4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
After a bunch of looking up part numbers again and searching. AND also buying supposedly wrong parts. I've come to a few conclusions.

My car is a 1988 Colt. Its a 2nd gen. They switched mid model year 1988 to the 3rd gen CSM. So when I order parts at a store or anything for a 1988 model year CSM, they give me parts for a 3rd gen. because of the model switch that year to the C50. Crazy isn't it? That's how the 1988 colt is portrayed in everyone's systems. What's the same and what's interchangeable/upgradable? Lets find out..

So I did some research. I had ordered axles, and brake rotors, calipers, and pads. The brakes are almost the same. Calipers are slightly updated between second and third gen, meilleur crédit but granted, the auto store gave me 3rd gen CSM calipers, and I put them on my car unknowingly. I ordered axles for a manual transmission. Those fit right on. I didn't find out that these parts were for a 3rd gen until after I had installed them. Some part numbers interchange, some don't. Although the parts look identical.

As for brakes, since I found out too late, 1st/2nd gen CSMers can do the Elantra brake upgrades, and also the Elantra rotor/1g DSM caliper/bracket/pads brake upgrade. I'm planning ont he Elantra/1g upgrade when I need brakes down the line.

The steering knuckle on a C10 and a C50 are identical. the hub, bearings, calipers and rotors interchange. It also leads me to believe that the 3rd gen struts will fit also. The stroke of the strut is longer if I recall. The lower control arms are updated on the 3rd gen and will not work on a 2nd gen. I also know for a fact that the rear suspension between C10 and C50 wouldn't interchange without major modification to the rear strut mounts/towers. A bunch of this stuff leads me to believe that the hydraulic clutch pedals and system is interchangeable also. Will keep an update on that.

I just need to compare the two cars suspension for suspension, underside for underside to see what fits and works and what doesn't. I don't have a 3rd gen colt in my vicinity to even go look so I'm limited to photos for now.
That's alright, thank you for sharing your experience