4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 514 Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:57 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I hope you like the side-exit. Every side-exit car I've ever been in has been very droney and loud, but they also weren't using full-size mufflers.
if it is annoying in anyway I can just add the piping all the way to the back. full size muffler in cat position does far more than full size at back. two full size under car should be great. little worried about scaring cars on my left side though. or scaring myself getting on it next to brick walls.
On my car, I used a large Ultra-flow muffler and I did put a resonator in it. I have NO drone, it is quiet in fact!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:59 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Win that is pretty Clean underside. I have on the Red Summit full exhaust. I don't have the stock fuel tank and the way it is currently routed it not possible to have the stock tank.
Let me know and I will take and post pictures

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:44 pm 
CSM Junkie

small first mod. pickud up some FWD springs from upull yard. there are indeed about .6 shorter than awd cars. seems to have dropped it closer to 3/4 inch. nice mod for a 20.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:10 pm 

Don't be shy about cutting the springs ;). It is OK, as long as you do not overdo it! Plus, it will make it stiffer!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:35 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Don't be shy about cutting the springs ;). It is OK, as long as you do not overdo it! Plus, it will make it stiffer!
Agreed, I actually loved the way my Mirage rode/handled with 1g AWD springs that had one coil cut off. 2 coils? Not so much...

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:15 am 

I have 1g DSM AWD Tein 1.2 drop springs on mine that are not cut and it has the perfect ride height in the front for some 16x7-7.5 or 17x7 215/45/r17 +35 for sure with no fender rub.

The pictures i posted are of the basically the same springs (H&R 1.25 drop) with 1 coil cut out. The first pic is of 17x7 215/45/r17 +35 and second is 16x8 +25 and the reason I raised it by putting uncut springs on it just raised it by .5in.
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=36857&start=60

There we 210 shipped.
http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product ... 400&page=1

I didn't use the rear springs from the dsm awd tein and currently on cut stock summit springs. I plan on doing air bags with valves ran just under the rear bumper.

I didn't like the cut front springs as I was getting noise that didn't sound good that I assume was the springs not seating right. I have unfortunately have one little problem after another since I put the springs on and rims on.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:30 am 

You can't use DSM or EVO springs in the rear of these vans/wagons ;). I wouldn’t worry about the length of the springs (you can cut them to just about anything you want). Wire diameter is more important and I found that 7 passenger AWD wagon spring were the largest/thickets. That is what I am currently using in the rear

01 Isuzu VehiCHROSS (winter beater) 17.0@80
80 Triumph TR7 (4G63 swap project)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:00 pm 
CSM Junkie

I am not trying to make this car ride rough. I would never want to drive it. I like to lower my cars without sacrificing ride quality. i have some bilstein touring class shocks on the way. I already know the rear works quite well as i just installed some on my evo 1. The only feedback i have found on dsm platform was that they ride "sporty" once the car rides well i lower mounting points. this is the correct way to lower a car as it doesnt shorten original shock travel. most shocks are position sensitive. when you lower car with shorter spings you are lowering the starting position of the shock. this is not good. the valving doesnt have the travel to operate correctly, allows the shock to bottom out and self destruct. this is why you see sooo many people calling KYB shocks crap. they are not good shocks to use with lowering springs. they self destruct. koni yellows and reds are good shocks to use with lowered springs. they are not position sensitive. the valving works well starting at lower positions. I only plan to lower car 3/4 all around from where i am now. the front can be done by lowering mounting point on spindle. limited by how close shock gets to CV boot. about 3/4 tops. the rear will be a bit tougher. i plan to cut the spring perch and lower it by 3/4 and weld back on.

the other thing i plan to do is tweak the sway bar mounting points to give them better leverage. this improves handling as well without sacrificing comfort.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:15 pm 

I remember watching one of the jafromobile videos on youtube and he mentions that a stock csm strut will lower a 1g dsm since the spring pocket sits lower like you're talking about. If that's true it would save you some cutting and welding but I see you already have struts ordered.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:45 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
I remember watching one of the jafromobile videos on youtube and he mentions that a stock csm strut will lower a 1g dsm since the spring pocket sits lower like you're talking about. If that's true it would save you some cutting and welding but I see you already have struts ordered.
while that is true you cant run a very tall tire. 215/45/17 wont clear the perch. from my experience

here is the bilstein review:
Quote:
After installing them I took it out for a ride and the car was much much more controlled especially with body roll, acceleration kickback, the braking nose-dive and those sloppy lateral movements DSM’s usually have.

