4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:33 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

What do you recommend as a decent replacement for the front 4" and rear (size?) speakers?

I already got (but not installed in the car) a Sony deck, a Sony 4-channel amp, a dual voice coil Bazooka tube and a 2-channel amp to drive it. I also will put in some kind of sound barrier throughout the car, doors, floor and the hatch area.

This is my daily driver and I'd like to have a little bit better sound for that daily commute to and from work. Thanks for all your inputs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:08 pm 

for the rears, i just took them out, cut holes in the rear deck/trunk cover and put 6x9s in there. It sounded alright but now I'm going to take those out and put in components. I was running all sony stuff, they are cheap but they are crap. as for the fronts, i dont know how to take the front dash off to replace the front speakers so i'm still running stock fronts. gl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:05 pm 
Some call me a god

For the fronts you dont need to remove the dash to take the stock ones out. The driverside speaker is easy as that part of the dash comes off painlessly. The passengers side is a BIATCH without taking off the dash.

You can access it by taking off the glove box and a heater vent. Then you will need to hang upside down for about a hour so that you can get the old one out and a new one in.

Also note that the stock front speakers are slim. I replaced mine with some pioneer ones that where thicker. They went in crampt but I got them in - did I say the passenger side was HARD to install!

Pull the driverside speaker to see how slim it is and compare it to what you want to install.

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:34 pm 

so how do u take off the dash? will the speedo come off easy to? i've got two bulbs out on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:43 am 

Quote:
What do you recommend as a decent replacement for the front 4" and rear (size?) speakers?

I already got (but not installed in the car) a Sony deck, a Sony 4-channel amp, a dual voice coil Bazooka tube and a 2-channel amp to drive it. I also will put in some kind of sound barrier throughout the car, doors, floor and the hatch area.

This is my daily driver and I'd like to have a little bit better sound for that daily commute to and from work. Thanks for all your inputs!

Van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:10 am 

Ha! Ha! Van!

I got a new Sony deck for Christmas so I might as well redo the whole thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:41 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
so how do u take off the dash? will the speedo come off easy to? i've got two bulbs out on it.
You dont need to take off the whole dash to take off the cluster, but if you wanted to take off the whole dash removing the cluster is required.

There are four screws under the steering column that hold the piece with the wiper/light control knobs on it. Take these off and pull this piece forward to reveal two other screws on top. These hold on the black cover that goes around the cluster.

Remove those to screws and take this black cover off.

The cluster itself is held on by another four screws, two below in front, and two on top behind. This will allow you to get behind the cluster and disconnect the two wire connectors and the speedo cable, (take care of the speedo cable you don't want to damage it). Once those are off the whole cluster comes off.

Let me know if you want pics....

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:29 am 

Quote:
Ha! Ha! Van!

I got a new Sony deck for Christmas so I might as well redo the whole thing.

Van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:00 am 

Van,

I am going to try it with new speakers, sub and amps to see how the sound comes out. I am not sure if I want to replace it yet or not. Later!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:32 pm 
Some call me a god

You have to make sure the speaker you buy has a small magnet, otherwise the passenger side defog duct will not be able to be reconnected.
I have had jbl components on since my first colt back in 97. Anytime i have changed colts, the speakers have been swapped out from car to car.
The colt was never a good acoustic vehicle. So its very hard to get decent sound in there.
Good luck with that passenger side, its tight, but its possible.