4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 614 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:21 pm 
CSM Junkie

so after a few minor tweaks, tire air pressure, eliminating rattles, and drilling holes in the rear isolators, and a few days of driving on the new suspension i just have one word to describe it "AWESOME"

also installed the new nardi wheel. very pleased with.

Last edited by lancerman on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:11 pm 
2nd Banana

I don't know if this helps you, but I'm running these bumpstops on my Eclipse with Koni Yellows, and I like them a lot. They're not rubber, but you get the idea.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-Bu ... P1011.aspx

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:53 pm 
CSM Junkie

Finally decided on an engine configuration. originally thought i would just copy the 2.3 setup in my evo1. but decided a really smooth idle and smaller displacement for better gas mileage might be more important. so i was leaning toward just a high compression 2.0 for a couple months. ultimately decided on a 2186 using:
OEM 93mm 4d68 crankshaft. 86.5mm wiseco assymetric pistons and generic 147mm rods. the rods caught my eye on ebay. these aftermarket eagle copies are finally getting beefier. more meat in all the critical areas. and the 147mm length allows choosing any aftermarket 2.0 piston for use with 93/94mm stroke crankshaft. the pistons are 9.0 for evo 8, but will be about 9.3 in this motor. just what i am looking for to get good mileage and have crisp off the line feel. and no need to run big boost, rod ratio ends up at 1.56. same as a long rod 2.3 engine which is so popular these days. will rev to 9000 safely and squirt around quiet nicely on 25psi.

I also pickup up new OEM 2g manifold off ebay. it came in but was actually evo 3 manifold cut for 16g. I wanted a new manifold so i could machine a seat into the manifold to bolt the turbine housing directly to bottom of manifold. the wastegate will be mounted on top of manifold in between runners 2 and 3. I figure venting the two shorted runners will help equalize heat between the four runners. I also pickup up a second 6758 just to get the compressor cover. I dont want to run an aftermarket BOV on IC pipes. I want to keep clean and simple as possible.

Last edited by lancerman on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:37 pm 
2nd Banana

Wow, that's an interesting engine combination. I've never heard of anyone doing that. Do you mean 2186cc's?

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:39 pm 
CSM Junkie

yes its 2186cc. I think the only time people build 2.2 engines is when they cant decide whether to build 2.0 or 2.3.

the 4d68 crankshaft comes from a diesel 2.0 that was offered in these cars in japan. its a beefy 37lb crank that should be stiffer than a regular 4g63/64 crank. i found the crank on ebay a couple years ago. figured it would be usefull in a future build . only fitting that it comes from an RVR platform that it goes back in one. I am pretty sure mike reichen ran one of these cranks in his super fast little evo 2. I wont be giving it much of a workout compared to what he did with one.

the pistons I choose because they are the latest and greatest design from wiseco. really nice design pistons. 86.5 so I can reuse some of the nice 40 over blocks I have sittin here. only problem is they are made for the evo 8 engine. so in the early engine the valve cutouts will be flipped. the cutouts are very oversize for some radical lift cams. I wont get close to them even with mild cam upgrade.I plan to run evo 8 stock cam so the car will have butter smooth idle and lightening fast boost response rolling off the line in first. it will run out of breath around 6500 or so and that is okay for me. a/t does not need a high rpm powerband to be fast. english racing 1g auto project ran high tens with the car shifting at 6100rpm. this car is designed to be very quick in the 1/8th. I dont see myself blasting over 110 very often.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:26 pm 
CSM Junkie

update on the shocks in the rear. I thought they were a tad on the stiff side for my tastes. there were some KYB on ebay for 48pr. I was thinking about getting them just to try. well after couple weeks the right rear developed a noise. turns out the new shock broke on the inside. damn china parts. so a waste of 106. but the KYB turned out to be perfect ride quality. I also ordered about 400 in preventative maintenance parts. new wheel bearing, bushings, tie rod ends, control arms, etc. so lower control arms came in and they weigh 12 lbs each. compare to evo 8 that weighs 7.6lbs. has me searching for a lightweight alternative. I ordered a talon 1.8 arm. want to see if I can make that work.

I have a couple of tweeks rolling around in my head. one is the front sway bar. I wish there was a stiffer one available. failing that a simple tweak to make it work better is to move the mount on the a-arm about 3/4 farther out. this will give the bar more leverage without even changing the bar. so I think I will give that a try.

second mod is this 3.0 steeering rack is really bothering me. the current handling improvements already could use a faster rack. I looked at all the other mitsu racks, the talon is 2.75. problem is it looks like it wont fit. the high pressure line would interfere with firewall. so I was thinking about re drilling a hole for the tie rods on the steering arms to make it a little quicker. not sure it would be enough and would weaken the arm if it doesnt work and I want to go back to original mounting hole.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:18 pm 
CSM Junkie

rock auto upgrade day. new lower control arms $45 each, new inner and outer tie rods and new rack boots. $4.50/3.20/9.50. dealer sway bushings $5. sway bar links $8.50. was a little reticent to do this stuff as nothing on the car "looked" bad. but i had a very slight knocking sound going over certain bumps.and there were a few boots ripped so i figured it might be worth some preventative maintenance. as it turned out one ball joint had a good amount of play, one inner tie rod had play, and one sway bar link was loose as well. first side took about four hours. second side maybe an hour. first test drive was shocking. wasnt expecting suck a nice improvement on how it drives. soooo much smoother and refined. wow wow wow. cant wait to get back out there tomorrow to install more stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:49 am 
CSM Junkie

let my wife drive the car this morning. she drove the car when we first got it and her comments were not favorable. she was actually mad i bought the car. today she was asking if this car could be HER car. haha. pressure cleaned the seats today and they came out like new. just fabulous condition for being 21 years old. I am not a big sticker guy but this just seemed so appropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:24 pm 

Those seats turned out great! These little wagons look so good in white too.

Sounds like my wife. Wants nothing to do with my POS car until I clean it up and it starts to look decent, then all of a sudden she's interested. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:48 pm 
CSM Junkie

carpet came out pretty good. there are some rust stains around the brackets that didnt come out. and the front floor mat has been missing i guess for some time so the driver side is a bit dingy. wish new carpet was like a couple hundred. i would spring for it. this car deserves it.floors look great. no rust or staining of any sort. at this point i would normally tackle the foaming of frame but its driving quite nicely so i am going to shift my focus toward getting the turbo engine in this thing. would like to drive it up to the shootout this year but its approaching quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:38 am 

There is a writeup on GVR4.org about dying the carpet. Maybe look into that? You can also buy the thick rubber universal mats in grey and cut them to fit. They won't be oem but they do look nice and do a great job of keeping the dirt off your carpet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

shrouded my half radiator ebay fan last nite. gonna install that next. wasnt too concerned about looks. you really only see the top when its installed. took some pics next to modern day minivan. looks really small next to it. still detailing car but its really starting to look minty.

Last edited by lancerman on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:44 pm 

It almost looks like it'll fit in the back of the honda.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:35 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
It almost looks like it'll fit in the back of the honda.
thats actually what the honda owner said. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:47 am 

Cars have just blown up over the past ten years or so. I bet if you park your evo 2 beside a evo 10 it would be the same way.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 614 Next