4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 pm 

Nah bud, just stock, tired rubber mounts. They weren't torn or in bad shape, just the parts that I chose to build the engine with played a huge role in the way that the car ran. When I had the 61t it was bone stock on the inside. The 63t had Evo VIII pistons, 1g shotpeened rods, 6 bolt crank, ARP everything (mains, con rods, head studs, exhaust and intake manifold studs), ACL Teflon main bearings, Evo III cams with OBX gears, Cosmetic MLS head gasket, 1st gen (big port) ported and polished head with matched Cyclone dual runner intake manifold, 2g ported exhaust manifold, 19c 6cm turbo ported to match everything, 2g MAF, 2g AWD 3" downpipe with hi flow cat and 3" exhaust to polished eBay fart can, 1g uncrushed BOV, SMIC and piping, 660cc injectors, a manual boost controller, and an SAFC for tuning. I was working on an extremely limited budget at the time and when it was all said and done I had an extremely fast car that ate a Vette and a Lexus ISF and like an idiot, I traded it for an 89 Eagle Summit sedan (4g61NA) that another member here has converted and still owns.
Just take my word of advice: if you find a Colt and you put years of hard work and blood, sweat, and tears into, don't sell it when you run out of money and patience. I miss all three of my babies and if I had the money they would all be sitting in my driveway right now. They might not be a BMW or a $100,000 sports car but they grow on you and they instill pride in you when something that you built takes on a $50,000+ sports car and destroys them. I don't know, I always root for the underdog.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:52 pm 

Quote:
Nah bud, just stock, tired rubber mounts. They weren't torn or in bad shape, just the parts that I chose to build the engine with played a huge role in the way that the car ran. When I had the 61t it was bone stock on the inside. The 63t had Evo VIII pistons, 1g shotpeened rods, 6 bolt crank, ARP everything (mains, con rods, head studs, exhaust and intake manifold studs), ACL Teflon main bearings, Evo III cams with OBX gears, Cosmetic MLS head gasket, 1st gen (big port) ported and polished head with matched Cyclone dual runner intake manifold, 2g ported exhaust manifold, 19c 6cm turbo ported to match everything, 2g MAF, 2g AWD 3" downpipe with hi flow cat and 3" exhaust to polished eBay fart can, 1g uncrushed BOV, SMIC and piping, 660cc injectors, a manual boost controller, and an SAFC for tuning. I was working on an extremely limited budget at the time and when it was all said and done I had an extremely fast car that ate a Vette and a Lexus ISF and like an idiot, I traded it for an 89 Eagle Summit sedan (4g61NA) that another member here has converted and still owns.
Just take my word of advice: if you find a Colt and you put years of hard work and blood, sweat, and tears into, don't sell it when you run out of money and patience. I miss all three of my babies and if I had the money they would all be sitting in my driveway right now. They might not be a BMW or a $100,000 sports car but they grow on you and they instill pride in you when something that you built takes on a $50,000+ sports car and destroys them. I don't know, I always root for the underdog.
Sounds like you and I are cut from the same cloth. I always vote for the underdog. I've watched that video of the swapped colt beating that Ferrari f355 10 times and it never gets old.

I've got a couple of boys like you too about the same distance apart albeit mine are now 11 and 13. The 13 year old is starting to get interested in cars now (thank god). I'm sure you'll have many more projects coming up the three of you can work on together. My Dad never had an interest in working with me on anything. I swore I'd get my hands dirty with my boys, there are few stronger bonds you can make than conquering mechanical problems together.

Every car I've built I regret selling, but each new project I take on get's easier. I'm currently quitting smoking and I can't wait to get my hands on something new, maybe I'm just replacing one obsession with another...HA!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:48 pm 

I know exactly what you mean, my Dad never wanted to work with me on anything either. My dad can't even be bothered to cut the grass, my 63 year old mother has to do it. I started cutting the grass when I was 6 and I left home at 14 and moved from Tampa, Florida to where I live now, New Brighton, Pennsylvania (30 miles outside of Pittsburgh). I stayed here to try to focus and finish school but 3 days after my 16th birthday I found a strange lump on my neck that ended up being Hodgkin's Lymphoma. The next day I moved back to Tampa because the oncologist that was assigned to me here wanted to remove my spleen to check for malignancy and treat me with radiation ONLY. It was at that point that I was told that I had three months to live. Well my parents wanted me with them if something was to happen to me and they wanted me to get better treatment as well as a second opinion. Basically, I saw a doctor at St. Josephs Children's Hospital in Tampa and underwent six weeks of chemotherapy and radiation and made it past the three month mark, then six months, then a year, then three years, and so on. After I made it through the five year mark the doctor told me that my chances of ever being able to have children were very slim and I'm the only male that my parents have (my two sisters are 42 and 36 and I'm 30). But shortly after my wife and I got married we found out that she was pregnant. I am the first person in 5 generations to have a boy first and the first person in seven generations to have two boys, so I am very blessed. I want my kids to have the kind of father that I never had, a hands on father that is always willing to show them something new and is involved with their lives. So o try to be the best father that I can be. Now my doctor is telling me that I'll be lucky to see 40 so I'm trying to enjoy every single day.
I'll move on to bigger and better projects eventually and hopefully I can get my kids into work g on them with me when they get old enough to do so. My dad doesn't know anything about cars so I basically had to teach myself by tearing something apart and putting it back together. I'm on my 38th car since I was 14...that's saying something.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:54 pm 

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean, my Dad never wanted to work with me on anything either. My dad can't even be bothered to cut the grass, my 63 year old mother has to do it. I started cutting the grass when I was 6 and I left home at 14 and moved from Tampa, Florida to where I live now, New Brighton, Pennsylvania (30 miles outside of Pittsburgh). I stayed here to try to focus and finish school but 3 days after my 16th birthday I found a strange lump on my neck that ended up being Hodgkin's Lymphoma. The next day I moved back to Tampa because the oncologist that was assigned to me here wanted to remove my spleen to check for malignancy and treat me with radiation ONLY. It was at that point that I was told that I had three months to live. Well my parents wanted me with them if something was to happen to me and they wanted me to get better treatment as well as a second opinion. Basically, I saw a doctor at St. Josephs Children's Hospital in Tampa and underwent six weeks of chemotherapy and radiation and made it past the three month mark, then six months, then a year, then three years, and so on. After I made it through the five year mark the doctor told me that my chances of ever being able to have children were very slim and I'm the only male that my parents have (my two sisters are 42 and 36 and I'm 30). But shortly after my wife and I got married we found out that she was pregnant. I am the first person in 5 generations to have a boy first and the first person in seven generations to have two boys, so I am very blessed. I want my kids to have the kind of father that I never had, a hands on father that is always willing to show them something new and is involved with their lives. So o try to be the best father that I can be. Now my doctor is telling me that I'll be lucky to see 40 so I'm trying to enjoy every single day.
I'll move on to bigger and better projects eventually and hopefully I can get my kids into work g on them with me when they get old enough to do so. My dad doesn't know anything about cars so I basically had to teach myself by tearing something apart and putting it back together. I'm on my 38th car since I was 14...that's saying something.
That is saying something. Glad to hear you're taking things one day at a time. Sometimes news like you got early on helps you to live a fuller life. Sounds like you are more than on your way to doing that. Thanks for sharing your story.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:36 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:

Well said, I would never sell my Colt or even my 2G I rather part out the car first if I really need money, because no one will pay you the effort, blood, gas, tears and everything that you spent on it...