4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 4G15 HP Beast
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:47 am 
4g61t Delinquent

hey since im getting a new engine for "Forgee" i was wondering whats the theoretical max HP i can make out of built n/a 4g15? and can i bore it out to say a 1.6 or even a 1.7? all info is gladly accepted guys ;)

Paul

For those 10 months or less... I'm broke...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:50 am 
CSM Expert

Well here is an article from Absolute Perfection Parts

These are the recommended upgrades for a daily driven car. These will give a strong solid improvement without needing a replacement of the computer but would benefit from some fuel mods.

55mm or 60mm throttle body
Stage 1 camshaft
Four into one headers
2 - 1/4" exhaust system
Rising fuel pressure regulator set to 45psi at idle
Fitment of K&N Filtercharger (part number KN57-1500)
Adjustable Cam Gear (Not essential but recommended)

This will make it a much nicer car and will work within the limits of the standard computer settings. Any bigger on any of the items will take it beyond that point and lose drivability. These should have a 1.5 near 125HP and a 1.8 near 140HP (at the flywheel).

Stage 2 - up to 40% more horsepower

Stage 1 plus the following: With the fitment of say a Apexi S-AFC controller or equivalent air/fuel controller, then you can upgrade to the stage 2 cam, and valve springs. A 60mm or 65mm throttle body would also be a good upgrade. An underdrive pulley would also gain you a few more horsepower. These additional upgrades should have a 1.5 near 140HP and a 1.8 near 155HP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:14 am 
Some call me a god

with the amount of money it will take to modify a 4g15 you'll have enough for a 61t.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:18 am 
CSM Expert

colt-r:

yes it might get you an engine but not turbos and ecus and intercoolers and all the goodies to go with it.... and even after all that is done you still have a pidly little exhaust and you need more parts that are on that list anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:25 am 
Some call me a god

i got all the parts, FMIC, ECU, 4G61T, 2.5 turboback, MBC, Boost gague, datalogger etc...for 2300CAD. and hopefully someone will buy my 4g15 off so i can some money back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:28 am 
CSM Expert

When its all in and running give us the final total again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:12 pm 
CSM Expert

The 4G15 is a very easy motor to work on so I would suggest you build the motor yourself. You will still have to get the machining done by a shop of course but actually putting it all together is very easy.

Performance pistons can be a little hard to source but that's OK since there is an easy option for that. The Hyundai Excel X1 ('86-'89) uses flat-top pistons which brings the CR up to ~10.5:1 and already 'eyebrowed' for a multivalve head (if your going to use the 12v head) and they are readilly available.

The rotating assembly is in desperate need of balancing, as I think little is done at the factory. I noticed a huge difference in my old 4G15 with all the top end harshness disappearing it would rev and make good power all the way to stock rev limit at ~6800rpm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:14 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hello - I was interested in uprgaring my 4g15 to run a stage 1 camshaft.
I live in Canada, and would like to refrain from buying things online from places such as E-Bay, so I was wondering what store or small business would sell the Stage 1?

Thank guys. Mihai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:50 am 
CSM Expert

goto www.rpw.com.au look under distributors they have a distributor in Canada...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:30 pm 
Nobody Important

Quote:
with the amount of money it will take to modify a 4g15 you'll have enough for a 61t.
this also does some other funky things for people who autocross.

Because I'm doing the swap, I'm going from g stock, jumping over the street touring class (engine mods, suspension mods) and going right into one of the whack-ass modified classes.

I am so going to get my butt kicked. At least I'll have a smile on my face :)

-paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:55 pm 
4g61t Delinquent

Quote:
The 4G15 is a very easy motor to work on so I would suggest you build the motor yourself. You will still have to get the machining done by a shop of course but actually putting it all together is very easy.

Performance pistons can be a little hard to source but that's OK since there is an easy option for that. The Hyundai Excel X1 ('86-'89) uses flat-top pistons which brings the CR up to ~10.5:1 and already 'eyebrowed' for a multivalve head (if your going to use the 12v head) and they are readilly available.

The rotating assembly is in desperate need of balancing, as I think little is done at the factory. I noticed a huge difference in my old 4G15 with all the top end harshness disappearing it would rev and make good power all the way to stock rev limit at ~6800rpm.

well i plan on building the engine myself since i have expierience in rebuilding my 340 Mopar v-8 and i plan on balancing and all that good stuff. Hey how much hp increase does thos hyundai Excel X1 pistons give ya? and what years do i look for when buying pistons?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:33 pm 
CSM Expert

The X1 was built from 1986-89. There is no set power increase from using the X1 pistons as it overall power is determined by alot more than just static CR. The CR of 10.5:1 is only an estimate based on some quick calculations I did way back when I built my old 4G15 (about 7yrs ago). I never dynoed as I was a poor student back then but is was good enough to cream the local stock 5.slow brigade. I was also using the stock cam and MAF sensor which were both holding up the rest of the show (heavilly ported head w/ matched intake/exhaust).

My current low restriction MAP based EFI equipped X2 (mild port, mod comb chambers and a pad filter) is at about the same level w/out the CR increase - I wish I had kept my old short block when I changed to the 4G61T in the X1!

Once I have the X1-4G61T fully tuned and finished Im going to build up another X1 block for the X2 with the high CR pistons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:42 pm 
4g61t Delinquent

does the 4g15 and g15 have the same bottom end?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:57 am 
Some call me a god

are they not the same engine....... g15 and 4g15 are the same thing. i sometime refer to my 4g15 as a g15..... buts that just me..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:04 am 
CSM Expert

g15 is different motor it came out before the 4g series of motors but parts are transferable although I don't know what the differnt is go searching through the archive i know about a month or so ago som was talking about the difference between a g64 and a 4g64 that article might shed some light on it.