4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:19 am 

ok i looked around kinda quick here but i didn't find what kind of stuff is in the ac? the car is a 94 like i said and that was around when they switched from one to another. my ac don't work and driver window don't roll down so need to do something and was looking at the R-134a at the stores and some had gauges. thinking i could try that first and see if it was low by the gauge and add some before i took it someplace to get it looked at which would cost more. i will get this window fixed some day but it looks like it is a lot of work because who ever had the car before kinda pulled the cable up and around the top of the door and have it held in place by a screw. guess it messed up and that was the only way they could keep it up. i do have the passenger window and that popup sun roof that someoen added i guess. sorry if this has been asked before. thanks for help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:29 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

I don't remember what year the switch over was....but...look at the fill adaptor, the size of it should tell you what type you need, also most cars have the refrigerant type posted on the bottom of the hood.
Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:48 am 

Quote:
I don't remember what year the switch over was....but...look at the fill adaptor, the size of it should tell you what type you need, also most cars have the refrigerant type posted on the bottom of the hood.
Hope this helps!
ok thanks. the switch was in 94 and my car is a 94 so i didn't know when they actually changed the stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:51 am 
2nd Banana

'94 is R134A.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:26 am 

Quote:
'94 is R134A.
ok thanks. says manufactured in oct 93 and is a 94 guess that make sense. so i can just go get the r-134a from the store with the gauge and use that to test it and add some if it's low now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:12 pm 

Yeah 94 was the switchover year for R-12 to R-134A. Almost every automaker was required to use this type of freon at this point. Tonus and I both worked at parts stores somewhere along the line so we're pretty knowledgeable about these things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:22 pm 

ok it is the new stuff and it is low. the gauge said about 0. the clutch on the compressor is always spinning too. always on. i don't know if i should add the stuff or what now because there seems like about nothign is in it. might be a waste to add and just leak out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:42 pm 

ok guess i will try and adding the stuff. big lots has 12 oz cans for $5 so guess will take 3 of them because there is about zero it seems. there is no hose though so get a $8 can with the gauge and hose and use that since the hose and gauge thing is like that much it seems. don't know why i am saying this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:17 am 

You obviously have a leak somewhere so adding is not going to do anything besides you have to put it into a vacuum before you add refrigerant. also your clutch should only kick in if you have an adequate amount of refrigerant in the system. Do you have a set of compound gauges?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:15 am 

Quote:
You obviously have a leak somewhere so adding is not going to do anything besides you have to put it into a vacuum before you add refrigerant. also your clutch should only kick in if you have an adequate amount of refrigerant in the system. Do you have a set of compound gauges?
didn't do it. going to get another car soon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:32 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Well if that one has any air conditioning problems I would be glad to help :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:26 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well if that one has any air conditioning problems I would be glad to help :D
thanks. getting at auto auction. like them. be sure that it works and stuff. auctions like used car lots but without payments. really hating this cash for clunkers thing because that is going to effect what i can get. glad these cars don't qualify. still get around 30 MPG. yay. hopefully new one will too. would fix the stuff on this car but don't have that kind of money. it is getting old and stuff is getting hard to find for it and more money. wish i did. guess will sell at the auction too when get another car. hopefully person that buys it will be able to. dought any of you live in Kentucky.