4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Cranks but wont start
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:59 pm 

Been having some problems with a relay clicking furiously then the car would stall. Hit the key and it would fire right back up. Would only happen maybe once a week or so. Well on friday after work the car wouldnt start. Just crank and crank and crank. Ive read that it could be the relay or the ecu. Is there anyway to test and find out which is the issue? Also what other cars can i get the relay from? All the parts dealers around here have to order it and its $120. 2nd question can i run the 4g37 ecu on a stock 4g15? Or does anyone have a ecu to sell? All help is much appreciated since my car is sitting on the jobsite right now.

1994 Isuzu Pickup 3.2 V6 swapped 5spd

1988 Isuzu Pickup LS 2.6 5spd. Frame rot, hacked to pieces and scrapped

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:00 pm 
The happy administrator

Which relay are you talking about? Have you tried switching the relay with another relay (depending on which one you're talking about). Yes, you can run a 4g37 ecu on a stock 4g15, usually want to do that with the 37 injectors as well since the other ecu will change the flow rate to a shorter dwell time (for bigger injectors).

Have you opened your ecu up? If the caps are dead, there will be a slight fishy smell when you first open it and the area where the caps are soldered to will have some goop leaked onto the board.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:14 pm 

Quote:
Which relay are you talking about? Have you tried switching the relay with another relay (depending on which one you're talking about). Yes, you can run a 4g37 ecu on a stock 4g15, usually want to do that with the 37 injectors as well since the other ecu will change the flow rate to a shorter dwell time (for bigger injectors).

Have you opened your ecu up? If the caps are dead, there will be a slight fishy smell when you first open it and the area where the caps are soldered to will have some goop leaked onto the board.
Shiny metal relay behind ash tray, i dont think theres any other relays on the car i could switch it with. I have the parts for 37 upgrade but i wanted to try the ecu in the car to see if it would start or not. I figure if it didnt start with the 37 then my stock ecu may still be good. Havent pulled apart stock ecu yet. The car isnt at my house so its hard to test things right now so im trying to get a few options to test out tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:28 pm 

Okay finally got car towed home and before we towed it we unhooked battery since we needed battery for trailer winch. About a hour later we unloaded car and put battery back in and it fired up. So im figuring the ecu reset may have made it work for now? Havent pulled ecu to sniff it yet. Relay seems to be working fine. If it is ecu are all the years interchangable? When searching by part # my ecu fits 91-92 but ive found one for 89-90 online for sale. Thabks fellas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:02 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Pretty sure all 89-92 ECI model ECU, whether auto or stick shift, are compatible.
Heck, it would we nice to see some Excel ECU's cause they used the same motor too, but I recall the likelyhoo of later models using Map sensors and therefore different wiring harness's just like '93+ ECU's so scratch Excels for now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:34 am 

I actually have a set of 1.8 4G37 injectors, maf, throttle body and ecu for sale in the FS section. I see that you already have an ecu but it never hurts to have a spare for these cars. Also for the price I'm asking ($75 + shipping) it's like you're getting the ecu for free anyway.