4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:09 pm 
The Silent Administrator

That is a great update kidflyr! Things are looking up, in many respects. Congratulations on the new job, Cap!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:14 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Glad I could help you save this old gem, if I were nearby Id help you do all of the maintenance lol thats not too hard to do on these cars, assuming you have all the tools and parts, whenever your ready to do more upgrades, or as budget allows, let me know if you need anything else, to keep this car going :D .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:13 pm 

Went to get emissions tested for registration renewal yesterday, the check engine light wouldn't illuminate during the key-on system check, when the various warning lights in the instrument illuminate briefly to show that they can function. Turns out the check engine light bulb had been changed with a slightly incorrect sized bulb at some point and it had fallen out. I replaced all the mini-bulbs on the panel and had a diagnostic trouble code stored, according to the newly functional light :x code long long long long pause, short short short. Code 43, EGR (California models only). I am not thrilled at the cost of the EGR Thermo valve or temperature sensor, so I cleaned out the carbon buildup from the EGR valve paying close attention to the pintle and the EGR temperature sensor probe. I cleared the code by disconnecting the (-) battery terminal, drove about 5 miles with the EGR temperature sensor disconnected, the Check engine light came on at mile 1.5 or 1.6. Reconnected the temperature sensor (electrical connector between injectors 2 and 3), cleared the code and have done one trip of 10 miles with no code yet. I could probably have reused the factory gasket, It appears to be very thin spring steel, but a new (graphite?) gasket was $2.71 out the door so I installed a new one. Hopefully another successful emissions test tomorrow will allow me to move on to the half shaft and suspension repairs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm 

Phew! Passed the test! :D And only threw about $7 in parts at the problem between the EGR gasket and some vacuum tubing. It seems that the vacuum circuit which operates the EGR valve had alligator cracks in it. Hydrocarbons came in pretty high on the emissions printout, while CO was very little. It seems the catalyst is still working on the CO, but I'm speculating there may be some extra fuel delivery or poor combustion occurring upstream.

For now I'm calling it a success. My wife is happy that the car passed and reports slightly smoother running after the tinkering that got the car through emissions. We'll see how it goes next time emissions comes up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:54 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Is this the one I see by Winchester auto. Looks familiar