4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:07 am 

Hey CSMers,

Well I did pick up a red AWD 1995 Eagle summit Automatic a month ago. Trying to decide the goals for next year for this Wagon. Per Carfax I am the 7th owner lol...

"Big Red" has only 72k miles and found out it has rear disc brakes also. This van needs some minor maintenance but runs and drives perfectly fine with timing done at 61k. Its tough to do the major overhaul with such low miles. Right now I am using this as my Daily and parts hauler.

So for future plans that are definitive are a 4G63T 2.0L 6 bolt long block with auto transmission. Adding a set of 15" wheels to it. And everything else is in the air for next year.

I found a good deal on some Auto trans parts (someone parting out a 95 2g GSX auto 74k miles). Should I go ahead and pick off all the auto stuff or should I go the route of RVR auto trans from Japan?

So thats my first question. Any help is appreciated.
More to come. Here is the picture of the soccer dad beast lol.

4G63 Built: LUVLee "Chevy Luv"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:14 pm 

Congrats and welcome! A buddy of mine had one identical to that but it was FWD. They are very nice daily drivers for sure. I agree and it would be hard for me to tear into her too with such low mileage. But maybe the old engine and trans can makes its way into another wagon for somebody else to save it from the junkyard. I can't offer up much info on which trans would work out better for you but I'm sure one of the wagon guru's will chime in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:53 pm 
CSM Junkie

you will want to save headache and use the RVR trans. its a bolt in.
the 1g a/t does not have roll stop mounts. your summit has roll stops mounted on transmission like a 2g.. you would have to fabricate custom roll stops to use 1g trans.
the 2g a/t trans has roll stops but uses a lockup converter. the bell housing is moved over about 1/2 inch so the summit axles would be half inch too long and half inch too short. you would have to make custom axles.
the RVR trans is essentially 1g trans 1g converter mounted in 2g style cases. the RVR trans is getting hard to find here and the asking prices have gone up. . they were plentiful a few years ago and cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:15 pm 

Quote:
Congrats and welcome! A buddy of mine had one identical to that but it was FWD. They are very nice daily drivers for sure. I agree and it would be hard for me to tear into her too with such low mileage. But maybe the old engine and trans can makes its way into another wagon for somebody else to save it from the junkyard. I can't offer up much info on which trans would work out better for you but I'm sure one of the wagon guru's will chime in.
Yeah thats true on selling the old 2.4L motor to someone that may need it. Hard to find Summit wagon owners nowadays haha.
Quote:
the 1g a/t does not have roll stop mounts. your summit has roll stops mounted on transmission like a 2g.. you would have to fabricate custom roll stops to use 1g trans.
the 2g a/t trans has roll stops but uses a lockup converter. the bell housing is moved over about 1/2 inch so the summit axles would be half inch too long and half inch too short. you would have to make custom axles.
the RVR trans is essentially 1g trans 1g converter mounted in 2g style cases. the RVR trans is getting hard to find here and the asking prices have gone up. . they were plentiful a few years ago and cheap.
Ah that sucks! I was hoping for the 2g auto trans to work. Would I be able to use the 2g auto axles in the Wagon with the 2g auto trans?
I thought I read somewhere on here that someone made the 2g auto trans work but I guess I will go the RVR wrote if this saves me time and more money. Custom axles will be expensive.

I was hoping to use if I got the $600 2g auto trans, t-case, axles, diff, wire harness, torque converter, tcu, starter plate, etc. for the summit. I may still pick this up for the talon haha but I need to start researching where to get the RVR transmission.
Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:36 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I also just picked up a red AWD auto 1992. Trying to figure out the best trans option also. Ive seen a few rvr auto tans on ebay but not sure which ones bolt directly in to the 1992 model as Ive read its like a 1g dsm.

- 1992 Eagle Summit Van project
- 2011 Lancer Sportback 2.4L daily driver
- 2010 Mitsu L200 2.5 diesel pickup (work truck)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:31 am 

Big Red putting in work after I added an OEM rack I found off a junkyard Summit wagon.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

I used mine for tree as well. but 8 ft tree fit inside no problem.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:11 pm 

Small Tiny update... Big Red just hit 75k miles today and picked up an RVR TCU from Ebay. I am still looking for cheap 16" wheels and RVR auto trans.
Seems like the places I called say they don't have any RVR automatic trans in stock. But Big red is doing well with the stock 2.4L and stock trans. Its been my Daily for the winter time and no issues whatsoever.
I also cut one coil on the extra set of springs I have but no yet installed, just want to drop it at least an inch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:13 pm 
CSM Junkie

one coil cut works VERY well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:57 am 
CSM Junkie

Have you thought about a 2g Auto trans? You would need to make a custom mount for the back mount (the RVR mount is located at a slightly different spot) or maybe the mount plates at teh back could be swapped between your w4a32/31 and the w4a33 2g tranny? Something to think about.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:23 am 

Quote:
Have you thought about a 2g Auto trans? You would need to make a custom mount for the back mount (the RVR mount is located at a slightly different spot) or maybe the mount plates at teh back could be swapped between your w4a32/31 and the w4a33 2g tranny? Something to think about.
I was going by Lancerman's suggestion and it seems to be less of a headache. See below
thanks

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:51 am 

Small update got some wheels for Big Red. 16x7 Enkei's on 205 55 16 Kumhos
Still looking for an RVR auto trans...
and still trying to see if I need 7bolt or 6bolt motor for the RVR.
I will be dropping it alittle by cutting 1 coil off each spring. It should give me a decent stance and ride.

image hosting websites

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:42 am 
CSM Junkie

Looks nice. The hard to find RVR trans is why I suggested making a rear mount or unbolting the mount from the w4a31 and seeing if it bolts to the 2g transmission. Riceless90 got ahold of one back in 2014 for his Red wagon (now owned by DSMERxCOLT) , seems they are extinct since. Extremely hard to come by.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:22 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
Are you sure about bell housing being "shifted 1/2 inch" over? Is this also the case with the manual transmissions?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:56 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure about bell housing being "shifted 1/2 inch" over? Is this also the case with the manual transmissions?
yes very sure

guys looking for RVR a/t trans might want to call JDMOrlando. he just sold 7 of them the last two weeks on ebay. he was selling them cheap for 200 a pop. maybe he has more or more coming. but warning the guy is a liar, may be little tricky to deal with.

you can use 6 or 7 bolt engines. the roll stops are on trans like a 2g car.