4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Transmision removal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
Some call me a god

I own a 92 colt, replaceing the motor with a 1.5L this weekend (just to get me through until the summer). Wondering if there is a way to take the motor and tranny out as one unit. The only problem I have when I think about it is the c.v. joints, they probably wont pull out of the tranny unless I take the rotors off. Is there any other easier way?

Post subject:
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Yep the motor and tranny can be pulled in one piece. You have to remove the axles to get the tranny out though. The best way i found is to remove the tie rod ens and lower strut mounting bolts. Undo the axle nut and pull them out, takes 15 min a side. You might want someone to hold the brakes and undo the axle nut first, unless they have been off recently.

Post subject:
Some call me a god

Thanks for the help Ricehunter. Sounds like about the best way so far.

Post subject:
CSM Expert

Surely you dont have to remove the driveshafts from the hubs on these cars. I know on my Excel's I just leave the shafts in the hub and use the brake/hub assembly to yank the inner joints from the trans and just tie them to the side with some wire.

Removing the driveshaft nut can be a serious PITA :x and is best avoided if you ask me.

Post subject:
CSM Junkie

I recently removed the axles on my car (only to find the replacement one I had was not the right one grrrrrrrrrrr..) and did not have to remove the hub or tie rod ends. Just remove the wheel, crank the steering so the rotor is pointing inwards on the side you are doing, and pop out the axle at the tranny. There should be enough space to do it...

Post subject:
Restricted Newbie

Hey here is a trick I do when removing axle nuts I beleive they are 1 1/4 inch and before you jack the car up just remove the center caps on your rims and snap them loose will the car is on the ground so the wheel don't turn just my 2 cents it works good

Post subject: Re: Transmision removal
CSM Junkie

Wondering if there is a way to take the motor and tranny out as one unit. The only problem I have when I think about it is the c.v. joints, they probably wont pull out of the tranny unless I take the rotors off. Is there any other easier way?[/quote]

It all comes out together. I have done this about 6 times or more now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:05 pm 

It's not that hard, like 1.5 multiport says, you just have to free the drive axle nuts with a 1.25 inch socket and either a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar or a 3/4 inch drive ratchet before you take the wheel off or even jack the car up. There is probably a metric socket (maybe 32mm) that would fit it better. Then jack the front end, take the wheel off, disconnect the struts to the hub, and turn the wheel where you can hit where the ball joint shaft goes into the hub assembly. Hit it (the hub assembly where it meets the lower ball joint) squarely with a good size hammer to "shock" the hub assembly free. then the hub will usually pull right off the outer drive shaft. You can also leave the drive shafts in and drop the engine and trans by dismantling the exhaust,wiring and linkages, disconnecting the tie rod ends, lower ball joints, and struts (in that order), and then un bolting the mounts and lowering the engine out from under the car. I never did that with a colt mirage before, but I have with VW rabbits, and I cant see why it wouldn't work. But that is really more work unless you are changing the whole drivetrain.

Post subject: breaking wrenches
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:57 am 
Some call me a god

when i had to swap my 5spd tranny on my 92, the bolt on the end broke three rachets, the air gun couldn't get it off. Godd thing cdn tire has a life time warranty on thier mastecraft tools wouldn;t come off even after wd-40 and heating it up eventually it got lose:) :D