4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: lower control arm 3g 1.5
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:53 pm 

So I have to replace ball joints etc. on my 3g 1.5. I'm in the process of doing it now, and need to know whats the best way to get to the bolt in the front of the lower control arm. The head of the bolt is easy to get to, the nut on the back is the issue.

So I have the ball joints already, and i couldnt find anyone that carried the lower control arm and ball joints together...anyone know of any place that still have them for the 3g?

since i have the ball joints already I'm trying to remove the lower control arm, and then bring it to a machine shop to get the old one pressed out and new one pressed in...so far with rust/corroded bolts its been a headache, and i know i have to make a trip to the yard for some already.

Any tips?

Should i remove the 2 rear bolts/clamp first? any info would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:56 pm 
CSM Junkie

You don't need to take it off. You can rent a tool from AutoZone (for free) that you can press it out with (making sure you remove the cir-clip first). It takes about 5 minutes per side with the free tool.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:59 pm 

are you sure its to remove the old one from the lower control arm? one i saw at the store was for separating the ball joint from the steering knuckle...and if they do rent one, will it also press the new one in?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:09 pm 

I just called to be sure before i left, since gas in the truck is expensive, they did say they had one used for pressing the old one out and new one in, so thanks man much appreciated and this will save me more cash/risk of breaking bolts removing them!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:26 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I am curious add to how to get to that nut also, I need to tighten mine and have tried, but its stuck. What size is the front bolt for the lca?? At this point I'm gonna grind of the head and pull the bolt out so I can replace it and tighten things up. I think that is causing some steering issues I have. Thanks

Post subject: lower control arm 3g 1 5
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:33 pm 
Restricted Newbie

The inner bush wears on the lower control arm but thats all, there was no recall