PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:31 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hello
I am really excited to be here thanks for accepting me here
I have elantra 4g61 and i want it to be 4g61T and i need your help also
thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:14 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

welcome to the forums, this site is a great resource for all info on 4G61,4G61t and 4G63t swaps, so you are at the right place.

In order to swap it over to turbo, you will need ether a complete wire harness from a car that has the turbo 4g61 motor, or you will need some form of stand alone engine management, the turbo motors have a different wiring then the non turbo 4G61t, and if I recall correctly some sensors are different.

Thats why, in some cases, its a good idea to get your hands on a donor car to pull all the parts you need from, also a 4g63t swap should be looked at as an option, just in case you don't find a 4g61t donor car, you might have better luck finding 4g63t cars but you need the 6 bolt or early 7 bolt I think the mounting setup changed on later 4g63 cars.

There are a lot of threads on here that have good info on the subject, I feel that after you read a few build posts you will get a better idea of whats involved in the swap, have a good one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:21 am 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
welcome to the forums, this site is a great resource for all info on 4G61,4G61t and 4G63t swaps, so you are at the right place.

In order to swap it over to turbo, you will need ether a complete wire harness from a car that has the turbo 4g61 motor, or you will need some form of stand alone engine management, the turbo motors have a different wiring then the non turbo 4G61t, and if I recall correctly some sensors are different.

Thats why, in some cases, its a good idea to get your hands on a donor car to pull all the parts you need from, also a 4g63t swap should be looked at as an option, just in case you don't find a 4g61t donor car, you might have better luck finding 4g63t cars but you need the 6 bolt or early 7 bolt I think the mounting setup changed on later 4g63 cars.

There are a lot of threads on here that have good info on the subject, I feel that after you read a few build posts you will get a better idea of whats involved in the swap, have a good one.
Thank you so much for information
Why did i decide about on 4G61T because of my country traffic rules i can not change it to 4g63T
that s why i will work on 4g61T I wish i could find a tutorial something else which part do i need for this modification..
I am searching on the web they talk about 4g63 conversion:(
I think elantra motors seems same like 4g61T
If i am wrong please warn me
thanks a lot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:36 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

The ''92-''95 Hyundai Elantra clone of the 1.6 4G61 is known as the G4CR [Helpful Note: the elantra from "92-95" also had a nearly identical looking 1.8 motor, known as G4CN so make sure you look at the ID stamp on the front of the block], you will need to swap the pistons over if you get a non turbo block because they have higher compression...unless you keep the boost low, and have a way to tune the car.

it would be best to order a jdm 4G61T turbo motor that already has the turbo, and all the parts that go with it, but cost will be higher then making a turbo one from a non turbo motor, but the jdm motors typically have a lot lower miles, but by making a non turbo 1.6 into a turbo motor, you will also get to decide what internals you want etc. so there are pros and cons to both methods.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:41 am 
The Silent Administrator

If the inspectors only do a visual inspection of the motor and whether or not they inspect the block for the engine size designation stamping, you could put a 4g63 6 bolt turbo motor in the car because on the outside the only way to tell the difference between the two blocks, is the deck height - oil pan mounting surface to cylinder head mating surface. Everything else is interchangeable (minus water pump and timing belt (2 teeth less 4g61) and in theory the stamping on the side of the cylinder head (16, 18, 20 denotes engine size it "could" have been mated to.

So, you can weld the stamp plate behind the dipstick tube grind it flat and chisel a 3 where there was a 1, 4g6{insert chiseled number here}. If they don't car about turbo additions, then you'll put a larger motor in.

Can you only use the motor displacement the car originally came with at delivery to your country or can you use the 1.8L motor which it was equipped with in Euro and possibly Arabic nations.

You have options and support for the 4g63 is in greater supply, especially rebuild parts like pistons which are almost exclusively custom built as Mitsu wasn't filling orders for the turbo variety anymore and the aftermarket on shelf replacements dried up mostly. Companies can make them, but they have an original design weakness where ring lands crack. This is why better pistons or a 4g63t motor already in working order are a better option. If changing from a 4g61 motor and exhaust is already made for that setup, installing a 4g63 block will put the head up a few mms (the difference in deck height between. Shorter deck 4g61 and taller decked 4g63), and this will pull the exhaust pipe up that number of mm's. Small quirk that had me making a dent in my pipe to clear my chassis north/south support bar rear bolts. If you make an exhaust after, no problem.

There are options and you could get away with a few things if it is done right.

If you tell me they check for stroke length with a measuring device, down the spark if hole from BDC to TDC, then you would be out of luck using a motor with more stroke and higher displacement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:45 am 
The Silent Administrator

94.5+ Elantra (Lantra) J1 ECUs were different, so be aware. The pre-94.5 is identical and wired the same as 1990 DSM and turbo Colts/Mirages.
If you turbo the Elantra, you can use a different harness or add wires in the right places.
Best to buy a motor with ECU and all wiring intact.