4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: turbo and maf problem
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:45 pm 
Restricted Newbie

well i got a 90 colt with a maf that sits inside my air intake
and i want to install a squires turbo system set up but my problem is the maf or the box gremlin
is there a after market 6pin version of this problem that is more of a smaller inline pipe version like a Granatelli Mass Air Flow Sensor or are we just stuck with the box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:04 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

I'm guessing your talking about this turbo system?
http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_systems
and since your posting on the 4g15 forums, I guess your talking about a 4g15?
Whats a box gremlin?

I'm guessing your asking if you need to use the stock airbox/maf with your setup. You can completely remove the left side of the air can, and do a hot air intake. But you still have to use the right side of the can to hold on the filter with the clips. I would use some kind of engine management like safc and get larger injectors if you want to push boost. Your maf is probably still good for what you want to put down, because the turbo will "draw the air" in. even so you can use the maf from a n/a 1.8 4g37 eclipse if you want more flow. If you use the injectors from a dohc turbo Mitsubishi make sure you wire in the resister pack. I wouldn't put any more than 6psi of boost on these motors without modifying the bottom end.

Additionally, please use commas where you would normally take a breath in a conversation. also at the end of each thought please put a period. It makes it easier to read so we don't mix up your different thoughts.

Pics also help!
Please make sure you add you location in your profile!
Welcome to the forum, I wanna see this bad ass 4g15 when it's done!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:22 pm 

These turbo kits look to be for 3.0 liter engines and above, I hope you can spool it!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:28 pm 

If you haven't bought it already, we can tell you how to build a turbo kit for cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:01 pm 
Restricted Newbie

well it is a 90 with a large maf sensor that sits inside the filter and i found manifolds for the 4g15 for turbo and they are hyundai scoupes or i can build the manifold but im not good at welding

but i would love to find a decent manifold for the g15 with a internal waste gate setup then the ebay one unless others have built off of it

i beat civics and crxs but i want not a close match but a deal to officailly beat them
cause one guy at work got a d16 supercharged and goes fast but to 6500 and not a challenge on corners but the straights it is a pain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:51 pm 

1st of all please add your location to your profile as it is the rules. :D
Quote:
well it is a 90 with a large maf sensor that sits inside the filter and i found manifolds for the 4g15 for turbo and they are hyundai scoupes or i can build the manifold but im not good at welding
scoupe turbos were not 4g15's, only the n/a mk1's were 4g15's, so the manifold won't fit.
Quote:
but i would love to find a decent manifold for the g15 with a internal waste gate setup then the ebay one unless others have built off of it.
they have 4g15 turbo manifolds turn up from time to time. But the easiest way to get one is have one built.
Quote:
i beat civics and crxs but i want not a close match but a deal to officailly beat them
cause one guy at work got a d16 supercharged and goes fast but to 6500 and not a challenge on corners but the straights it is a pain
assuming you are the same weight...A 4g15 pushing 5-7lbs of boost with a mismatched turbo is going to get stomped by a supercharged d16, unless you put lots of money into it. starting out n/a they have atleast 30 hp on you.

All in all if you already bought the turbo kit...sell it and buy yourself a running FWD turbo 90-94dsm, and some 1st gen elantra mounts to do the swap. It will cost less and be more reliable than your turbo setup.

If you still want to keep your setup....search the board as there was a few 4g15 turbo'd here. but there isn't much support because they are very custom. I still have no idea what you mean by large maf sensor. I do recommend you read all my articles in the newbie tech forum that way we can speak the same lingo, and you know what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:56 pm 

Here is some turbo kits that are better suited for your aplication. I can't vouch for them though, because no one here has tried them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-90-97 ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubis ... ccessories

here is a manifold that looks like it may work!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MIT-MIRA ... ccessories

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

a year or so ago, i went through and read EVERY thread that came up when i looked up 4G15 Turbo in the search.

and from what i read, the biggest problem is that the cooling channels on the exhaust side of the head are very small, and can't keep up with the heat generated by a turbo setup. you end up just popping headgaskets over and over. but if you're determined, have at it, just make sure to post a build thread, i'd be very interested to see how it runs, even if you do pop a headgasket in the process :p