4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:29 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hello to all.............just replaced the timing belt on a 1994 Colt with the 1.5 single cam engine and I see that the new belt prefers to ride on the far side of the camshaft pulley. By the far side of the pulley I mean on the edge of the pulley oposite the engine......................or, towards the front fender. The edge of the belt literaly rides flush with the edge of the pulley.

That in itself is most likely ok but the previoius belts would run centered on the pulley. I can tell because I can see the wear marks on the pulley from the past belts.

Should I be concerned of where this new belt is riding on the pulleys?

Both the timing belt and tensioner were just replaced together and they now have maybe 100 kilometers (60 miles) on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:20 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but as a mod I do have to ask you to add your location to your profile...It's the rules :D
Good luck with the answer though, I know I would rock it, but some people might use there 4g15 for daily drivers. Would I risk it with the more powerful and expensive turbo engines..no.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:32 pm 
The happy administrator

Usually it's a tension problem if the timing belt doesn't center.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:56 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I was thinking tension problem too. But how could you mess that up on a 1.5? It's just a spring. If it were ME, I would strongly consider going back after it and making sure everything is tight and right. Sorry I'm not of more help, good job looking at witness marks, that's more observation than most people make.

Ryan
www.thompsonracingfabrication.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:19 pm 
Restricted Newbie

OOooopppsssss. Sorry about the lack of location. It is now updated. :oops:

Thank you for the reponses and ideas on my issue. You guys think the belt may be too loose, then?
You're right, in that it shouldn't be that awkward to get adjusted / tensioned as it is only a spring. MMMmmmmm.
I mean, it runs just fine. The belt seems to be properly tentioned without it being too loose or too tight. The belt isn't wondering around at all and stays put on the outer edge of the pulley.
It's also the first time I've done this work on a Mitsubishi.............maybe that's the problem.