those issues, because trouble always follows stuff like that in terms of latent failures ...

Happy to hear you have solved your shifting issue zmirage!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:53 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Bushings in the pivot points for the shifter arm/base assembly and the arms on the transmission top side/cable arm mounts to the bell housing, can all wear out as they are plastic or rubber in nature.

I went through the entire shifting system in my C53A, and things are really smooth for daily operation.

I have been in a car with massive side to side/front to back play in the entire shifting system, and have seen just how much that can affect shifting ability. I would honestly not drive a car with those issues, because trouble always follows stuff like that in terms of latent failures ...

Happy to hear you have solved you shifting the issue zmirage!

Hi tim, what brand or material did you on the bushings got any links on where to get them. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:31 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Mikbik

I went on partsouq.com and found all the parts numbers in the diagrams for whichever transmission part or chassis/body side parts I was rebuilding. Then compared parts availability at partsouq and amayama.com. From there, you know if you can order a complete set of what you need. Those parts in my case were still available for the F5M33 side and the shifter concoction I have inside the cabin. That could have changed since I ordered them a few years ago.