4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Just got my colt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Yo guys.

I'm an EX-DSMr, now LS1 guy, and I just picked up a 89 Dodge Colt 1.5L for $300. It has a 1g Non turbo tranny and 1g axles. I was going to use it as a commuter, but my friend is starting to talk me into dropping his 7bolt/1g head combo into it... lol :)

Anyway... just a few questions about the car...

What's the redline?

How much horsepower/torque does this bad boy make?

Anyone have any pics of some nice ones?

I'm debating adding a little tach to it, and who knows... the motor is tired, but it passed smog, and runs pretty strong though it burns a little oil.

I'm debating putting in a 2.4L Spyder non turbo, or 4g63 non turbo, it should be plenty. After all, it would suck to drop in my friends 7 bolt/1g head, and have my colt be faster than my LS1... I wouldn't know which to park inside!! :)

Thanks guys

Post subject:
Hi boooost, nice to have you onboard. In addition to my turbo, I also have a '89 colt NT that I picked up for $350. It runs fine, but isn't nearly as quick or fun as my turbo model. I've considered putting the spyder engine in the car, just to see how it would do, and also because turbo engines aren't well suited for putting on a road course, but for now it just driven around whenever it's too hot for my turbo car (no ac).

Since you're an ex DSMer you will probably be happiest putting a turbo in your car. The engines are capable of sooo much power and your car only weighs about 2200lbs. Hopefully it won't convince you to sell the SS!!
:twisted:

On a side note, I noticed that you posted this in two different forums, please only try to post in one forum in the future. It saves space on the board, helps keep things organized and most of the folks check all of the sections anyway.

Check out Paul_Mezz's NT, his car is really clean and looks to be well taken care of.

Post subject:
Nobody Important

[quote="jmauld":1wp5xw6a]
Check out Paul_Mezz's NT, his car is really clean and looks to be well taken care of.[/quote:1wp5xw6a]

awwwww I feel so loved :)

I think I'll go outside and take a picture of louie right now.. dirt and all.

Redline is (unofficially) 6500 on the 4g15. I just put a gauge cluster in my car that has the tach and it shows it at 6k but the rev limiter comes in at 7k. I actually shift before red anyway because after around 5.5k it just stops pulling as hard.

HP was something like 92hp @ 6k. Torque was around 96 at 3k (if memory serves, which it often does not). If you want more exact numbers I can look them up after I get home.

Adding a tach is _stupid_ easy. [url:1wp5xw6a]http://www.4g61t.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1246[/url:1wp5xw6a] Picures are in there somewhere.

I'm also burning a little bit of oil, but it isn't anything I'm worried about. I just keep a close eye on it.

Lets see if I can get an updated picture... if not check this one out
[url:1wp5xw6a]http://hedwig.meatbarn.com/louie.jpg[/url:1wp5xw6a] (Non-resized large JPG)

Hmm, 2.4 NA, sounds like a blast on the autox course.

-paul

Post subject:
Restricted Newbie

Thanks for the reply guys...

Are the 1.5Ls pretty reliable? What kind of things can I do to make this thing last as long as possible?

Any common problem on these cars?

What weight/brand oil do you guys use?

I need a new clutch in the car soon... what do you guys recommend? Stock? I have a 1g NT 5 speed tranny in it.

I'm debating adding Restore to the motor oil, and seeing it that helps... the car smokes after sitting at a light for a while, and then taking off in first gear...

Thanks!!

Post subject:
Nobody Important

Well, here is one recent shot of louie (name of my car.... don't ask why)

[url:frnuhps5]http://www.ce.rit.edu/~mezz/louie.jpg[/url:frnuhps5]

Of course with the angle and camera you can't see how much it has been lowered. Oh well.

Reliability? No idea! I just got my car a few months ago and all I do is beat the crap out of it on road courses. Seems to handle the beating I hand out without any problems. Nothing has broken yet, only stuff you expect to wear out on a car with ~130k miles on it.

I suggest take the best care of the body you can. That is the only part you can't easily replace. You screw up a shift and blow a hole in your block? Bah, throw another engine in. You don't wash salt off your car and a hole the size of your head rusts in it, yer fudged. (yes, salt.. I am from central NY... snow, lots of icky snow and the salt to melt it)

Currently because my car is burning the oil, I'm just using el-cheapo mobil oil. I don't even remember the weight. I was thinking trying to fix it but with an engine swap on the horizon, why should I bother. The same thing goes for my clutch. It engages way too high for my taste, but being hydrolic there isn't any kind of adjustment. I have a generic OEM clutch system in there now and it grips fine for the amount of power, but I'm not totally sure how much meat is left on it.

Sounds like you are burning lots more oil than I am. I only get puffs when I'm on the autocross course and I floor it. (it is actually a combo of burning and leaking under pressure for me).

Good luck fixing it... perhaps you would like to buy my engine after I rip it out. :)

Post subject:
CSM Junkie

reliability: incredible!!! i ran my 1992 colt 200 e to 230 000 km beating the shit out of it you would not believe it and it never never smoked oil!! thats is the most amazing engine i ever saw!. trying all kind of timming advance using oil and gas product, k&n filter (holded with tie wraps). i was a kid you know!! but the thing last forever. its not running anymore but the more i look at it and the more i think its only the isc. the body is quite hard to rust on them. just oil treat it before winter or before storing it and rust should not be there before a couple of years.

with my k&n filter i was alwasy over 6500 rpm as the sound was amazing to my ears. it was music.

thats why i bought another 200 gt (1.5l) with 140000 km on it from an old women(the car is very clean) im taking good care of this one and i want to keep it for a very long time.

paul, your car is very nice and clean, i like your wheels!!

ColtMax

Post subject:
[quote="PaulMezz":pce7y92t]

Hmm, 2.4 NA, sounds like a blast on the autox course.

-paul[/quote:pce7y92t]

EXACTLY!!!!

Paul, from your pictures, your car is probably the nicest one I've seen. I'll trade you my blue one for yours! I'll even throw in a 4g63 block. :-)

Did I mention that my blue one looks like it has been shot about 10 times by a bb gun in both rear quarter panels....

Post subject:
Restricted Newbie

I wonder if maybe my colt is burning oil due to a stuck PCV valve... it seems the car burns oil after it sits for a while idling.., so I'm wondering if the PCV is stuck open, and dumping oil into the cylinders/intake, and then burns it as i take off... would that make sense?? I can't see any smoke behind me when I'm just driving around (unless if its very minor).

I'm gonna go home and clean the throttle body, and throw on my old K&N I had off my 91 GSX. Compression in the motor is 185-190 across all 4.

Anyone know the compression ratio? 185-190 across all 4 is around 9.0:1.

I have Corbea Carerra seats in the Camaro, so I wonder if I can get a shop to weld my stock camaro seats into the Colt... hrm :)

Budget commuter !! :D

Post subject:
CSM Junkie

for your oil burning i would suspect the valves seals.
if its smokes when you start it and when idling for a while for sur its the valve seals

Post subject: Goodbye motor
Restricted Newbie

Well...

The motor blew in the colt last night, coming home from work. The car was acting sorta sluggish, and didn't want to accelerate... I merged onto the freeway, and it started pouring out smoke.

Barely limped it to my friends shop, and it's now at the shop waiting for a new motor. I got a used 1.5L longblock from Japan for $250 with 6 month warranty. I'm gonna put in a new clutch and timing belt, and this thing should last me forever.

I should have it back by Friday.

I haven't driven the Camaro since Sunday, so I couldn't resist by doing a smoky burnout in the parking lot at work this morning. See? I need the colt back to keep me out of trouble :)