4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:16 am 
Restricted Newbie

Good day Admin and members,

I'm new here. I just bought a doge colt base model I'm gonna start working on it. It is my first time to have a project car. Right now I need to replace the suspension and I don't know what type of lowering spring I should buy. I was hoping that you guys can help me decide what to choose (not that expensive pls.). I am planning to change the wheels to 15". I am also looking for a lancer gti bumper.

By the way, anybody selling a dashboard assembly can message me. Mine is cracked already.

Again, thank you so much for accepting me to this group.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:49 am 
The Silent Administrator

2" is too low. 1.5" max drop before the rear axle shunts over to the side and is no longer exactly in the middle of the rear "track" where it is supposed to be.
Remember the rear axle moves left to right to left, in an arc with partial side to side as it bottoms and tops out in terms of travel. If you sit lower than 1.5" from stock, the rear axle
will be sitting too far to the right and the front suspension angles will suffer. Not to mention that your cv axle joints may not like it much if they have worn at stock ride height for years and many many miles.

Best recommendation is stock ride height or a little lower, on coilover type suspension. See my build thread for details, as that is your most cost effective route (long term) , without having to replace suspension components that likely will wear out annually, if you otherwise lowered the car with stiffer springs and used OEM style KYB ExcelG/GR2's. Konis are hard to find right now, but Coltixim had some made to his spec, valved a little stiffer than stock replacements, and matched to his intended lowering coils. Search his name and + Koni, and you will find the thread.
Get a stiffer sidewall tire like the 205/50 R15" Dunlop Direzza DZ102 (quite inexpensive) and this will solve most of the issues with tire sidewalls rolling over in corners. They are quite grippy and are miles ahead of stock touring type tires. Can't speak for them in the rain, as of yet, but they have large water type grooves. Grab a set of lightweight Galant wagon wheels, and they will clear any entry level DSM brake upgrade until you get into fixed calipers and such. Best bang for the buck and low cost too. See Galant wheels go pretty cheap, and easy enough to blast and restore should you choose to, or just plastic dip them in the mean time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:50 am 
The Silent Administrator

Barring all that, just get replacement shock absorbers and call it a day. My advice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:36 pm 
The happy administrator

Check this thread out. Lots of info in the information archives section. Most of these parts can be found cheap from dsm partouts.

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26736

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd