4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:58 am 
Restricted Newbie

junkyard colt 86...you already know how i feel about mega squirt.
i still think evo swap on your colt would be better :o)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:23 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
How do you think MS would be for a daily driver?
works fine. i ended up having to drive my fully built fe3 mazda that has Megasquirt v2.2 last winter for a bit over a month. it never got above 0 degrees at all, and i had no real issues. even the cold start wasnt too bad. and i did all the tuning, so its no where near perfect. lol.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:20 pm 
CSM Junkie

woot woot i got a 4g37 manifold the other day so the part colection has begun now i need to order pistons and bearings and a gasket kit. then get started on my header, exhaust, and getting my mega squirt together

btw what are you guys running mega squirt running ecu wise. (like MS1 or MS2) i dont know what to buy yet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:43 pm 

so question. i checked out the ms web site and it looks good for my mpi set up also, however. can it be set up to use with the smog stuff? per the web site it cant, and my 86 will be a daly driver. also, if i go ms, how much help do some of you guys think you can be. i have never done any ecu programing at all. my last car i built was a 75 el camino with a big block, not alot electric going on there. so what i am saying is i am a ex gear head that loved big v8. that was years ago and now i just love to drive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:44 pm 
CSM Junkie

im sure we will be alot of help once i get my car done i will be alot more help but if you and i start together we will learn together.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:00 am 

thanks junk yard, that would be way cool. i will not be getting started till after christmas. its kinda taken up all my extra cash, but after that i will be putting about 3-400 a month into my car. i really just got the thing home today, started digging into it and i think this car may be even cooler than i thought.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:38 am 
CSM Junkie

yea my build will be after i get back from daytona thats eating all my money right now

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:30 pm 
CSM Junkie

so its quiet again WTF people come on info very board and no money to work on my own shit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:36 pm 

for real! i got like 10 things i could be doing right now to my car but i have to buy my 3 kids christmas s#@t instead. oh well, come the 1st of the year its on. my wife moved my deadline to getting the car done up 2 months, i told her its going to cost more she said ok so, lucky me. I got a book coming tomorrow, and then its all about vacume, and electrical. i may rewire the whole car. guess i am lucky its not my only car and i dont even need it right now. well have a good night every one, and get on with the info. think rear disks. details please! thanks :rock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:53 pm 
Some call me a god

Forget rear disks, at least until you have non captive front disks. That's what I'd focus on first because doing the front brakes is a PITA with captive rotors.

That being said IIRC the rear disks from a 3g will be a bolt in affair. They are harder to come by though but nothing that $100 - $150 couldn't buy you from a member. The hard-to-find parts are the big brackets, ebrake cables, and to a lesser extent the hubs. The calipers are the same on DSMs and the disks are easy to pick up new.

I hope to start my holidays this week and plan on working on the car(s) soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:06 am 

i was just thinking, about the mpi swap. insted of running ms, or any other ecu for that matter can we just splice in the 2 extra injectors? the reason i ask is, i was reading on the ms web site that if you use more than 4 injectors you have to splice in the extra injectors. so, if any one has an opinion, let me know, may not be able to be done at all, just know it could save a lot of guys time, and money, and probably get it done a lot sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:15 am 
Some call me a god

I'm not sure about MS but our 87-88-89, (2gb CSM lol) ecu have only two injector drivers and the TBI system is very different compared to an MPI system in terms of when the injectors are fired and for how long. The 2gb CSM has a primary and secondary injector one is a 400 cc unit the other is a 1000 cc unit, (# are close).

The 2ga CSM 85-86-(84?) have equally sized injectors and depending on how they are fired you may be able to splice some in. Are the injectors on the 2ga CSM low impedance? If so then I don't know if that would work as normally low impedance injectors require their own injector driver at the ECU.

Low Impedance or peak and hold injectors require their own driver or circuit at the ECU to operate, hence why they are only used on more expensive turbo systems. That's why you'll see a resistor box for the injectors on most mitsu turbo cars. The resistor box has its own purpose too but it's specific to the low impedance injectors.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:48 am 

well that makes since, and like i was saying i am trying to find a way around the cost of a new ecu, now another question, i am unsure of the fireing order, dont know much aout it, i was told that 2 cylinders fire at once, is that true, and what your saying about the injectors on my 86 are the same, so if they fire oppesit each other, could it be done?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:24 pm 

oh and one more thing, could we go piggy back, just for air fuel. its much, much cheaper, and would alow us to use most of whats there just plug into our ecu, run the leads to the mas, and injectors, also it will let us to run a maf like a gm or something. the reason i am asking is because i was talking to a guy here in town that runs 18 psi in his almost stock g32b, and said he could boost more if he figured out his fuel problem, it just wasnt getting enough. well mpi wil fix that right there. maybe a 63 swap would be better, but i am really on a mission to see just how much power this 1.6 will make.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:55 pm 
Some call me a god

There is really no practical way to use a tbi ecu on an mpi setup. Unless there is some sort of interceptor/piggy back computer has 4 injector drivers build in?

TBI is very different compared to MPI on MPI usually there is one injector per cylinder and that injector fires for it only - the air and fuel mix in the head. MPI injection control is alot more finer, i.e. the injector fires on the intake stroke, when the intake valve is open(ing), and or right before it.

TBI injectors fire for all cylinders, that is, the air is mixed with the fuel after the TB in the manifold. i.e. On our application we have two injectors to deliver the fuel needed under boost. One injector could work in TBI but its harder to control the flow of bigger injectors especially at lower flow, (this causes idle problems similar to having large mpi injectors). So we use two one is on for regular driving and the second comes on when the fun peddle goes down. The TBI injection control has nothing to do with piston phase on a 4 stroke engine.

As for a TBI upgrade look for the (bigger) injectors/maf/ecu from a Conquest/Starion (2.6) or a turbo Cordia (2.0). What turbo is your local friend running at 18 psi?

Hope that makes sense.