4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:30 am 

I'm looking to convert my 92 colt from drum brakes to disk brakes I hate drum brakes. I'm hoping for a just strait bolt and play setup but that's probably just wishful thinking though. I'm interested in everything needed to do the rear brakes; calipers, disks, hoses, and anything else needed, free or really cheep is preferable. I was told the parts off of a 89 colt gt will work any other donor car ideas would be cool. I know nothing about these cars I was strictly BMW before this so I need all the info and help I can get thanks and peace out

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:45 am 

If you gather the parts from a 89-92 car with rear discs you can get everything needed for it to be a bolt on deal. Unless you find the car in a local yard and pull the parts yourself and have them cut you an awesome deal they are not going to come free or cheap. Remember the 1.6L sedans had rear discs as well.

No other donor cars are going to be a straight swap because the other Mitsu's with rear discs from this era use larger axle stubs on the rear so the hubs won't interchange.

There is a guy on here that has two sets for sale right now, PM him to see if he still has one left.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:05 am 

Thank you and what is his screen name? peace out

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:05 am 

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=32651

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:05 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

92-95 dohc hyundai elantra rear disc brakes should be plug and play, just make sure to grab the emergency brake and cabling.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:28 am 

Quote:
If you gather the parts from a 89-92 car with rear discs you can get everything needed for it to be a bolt on deal. Unless you find the car in a local yard and pull the parts yourself and have them cut you an awesome deal they are not going to come free or cheap. Remember the 1.6L sedans had rear discs as well.

No other donor cars are going to be a straight swap because the other Mitsu's with rear discs from this era use larger axle stubs on the rear so the hubs won't interchange.
Quote:
92-95 dohc hyundai elantra rear disc brakes should be plug and play, just make sure to grab the emergency brake and cabling.

So when I go to get these parts is there any way to tell if the cars have the right size axle stubs with out using calipers to measure marks or anything, I do not have a caliper to measure with, what size are the stubs on my colt?

Thanks and peace out

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:09 am 

The elantra stuff will work, I forgot about those. You need to find a 94/95 model with ABS as they were the only ones that came with rear discs. I still haven't seen one of these cars in person yet but I'm sure they're out there.

The other guy on here offered you the complete csm rear disc swap for $140, thats a smoking deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:46 pm 

I know I'm on unemployment at the moment though damn wal-mart, 140 for everything is a damn good deal, I hope my friend can find the parts at one of the junk yards he does business with he said he should be able to get the parts for real cheap when he gets other parts that is if he can find a donor car