4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:16 am 
Restricted Newbie

Thought I'd get the intro post out of the way.

Name's Dave, I live in Fort Worth, but grew up in Indiana. Currently I have a 1gb Talon, but I finally found a good 89 Colt that I'm picking up tomorrow. I've been wanting to do a CSM build for probably 10 years now, and I couldn't pass up a 100$ Colt.

:finga:

I'll post some pictures up tomorrow when I get it to the house. As of yet, the only plan I have for the thing is to use the Talon as a donor for the swap, and then have some fun with it before I worry about anything else.

- Dave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:29 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Introducing the Colt to it's new habitat.

Blue interior. I kinda like it...

:D

The donor Talon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:48 pm 

welcome to the board.. nice looking car.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:51 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
welcome to the board.. nice looking car.

Steve
Thanks.

It has some minor cosmetic issues, none of which I care about. Trim and interior pieces I can replace easily, but there is a small dent in the hood, driver side fender, and the roof as well. For it's age, it's in very good shape.

I'm not looking to build a car that is slick looking anyway, I'm going for the "Econobeater" look.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:27 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Nice. Should be a fun project.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:32 pm 
2nd Banana

Welcome! Let's see some more pics of that DSM. It looks clean!

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:59 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Nice. Should be a fun project.
I hope so. I really can't wait to get started on it.

Quote:
Welcome! Let's see some more pics of that DSM. It looks clean!
The picture is deceiving, it isn't that clean. It has a lot of hail damage, the paint is terrible, and there is some light passenger side body damage you can't see here. I was in the middle of pulling the engine for a rebuild when I bought the Colt, so it makes sense to use it as a parts car for this project. I'll own another 1g at some point, but I'm really looking for an Auto/AWD one.

It has been a lot of fun to drive and work on, and I will miss it until the Colt gets going.

:)

I just recently had my phone brick on me, and couldn't salvage pictures that were on it. I'll take some tomorrow, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:02 am 
The happy administrator

Welcome to 61t! I've been keeping my eye open for a white csm for an auto/awd swap sometime in the future.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:08 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Welcome to 61t! I've been keeping my eye open for a white csm for an auto/awd swap sometime in the future.
There's a couple of local guys with Auto/AWD 1g's that are ridicutarded fast for the power they make, I'm now pretty much sold on that combo. I would like to eventually AWD swap the Colt, build a 2.4, and throw an auto trans in there... but I'm nowhere near needing to worry about that. First things first, and all that. Maybe when the wife finishes nursing school and some money is freed up.

As requested, some pics of the DSM:

Not bad from this angle...

Engine is out with about another hour worth of work, which should happen in the next week (hopefully).
I drove it to work and used a pressure washer to degrease it before I parked it, so it's actually pretty clean in this picture.

That door cladding rattles a lot, it's broken and warped, and I'm not sure how it hasn't fallen off yet. You can also see the door/fender damage that is common for some reason.

You can clearly see the line where the clear coat stops, and where you can almost see bare metal through the paint between the wing and glass. Whole car is pretty much like this.

May not be very visible, but the roof looks a little like a whiffle ball with the hail damage.

The AC compressor was completely seized when I got it, and all the AC lines had been disconnected. All the knobs were missing, so I decided to use that spot for gauges. I got a cheapy boost gauge to check vac/wastegate pressure. Evo shift knob was in the car when I bought it.

Driving this car in the summer was... not fun.

When I bought it the guy told me the clutch was bad (true), but past that he didn't know what else was going on. The clutch was bad because the trans had backed off the block, and only the top two bolts were barely holding it on. Only one starter bolt was there as well. I ended up putting in new hardware, flywheel, clutch kit, lower control arms, inner/out tied rod ends, brakes and wheel bearings all the way around, both axles, new tires and wheels, flushed all the fluids, tune up, and did a complete timing job. I'm pretty sure I did a lot more, but I can't remember at this point.

It has basic mods; Prothane motor mounts, 3" exhaust, boost controller (was running 15 psi). It wasn't fast, but it was quick enough to be fun. I spent more time fixing it than modding it, and I still wasn't done with fixing it.

:o

I parked it because it was leaking oil from almost every seal and gasket except the head gasket. I was going to put it back in the Talon after I checked everything, and freshened up the engine. Clearly, not now.

Once I gut everything I want from the Talon, that's my first order of business.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:02 pm 
Some call me a god

Welcome to the board, I was wondering when you where going to make it over here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:20 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Welcome to the board, I was wondering when you where going to make it over here.
Ah, hey man.

:D

I've known about the board for a long time, just never had cause to register. I was actually wondering when you'd pop in this thread lol.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:36 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Welp, got the motor pulled out of the Talon. I parked it on the stand in front of the Colt, so they can get used to each other for a bit.

I seriously need to clean out my garage, and build a workbench and some shelves. I think that's the next project before I start working on the Colt. It will make everything easier.

I still have some more work to do on the Talon in the driveway, so I can probably procrastinate on that for a little while longer.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:43 am 
Restricted Newbie

Slowly getting somewhere with this.

I finally got that workbench built. Seems to be working out well enough, and I only have about 200$ in it, mostly lumber.

Tore the engine down, found a lot of stuff I didn't want to find. It's going to set me back quite a bit in both time and cost.

Measured the crank, it was barely in spec, but would have to be at least polished if not machined. Lots of deep scratching, especially on the center main.

Luckily I found a short block locally for 150$, came with ARP head studs and rod bolts, front case and oil pump, all the timing components, and a good crank. Not bad.

So that's where I'm at. I'm hoping to have the motor back together and put away in the corner before Christmas, and then I can start prepping the Colt for the swap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:31 am 
CSM Junkie

Diggin the workspace and your organization :D
i notice the ice tray. Do you watch jafros videos?

Keane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:52 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Diggin the workspace and your organization :D
i notice the ice tray. Do you watch jafros videos?

Of course.