4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Sway bar bushings
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:46 pm 
CSM Expert

Anyone know if there are poly replacements for the 1.5L sway bar? The two round discs that mount the bar to the control arm and also the two bushings that hold the bar to the vehicle?

Post subject: Re: Sway bar bushings
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:29 am 
CSM Junkie

do you have diameter of bar? I have some poly bushings that mount bar to frame for evo 1-3. didnt like them and took them right back off next day. 15 shipped

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:55 am 

I believe that the front end sway bar links from a 1st generation Nissan 240sx will swap in I'm not certain whether they are normally equipped with polyurethane bushings but there are aftermarket endlinks with polyurethane bushings available for the Nissan. I think they may be slightly longer than the original equipment sway bar end links, but looking at the Moog brand endlinks for the Nissan there are some Mitsubishi applications listed. I'll have to find that part number for you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:41 pm 

Today I pulled a front wheel off and got to business with my calipers. The threaded shaft of the front sway bar end links measures 3/8 inch diameter. The dry, crumbly remains of my end link bushings measured 1 1/8 inch outer diameter, and the height of each bushing along the threaded shaft was approximated to be 5/8" to 3/4" inch, accounting for the slightly ( shaped retaining washers. Additionally, I measured 15.8mm-15.09mm outer diameter on the sway bar of my 3-speed automatic 4G15 hatch.

For the end link bushings, I believe this will work and has enough pieces to do two CSM's: Energy Suspension 9.8105 Amazon
A picture of the back of the Energy Suspension package on Amazon gives bushing dimensions of 3/4" height, 11/16" nipple outer diameter (the end facing your sway bar), 1 1/8" outer diameter, and 3/8" inner diameter, in agreement with the measurements I took. The nipple diameter I did not measure on my Mirage, I don't think my bushings would survive removal.

I don't think that the Moog parts for the 1.5 or the Nissan have polyurethane bushings as I had mentioned, anyhow the part number for the 1.5 is K9471, an for the Nissan, K9825, which looks maybe 2 inches longer than the 1.5 CSM part.

In the interest of giving credit where it is due, I picked up the part number here after reading somewhere about someone using the Nissan end links on a CSM.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:29 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I bought a moog sway bar rebuild kit for my 1.5 sway bar. Not sure if they are poly. I have them around here somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:01 pm 

Stopped by the local parts house and picked up the Energy Suspension 9.8105 bushings. Consider it a confirmed fit for the endlinks. I reused the Mitsubishi washers because the Energy Suspension washers were too thick to catch a thread on the nut with the new bushings having never been compressed. I got the right front swapped in before it got too dark to work. Photo below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:10 am 
CSM Expert

This is fantastic! What about the inner oval split bushing that secures the bar to the chassis?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:11 am 
CSM Expert

Quote:
Stopped by the local parts house and picked up the Energy Suspension 9.8105 bushings. Consider it a confirmed fit for the endlinks. I reused the Mitsubishi washers because the Energy Suspension washers were too thick to catch a thread on the nut with the new bushings having never been compressed. I got the right front swapped in before it got too dark to work. Photo below.
What is the letter on the end of the part number? There seems to be various options.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:26 am 
Some call me a god

Following, I would like to do this as well.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:05 am 
The Silent Administrator

Check SuperPro for their listing of poly frame side bushings for the front bar. I have the C53A (slash) Elantra version, so they likely make the base bushings also.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:30 am 

The letter at the end of the Energy Suspension part number, G or R indicates the color G=graphite/black and R=red. Some of the black bushings contain graphite while the red bushings do not, according to Energy Suspension's FAQ page.