4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:49 pm 
Restricted Newbie

So my colt has an issue where in the rain it will misfire after a bit of a drive, but fine in dry weather. Also the check engine light is on. So the other day taking the exit off the freeway once i got to the light it just died. No spark, turns over easily and smells like gas. Ive changed the cap and rotor, spark plug wires and other regular maintenance, just cant figure it out. I'm thinking its the ignition coil, but it could be the ecu? I have no idea where the ECU is on this car! Ive looked everywhere! I've got the 87 body style with 92 insides, stock from Plymouth in Canada, Eh! 4g15 12v Fuel injected. PLEASE HELP!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:58 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

If I remember correctly coil is located in the distributor? I have had two 1.5 cars randomly produce no spark on/off until they wouldn't produce spark
at all anymore because of a faulty distributor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Never herd of a car like this. But, Ecu's for mitsus are located either in kick panels or under the radio. take all of your "underdash" off and look around, I'm sure you'll find it. ECU is the #1 culprit. You can also check the code by hooking up a buzzer to the diag port. Usually under the dash on drivers side. and listening for the beeps(its just a 12 v pulse signal).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:19 am 
The Silent Administrator

You have the rare C10 bodystyle with newer 12V 4g15 motor eh? I've seen two models like this, that I bought to strip parts from years back. You need to find a large cadmium plated box that is the ECU case; visit VFAQ.com for reference of what an ECU case looks like. Most 3G cars that are LHD have it up under the passenger side (right side of the dash / glove box area). I know a few guys have C10 bodystyle a and may be able to help out in this regard. Capacitors go bad on all pre-95 ECU's. Follow you chassis harness back in from the firewall, and you will find a large chunk of wiring going to a 3 yellow section, that will be plugged into the ECU. There will also be a few black wires grounded nearby, don't forget to reinstall those with the 10mm bolt holding them in.

Is you distributor on the passenger side of the head with maybe two connectors and wiring attached, or is the distributor facing the firewall on the drivers side back of the head? Eagle and Plymouth had a bunch of leftovers they put together back then.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:56 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hi hanks for the help everyone. Still cant find the computer. Each time I read through the threads it leads me to believe its the ecu. I have the c10 bodystyle, and really need to find that damn ecu as my job depends on it! Flying eagle any help would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm 
The Silent Administrator

This is the only C10 bodystyle left in ASA, due to the fact that nothing before 1988 is in the program (CAPS when it first came around, or maybe an older incarnation I don't know about).
Spacewagon C12. Shows the ECU shape and location in the dash area. That is the box you are looking for. Heck, it could be in the center console below the radio and on the floor board/trans/exhaust tunnel area, right side of the dash (like up the A-pillar but still inside the dash, etc etc.) Maybe someone like this guy would know: GoSlowTurbo. He is driving a model like yours, but likely with a different motor, so I wonder if the ECU is still located in the same area. When I stripped the two cars I bought, I thought I got an ECU out of each, but turned out they were trans control boxes and from the driver side of the dash area. I didn't know what the ECU's looked like back then.

I googled 1987 Mirage ECU using google images, and found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-MITSUBISHI-M ... 2a2358bdc5

Hard to miss this somewhere up in there, but they seem to tuck away nicely. Hard to say where they crammed it in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:20 pm 
Restricted Newbie

thanks flying eagle, Ive looked everywhere I can. next step is to pull the dah and tear the damn thing apart. any other suggestions of users who know there stuff? I checked around the radio center console, along the sides of the dash, passenger side floor kick panel etc... im lost and might have to get rid of this car if I cant find a solution

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:09 pm 
The Silent Administrator

You never have to remove much to get to the ECU. Do you have all the console trim out? Pictures may help us some too. It has to be in the dash or down the center console, all ECU's appear to be from what I've seen for this type of car.