4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:22 pm 
Restricted Newbie

So i went out to start the Colt the other day. Wouldn't even turn over. Battery is good, pulled the starter and tested that, good. It seems to me and my test light that im not getting power to the starter to ignight the starter solenoid. Im thinking it must be the ignition switch. I also replaced the MPI relay beneath the stereo. It clicks twice, one when turning the ignition key and once when depressing the clutch. Any ideas folks? Thaks for the help in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:34 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

If you didn't mess with any of the wiring, its most likely your ecu. Open it up and look for brown stuff on the board, that smells like "fish/burnt elcectronics".
-Dave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 pm 
The happy administrator

Double check the starter, just because some counter jockey at the local autozone says it's ok doesn't always mean it is. Just happened to my brother, guy said it was the most perfect original starter he'd ever seen, starter went back in, still wouldn't start, replaced starter, car starts. Double check your battery (ampmeter it not volt) and the cables connecting the two. You could try jumping the solenoid as well.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:17 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Evotistical, that's kind of funny. I just had the ecu out the other day to look for bad capacitors. They looked great (although I know they will rupture eventually). I hadn't noticed anything else abnormal. I will pull it again today and go through it with a fine tooth comb. Thanks for the picture it's very helpful.
Mechacode, good call on jumping the starter in the car I will do that before I pull the ecu again today. Load tested the battery. It's good, it managed to start my 472ci Cadillac demolition derby car. The cables are in fantastic shape as well. It's sounding like ecu....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:29 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I jumped the starter in the car. Works fine, turns over and the car trys to run. Stalls out pretty quickly. Im thinking thats an unrelated issue. It stared doing that after I pressure washed the engine, I discovered the distributor cap seal between the base is almost nonexistant. As for the ecu im still not seeing or smelling anything suspect. However I will take it to a friend today who is better with this stuff than I am. Thanks for the help and I will get back with anything I find.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:27 am 

Quote:
I jumped the starter in the car. Works fine, turns over and the car trys to run. Stalls out pretty quickly. Im thinking thats an unrelated issue. It stared doing that after I pressure washed the engine, I discovered the distributor cap seal between the base is almost nonexistant. As for the ecu im still not seeing or smelling anything suspect. However I will take it to a friend today who is better with this stuff than I am. Thanks for the help and I will get back with anything I find.
err..did u say that you wash your engine bay?? without covering[wrap with plastic bag or anything else] your distributor?

that might the root problem i guess

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:06 pm 
Restricted Newbie

OK sorry for the delay. Been very busy trying to finish the drive train swap on my truck. Im taking the ECU to a friend today for a second opinion (I dont see anything obvious). I will take pictures of our findings (or lack there of) and post them. Thanks for the help every one. I will post back soon!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:51 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Finally got the ECU looked at by my friend who has some experience with them. Neither of us could find anything obviously wrong. Im going to try another from the wreckers when I can. Any other possibiltys coming to mind folks? Thanks again!