4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:17 pm 
CSM Junkie

Well, last Friday brought me enough ambition to tear apart the DD after work in hopes of being possibly the first 4G trans swap driving on the road. (Although Dexter might have beat me to it. :toimonster: )
Keep in mind that the trans in my car worked fine & will be kept as a spare.

Anyways, after disassembly & reassembly of the car w/ the new trans installed, I have a list of parts needed to do this swap.

Shopping List:
-5-speed (cable clutch) trans from any 1.5L 4G CSM
-Starter plate from said donor car
-transmission side of trans mount bracket
-3 qts. Gear Lube (I chose Royal Purple)
**Try keeping all of the bolts from the 4G trans, there are 2 that differ on the front face of the trans
between both cars**

OPTIONAL:
-Clutch set
-4G Axle seals (since it's out of the car)
-Clutch Cable (Replace the used one {3G & 4G use the same part number})

OTHERS:
-Existing 3G shift Cables/starter
-Existing 3G chassis side of trans mount
-3G Shift cable Bracket replaces one on 4G trans
-3G or 4G speedo gear on top of trans
-3G or 4G reverse switch

Tools needed:
-10, 12, 14, 17 & 19 mm sockets w/ wrench
-extension bars to reach those hard to get bolts
-32mm axle socket
-prybar (popping axles out)
-breaker bar or power tools ;)
-Jack & jackstands

**EDIT**Initially I didn't swap brackets on the transmission when I did this. I soon realized that I had only a couple gears & had to figure out where the shift cables were binding. After installing the 3G bracket I was still having issues w/ reaching some gears (2,4 & R). However, after a little backyard engineering, I found that 1/2" deep spacers installed between the trans & the existing washers & bushings gave me enough play to reach all gears.

Please feel free to post any questions or comments.

-Shawn

Last edited by maroonmetallic on Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:11 pm 

from reading what you posted, the 3g 4spd stuff will work with the 4g 5spd trans?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

Yes, how ever, there is a small issue w/ shifter cables or transmission shift brackets.

I am currently trying out a couple of options & should have it squared away in the next couple days.
(which works out well.. then its time to swap in my recently shipped KYB GR-2's & B&G Lowering springs :snakeman: )

-Shawn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:05 pm 

any luck?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

I was able to grab some spacers from the local hardware store to 'shim' the 3G shifter cable bracket out enough to hit all of the gears.

However, I was able to get a chunk of aluminum from work to have machined into a better looking piece.
I was thinking of making a run of them, but didn't know if anyone would be interested in that sort of thing.

-Shawn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:12 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

i'd take one, assuming it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:51 pm 

I'm glad that someone actually tried this, as a matter of fact I did something similar. I used a 5 speed hydro tranny from a 3g in my 4g when I swapped it from auto to manual. Everything worked perfectly but I had to fabricate mounts since the 4g has the mounts on the tranny and not the engine block. I had a perfectly good tranny laying around which is the only reason I did this.

I'm seriously thinking of using a 4g 5 speed tranny in my colt when I toss in the 4G63T. I've heard many cases of it holding up really well. This way I won't have to hunt down the hydro parts or do the swap, plus I will have an extra gear and the engine won't rev so high on the interstate :P . I will be doing a very mild setup using a 13g and some 390's so the 4g tranny should be fine to use. I also won't have to go hunting for 3g turbo axles or have to mess with swapping the shifter arms like you do when using a dsm tranny.

Thanks for posting this and please keep us updated!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:31 pm 
CSM Junkie

Well, it's been about a week now of DD'ing the car on the highway to work & around town running errands.
There hasn't been any other issues so far, but I do plan on making a couple aluminum spacers for this swap in the very near future. ;)

I must say the 5-speed w/ the newly installed suspension is a blast to drive now. :supz:

-Shawn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:28 am 

I just did this swap this weekend...havent been on here in forever, but i picked up a new colt on thursday with a 4 speed that had 1st gear completely ruined and 2nd on the way out. I had no luck finding any 3g csm's at the local u pull and pay but did find a 4g mirage s coupe so i pulled that tranny but did not see this post beforehand so i did not grab the starter plate. So for now i was only able to get one bolt through to hold the starter on but i think ill be able to take the starter off and just drill through the plate to put the other bolt in. I was able to use both parts of the 3g tranny mount too, ran into the same problem you had so i swapped over the cable bracket and now have the exact same problem you had with 2nd 4th and Reverse being almost unusable. Im glad you figured out how to solve this though :D im gonna shim the bracket tonight with washers and you let me know when you get those brackets machined cause ill definately buy one!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:24 pm 

i would like one also, since i will be going to a 5spd soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:25 pm 

did you get all the bugs workout? i ask cause i lost 1st and 2nd pops out if i dont hold it in gear over the weekend :x . and i will be getting a trans for my sisters car and now i need one for mine. i dont want to put another 4spd back in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:20 pm 
CSM Junkie

I don't have any issues w/ mine now that I have the cable bracket spaced off the transmission.
I havent made any brackets yet, but I might find time to get some done this weekend..

-Shawn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:19 pm 

if i get the 4g bracket for the shift cables do you think it will solve the problem of not having 2,4,&R or do i still need to shim it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:41 pm 
CSM Junkie

The cable bracket from the 4G CSM was more useless than the 3G one when 'factory-installed'.

I never tried shimming that bracket, but I do know that shimming the 3G one works. :)

-Shawn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:04 am 

i got my 5spd in, and the first time i test drove it i didn't put in enough shims, but got it know. also two 4g15 intake bolts, 4g15 headbolt washers and two thin washers work great to shim the cable bracket. :drinkers:

Last edited by redneck4g15 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.