4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:58 pm 
Restricted Newbie

im having an issue after a 4/5 speed swap. Installed the trans and still don't have the 5th gear. wondering if anything in the linkage needs to be changed? or something moved in the shift assy? Or.. i have considered that the trans may just be another 4speed. how do they differ visually? cant seem to find that info..its a 91 dodge colt with the 8v...thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:41 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

If it is indeed a 5 speed transmission, you need the bracket that the linkage bolts to from the 5 speed transmission you cant use the one from your car.

Good luck hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:06 pm 
Restricted Newbie

that sounds promising because my "5" speed came without brackets so i swapped mine over.also, the fourth gear dosent feel like the final drive while accelerating. it feels liek a five speed left in 4th on highway.picture of that bracket? impossible to find ill bet... so the two transmissions are identical from the outside besides the shift cable bracket?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:33 pm 
Some call me a god

It's probably an extension problem, whereas your shift linkage doesn't have the reach to engage 5th. You have no problem getting into reverse I'm guessing. It's good to have some one in the car to move the shifter between gears while you watch the shift levers on the trans. You are trying to find out how short the reach is.

For instance, when I swapped a cable 4-speed for a hydro 5-speed, I had an issue getting into first and second gears. So I disconnected the linkage going to the lever on the trans, had somebody move the shifter over while I moved the lever by hand. In a matter of seconds I noticed that the throw from the linkage was a 1/2 inch shorter than where the lever on trans needed to be in order to hit those gears.

If you can figure out if your problem is a reach issue like I mentioned, then you can start figuring out on how you are going to fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:10 pm 

i think the linkage is enough...1st gear and 5th is somewhat had equal linkage length to throw the shift.

i have also a 4g15 8V with 4 speed tranny and coverted to 5 speed tranny and nothing issue happened

MattGSR
Coltsfan
Moulin13
Wrx110487

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:40 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Just wanted to mention that I had this swap (4 to 5-speed) done with my '89 Colt back in '95. Car had 160k on it at the time and started popping out of gear. I was able to hold it in gear manually for about two months or so, but after that I started looking for a replacement tranny. Dealer told me it HAD TO BE a 4-speed for my '89. Junkyard told me they had a 4-speed in stock, but when I got there (3 hours of driving each way), it was a 5-speed instead. Dealership in the area of the junkyard looked at the microfiche and told me the 5-speed would work, so I bought it (along with all the cabling) for $300. Gave the whole mess to a tranny shop and it was done the next day. When I went to pick up the car, the tranny guy handed me back the "new" cables saying he didn't need them (the existing cables worked just fine). He never mentioned anything about changing any brackets, either. From all accounts, it was "plug-n-play". Never changed the computer, either. The car ran 7 more years and 90k more miles without any issues. I THINK I remember the guy at the Dodge dealership saying the tranny case for the 5-speed was a little bit longer, but I was never able to put the two side-by-side, so I don't know if this was in fact true...