4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:24 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hey guys, been lurking for awhile now learnt my fair share of colt stuff from here, but now im stumped.
1992 dodge colt gt 4g15 5speed 340xxx kms.

Ive had it for about 8 months now, when i picked it up i just diddled around takin it easy, as time went on i drove it harder and harder. Than i was chewing through tires like nothing so i chilled out.

now my issues are; when i fire it up in the a.m it leaves black on the ground, stanky black nastyness, alot too.
when its cold i need to sit in it and watch the revs otherwise it sometimes decides to die or keep going, it runs like CRAP
untill it reaches temp. when driving and i let off the gas, pop bang bang pop, more than i seem to think it should(it has muffler delete, but still backfires more than i think it should. It also had major powerloss below 3k and was doing the suby, So i checked the timing, wayyyyy off. Now the dizzy is cranked all the way clockwise, and it runs decently better than before, but has that hollow power sound out the exh, and feels like it is lacking power, i know it doesent have much but i know what it had before it decide to choke.

What are the common failures with these csm cars?

I have changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, dizzy, seafoamed the intake.
im hoping its just one of the sensors, otherwise i will redo the ignition and mechanical timing?

you boys know your colts, and i made the change from honda to here, so any help please

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:39 pm 

check the timing belt.. I bet it skipped a tooth or 2 which is why you had to move the dist all the way that it can go.. that first place I would start.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:13 am 
Some call me a god

Hold the phone....it only acts this way when the engine is cold started? Did it run okay after warming up ever, before you adjusted the timing? Also, did you ground that terminal connector in order to do the timing properly?

I was suspect that something was actually making his engine flood with fuel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:33 am 
Restricted Newbie

The timing was all good on the dizzy end, and the cam marks line up with its mark, but the crank mark seems way off. The belt looks solid and tight, i was told it was replaced when i picked the car up. So im going to take it apart and put it back together and hope its good.
it always ran a bit rough when cold, but it ran pretty good when at temp. It rips pretty good for how out of whack it is, but my dad wants to give it a shot so were going to try.

any advice on what to be careful of?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:34 am 

Quote:
any advice on what to be careful of?
dont break stuff..

best advise ever lol...

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:42 pm 
Some call me a god

I side with you on realigning the timing belt marks.

Look into replacing the water temperature sensor on the thermostat housing. It's $17 and it may fix the problem with it running so rich before it warms up. There are more than one sensor on the thermostat housing. If you find a one-wire connector going to the thermostat, that is only for the temp gauge on your dash.....so the other one would be the sensor that tells the ECU to dump fuel when it goes bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:03 pm 

When I got my colt the guy that I bought it from was a drunken idiot drove it like it was a gokart. anyway my dad and I took it apart and found the bottom end pully to the timing came loose so it was making the timing go all wacko and I lost all power until he would move around the dist. something to look into....