4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 1980 colt- what to do?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:46 am 
CSM Junkie

So if i was to bolt on a 4g63t to the stock auto trans, how long do Imageyou predict it would last?

Last edited by pimpy rider on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:47 am 
Some call me a god

Depends entirely on how you are driving the car.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:24 pm 
CSM Junkie

5 min LOL pretty strait car though

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:57 pm 
CSM Junkie

yeah i didnt need another pos but couldnt pass this up. Saskatchewan salts the roads in winter, and our vehicles rust out pretty badly here. VERY difficult to find a 1g colt at all here much less one in this shape. I think this one sat most of its life, probably shedded cause the paint and dash are not faded enough for its age. Yeah ill just use a 5 spd fwd i guess.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:45 am 

Nice car, is it the 1.6L with the twin-stick?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:06 am 
CSM Junkie

Naw its an auto. I love the cost to insure this car. In saskatchewan a 30 plus year old car has the option of classic plates which are ten dollars a month. So as long as i have a place to store it, its a fourth car in the case that my other junkers were to break down at the same time haha. Interior is mint in this car, carpet is clean as shit, no cracks in the windshield or dash. A small part of me wants to leave her stock.

But a marginally bigger portion of me wants to 4g63t it and im afraid its inevitable. But i cant really decide what to do with it. It would be pretty sick to do a budget build. Lighten it up as much as i can, run a 14b, fwd auto and see if i can get 11.5 for under 2000 bucks. Shitty thing is i have 2 fwd manual transmissions haha. So its a lot more likely i will run a stick. I just know an auto would make it a lot easier to hit that no cage limit goal. I hate automatic transmissions and would kill me to pay for one but it would make the car competitive if i actually decided to race in a competition day instead of just street legals.

Im not doing an awd swap with this one, just cause i already have 2 of those. Twin engine would be sick, but thatd be a lot of work just to kill myself the first time i step on it haha.

Ill probably just do 4g63t swap with f5m33 and go from there. But thatll have to wait till after my kid is born and i move into my new house sometime this summer.

I havent swapped a 4g63t in a year im starting to get the shakes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:18 pm 
2nd Banana

I feel like the trans would probably take the abuse. If the stock trannies in DSM's can handle 700+hp in basically stock form, I don't see why this wouldn't handle 300hp. The fact that it's so light has a lot going for it. I say do it!

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:06 am 
CSM Junkie

Okay ill try it. Itll be next winter's project. If i can wait that long. I have a strong engine but it has abroken mounting ear its the one that always breaks off when the previous owner only bolts the engine with 3 bolts they snap off. Ill either have to fix that or acquire another engine or block before i start this build. It should only take 20-30 hrs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:43 am 
CSM Junkie

I just bought a salvage car for a donor so now the path I will take is set up. It's going to be a awd auto. I bought a 95 talon for a grand and it runs beautifully. This is going to take some time. But it will happen I won't half finish it and give up no way. My goal is to run consistent 11.5. With the least possible hp and most consistency. (Should be really reliable). The 1980 is 400-500 lbs lighter starting out than a 3G colt and my finished swap was 2550. So using that math I should wind up somewhere in the 2000-2200 lb ballpark .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:26 pm 
Restricted Newbie

So the 4g63t motor bolts into this car then? Because I found a 83 colt I wanna buy and mod but wasn't sure if it can be swapped or not

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:20 am 
CSM Junkie

NO!!! The 4g63 definately does not bolt in! Custom made engine mounts are required. Only one guy has ever done it as far as I can find out and he didn't go into much detail about what it required. The 4g63 will bolt to the stock tranny. But I doubt the stock tranny will hold under that power so not much point doing it. And with the turbo tranny you run into clearance issues. Frame notching. Possibly the steering components need to be relocated. I have no idea what will be involved to get awd in there. I know it has a tunnel for a driveshaft. Mine is a factory carbed car so that will make the wiring a lot more difficult than a factory efi car.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:00 am 
The Silent Administrator

If you have the entire engine harness and ECU, you should be fine. Everything else just needs to stay separate, for ease of repair.
Does this car have a parallelogram steering setup or rack and pinion?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:00 pm 
CSM Junkie

I have no idea I can't remember. Car is sitting in a snow bank. It'll be a few weeks before I can get it home. It'll take me that long to strip tithe 2g anyways. I'm on the process of figuring out the 2g wiring before I tear into the car Ill get it running independent of the cars wiring and get the obd2 plug relocated independent as well. I prefer this technique to reading pin outs as pin outs are not always accurate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:05 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
NO!!! The 4g63 definately does not bolt in! Custom made engine mounts are required. Only one guy has ever done it as far as I can find out and he didn't go into much detail about what it required. The 4g63 will bolt to the stock tranny. But I doubt the stock tranny will hold under that power so not much point doing it. And with the turbo tranny you run into clearance issues. Frame notching. Possibly the steering components need to be relocated. I have no idea what will be involved to get awd in there. I know it has a tunnel for a driveshaft. Mine is a factory carbed car so that will make the wiring a lot more difficult than a factory efi car.

Aww man that sucks then. I wanted to build a nice old school sleeper. Good luck on your project man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:08 pm 
CSM Junkie

You still can. All you need is time and a welder and a tape measure.