4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: No Start, out of ideas.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:40 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hey guys, my dad just picked up a 91 Colt last week. When he bought it it ran like a dream, but before he took it to emissions he thought it would be a grand idea to dump some isopropyl alcohol in the tank. Very shortly after the car started to not want to stay running, putting it in gear would cause it to die. Then after about 30 minutes of that it got to the point where it would not start at all. I know the ECU's go bad and when we get the spare money we will probably opt for one, just wondering if there is anything else to check for that would cause this. It gets fuel, and it gets spark. We also replaced the fuel filter, new plugs, and the distributor is fairly new (replaced by previous owner.) It doesn't even try to fire, just cranks endlessly. We also drained the old gas and put new gas in. Firing order is correct, and timing seems correct, I just don't get it. I've never been so utterly stumped by a car before. Also throws no codes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:07 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Most isopropyl alcohol you can get, unless you get it from an industrial supply store is a 30% or 50% solution, so you are adding water to your gas. This is bad(of course). As alot of people who have had water in there gas tank find out, even if you put a full tank of premium your car may still not start. I would get an automotive grade methyl alcohol solution to remove the water from your gas tank.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... P2030C____

From this point on, fill up with premium fuel till it gets better, even after you get it started, the car will run like shit for 2-3 tanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:09 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Most isopropyl alcohol you can get, unless you get it from an industrial supply store is a 30% or 50% solution, so you are adding water to your gas. This is bad(of course). As alot of people who have had water in there gas tank find out, even if you put a full tank of premium your car may still not start. I would get an automotive grade methyl alcohol solution to remove the water from your gas tank.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... P2030C____

I have drained all the gas out of the tank since then, and it was 91%.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:22 pm 

Double check the things that you checked. I would have to say 50% of no-starts here are "people induced" not mechanical. Check to see if you didn't put it 180deg out with your distributer. Check to see if you knocked off any wiring. I know for a fact on the 4g15 cars, at or around the air filter there is a single pin (blade) connector (black/yellow wire) that if unplugged the car will not start. Check to see if the plugs are gapped correctly. The 4g15 spark plug wires only last for about 3 or 4 plugs/unplugs, so check those. Adding water to your lines can ruin multiple filters and kill your fuel pump/injectors. But you said that it is getting fuel so I’m assuming that you have fuel pressure, so maybe the injectors are stuck? I would also check compression, its one of the things you can do cheaply to check if the engines still good while waiting on an ecu or mpi relay.

I know you drained your tank...I would still throw in some heet to clear up the fuel lines and to remove any other moisture that was stuck in the bottom of the tank or absorbed by the metal.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:35 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Double check the things that you checked. I would have to say 50% of no-starts here are "people induced" not mechanical. Check to see if you didn't put it 180deg out with your distributer. Check to see if you knocked off any wiring. I know for a fact on the 4g15 cars, at or around the air filter there is a single pin (blade) connector (black/yellow wire) that if unplugged the car will not start. Check to see if the plugs are gapped correctly. The 4g15 spark plug wires only last for about 3 or 4 plugs/unplugs, so check those. Adding water to your lines can ruin multiple filters and kill your fuel pump/injectors. But you said that it is getting fuel so I’m assuming that you have fuel pressure, so maybe the injectors are stuck? I would also check compression, its one of the things you can do cheaply to check if the engines still good while waiting on an ecu or mpi relay.

I know you drained your tank...I would still throw in some heet to clear up the fuel lines and to remove any other moisture that was stuck in the bottom of the tank or absorbed by the metal.
I'll throw some heet in and search for that connector. Plugs are gapped right, Will double check everything else tomorrow. Any better idea where that black/yellow wire is at, didn't see it out there on a quick search around the air filter, but it's already night here and lighting is less then adequate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:45 pm 

Quote:
I'll throw some heet in and search for that connector. Plugs are gapped right, Will double check everything else tomorrow. Any better idea where that black/yellow wire is at, didn't see it out there on a quick search around the air filter, but it's already night here and lighting is less then adequate.
All I remember is that its on the left side of the engine, and its a black/yellow wire about the size of a mcdonalds soda straw. wish I could be more of a help with it but I haven't owned a 4g15 for 4 years now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:54 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Quote:
All I remember is that its on the left side of the engine, and its a black/yellow wire about the size of a mcdonalds soda straw. wish I could be more of a help with it but I haven't owned a 4g15 for 4 years now.
Thanks, I'll toy around more in the morning when I get some light.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:24 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Black yellow wire runs from the battery (-) post to the chassis frame just below, then down to the transmission case at the front near the pressure check bolt heads. IIRC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:19 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Anyone happen to be near Cleveland with a known good ECU to try out, haha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:54 pm 

Pm these guys to see if anyone can help you
some ohio peoples:
Bigtomstud
SS
Blauman074
GSXtacy
CSM Shaun