4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:54 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I have a 1989 dodge colt that I drive everyday. I love it. I recently moved to Arizona, and came to the conclusion that I need air conditioning. I believe there was an option for it when the car came out, and it appears the stock control panel even has an option for it. I was just curious on what you guys think would be the best way to go about add it. I would prefer the cheapest option. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:32 am 

I was thinking about that, too. You'll need the lines and assorted periphery. Most people throw out their A/C when swapping in a 4G63. Maybe someone has these parts left in their garage or basement. You should and need to do an R134 retrofit. As described here:

http://4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... hilit=r134

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:04 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
I was thinking about that, too. You'll need the lines and assorted periphery. Most people throw out their A/C when swapping in a 4G63. Maybe someone has these parts left in their garage or basement. You should and need to do an R134 retrofit. As described here:

So... you think it could be just plug and chug, along with the conversation. I have a feeling it might not be that simple sense it never came with ac factory installed. I was thinking about getting a universal kit from ebay like the one linked below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Kit-Univers ... %7Ciid%3A1

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:08 am 

That could indeed be cheaper and less tiresome than hunting down every single part of an A/C system that's 25-30 years old. But I recon you'll run into issues with the high pressure piping here.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:04 am 
The Silent Administrator

The AC system consists of many extra pieces that are not on the non ac equipped cars. You will have to find all the tubing in good shape, evaporator core that is installed into the dash - not sure if the dash changed or it can plug right in, but any plugs in the firewall will have to be removed and or changed with parts that should be on the lines inbound. Also, the condenser and fan setup will change as likely base models do not have the second fan and possibly do not have the harness with fuse block, etc all wired in. You would need to find all that, and get it running just to confirm if the compressor is good, clutch is working properly and the wiring has no issues whatsoever. Yes, you would be removing the dash assembly to get a new HVAC control panel in there also. Radiator should be a full length - side to side version and not the half width also. For all the hassle, I would buy another car and if the motor and transmission in your car were better, I would swap them between the two and sell the unwanted car. You would save a ton of time and hassle. As I age, I tend to err on the side of caution versus time wasted.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:22 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
The AC system consists of many extra pieces that are not on the non ac equipped cars. You will have to find all the tubing in good shape, evaporator core that is installed into the dash - not sure if the dash changed or it can plug right in, but any plugs in the firewall will have to be removed and or changed with parts that should be on the lines inbound. Also, the condenser and fan setup will change as likely base models do not have the second fan and possibly do not have the harness with fuse block, etc all wired in. You would need to find all that, and get it running just to confirm if the compressor is good, clutch is working properly and the wiring has no issues whatsoever. Yes, you would be removing the dash assembly to get a new HVAC control panel in there also. Radiator should be a full length - side to side version and not the half width also. For all the hassle, I would buy another car and if the motor and transmission in your car were better, I would swap them between the two and sell the unwanted car. You would save a ton of time and hassle. As I age, I tend to err on the side of caution versus time wasted.
Thank you, you confirmed my suspicion that it's going to be way too much work to try to add the original a/c. However, i'm curious to hear your opinion on the universal underdash a/c system that I linked in the comment above. If I install it myself, I think i can did it done for around $400.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:54 am 
The Silent Administrator

I have enough spare stuff to repair my system, like wiring harness and fuse block. Stuff isn’t floating around on the forum like it was.

That aside, I will endeavour to look at the universal system.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:04 pm 
The Silent Administrator

A retro fit system like that is designed to installed on a vehicle being built or modified. It isn’t designed to be put in most cars. It can’t be used in this case. If you had a 32 Ford, it would fit.