In comparison to the KYB GR2’s they ride better and perform better from what I can remember from having them in my 91 AWD years ago. Bilstein’s rebound setting is noticeably more aggressive giving the driver more control.. The compression valving rides more sporty kinda as the car should have from the factory, but ride better than the GR2’s. I remember my GR2’s riding a little rougher and then when I stepped up to the AGX’s I thought my brain was shaking around in my head every time I went over a bump or pothole.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:48 pm 

Stiffing up the spring doesn't realy make your ride feel stiff. "Hard ride" comes from: aggrasive shocks or riding bump stops. I once drove DSM with 1100/900lbs springs around VERY GOOD dampers (Penskis) and it felt very good!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:22 pm 
CSM Junkie

yeah like a set of ohlins would be my first choice. this build is somewhat of a budget build.. gonna see how far I can get it on a tight budget. see how much fun it is. then consider buying some nice stuff for it.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:17 pm 
CSM Junkie

shocks came in this week and couldnt wait for the weekend to get some time to play with the new toys. end result is a stance that is one inch lower all the way around. and a MUCH better handling car. but a MUCH rougher riding car. so read on if you want to see exactly what i changed. what i am happy with and what will needs more tweaking to be happy.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:34 pm 
CSM Junkie

started with the fronts. while i liked driving the car i was very unhappy with how unsafe the car felt with just basic maneuvers. no way was i going to turbo this thing with addressing the suspension first. the shocks on the car were original. they all worked and were oil free. just old and tired. rather than cut the stock springs i found acura RSX 2006 springs that seemed like they might work well. 20 bucks at a upull yard. they are a good bit shorter and about 1.5 lbs lighter with less coils. they dont ring as high pitch as most springs. more of a low pitch ring like it absorbs energy better. they also have a very nice insulator with built in dust boot. acura forums say they are 258lb springs, stock summit is 137lbs. but this is only a good comparison number if they were same legnth. but they are not. a stock spring is 274 lbs when compressed two inches. with the RSX spring about three inches shorter you can get an idea some known compressed lengths would be needed to compare correctly.

found this rubber bump stop at the yard. it was in the isle so i dont know what car it came off of. sooo much nicer than the stock foam ones that dont hold up for sqaut when the shock gets tired. anyone know of a car that has nice rubber stops let me know. couldnt find any on ebay either.
so after doing the fronts I was immediately happy with the drop. left was 26.5 and dropped to 25.5. right was 26 and dropped to 25. have no idea why the car rides higher on one side. gotta figure that out. I only drove to lunch after doing the fronts. but was very happy with that drive. what i noticed were the reduction of brake dive. reduction of body roll, and how well the car flew over speed tables. couldnt wait to mod the rear to see even further improvements. i wish now i would have drove it more. more on that later.

Last edited by lancerman on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:53 pm 
CSM Junkie

doing the rears took some work. the rear shocks i bought immediately after installing some on my evo 1. at the time i really didnt know they would have to be so heavily modded to work on the summit. the perch has to be cut off. and the eye mount is vastly different. AND the shock on summit was 24 inches extended. the new strut only 22.5. took about 45 minutes to do the first side then maybe 20 minutes to complete the second side. finished length is 23. i thought that would be perfect for a one inch drop i was after. I thought this was going to be a good upgrade as the the shock swap on my evo 1 was nothing but net. improvements everywhere. the springs were cut by 3/4 coil. I knew cutting a full coil was good for 1.25 drop. I wanted to drop only 1.00 so i took less off. mailed that part. but as it turns out i think theses shocks on the rear are too stiff for my tastes. it doidnt take long driving the car to realize i didnt like the new overly sporty drive. you feel every little bump in the road now. very annoying. far more rattles in the car. best way to describe it is like adding 10 pounds air to your tires. its that much stiffer. annoying part is i am pretty shure its just the rear that is too stiff. but i didnt drive it long enough one the front only change to be sure.

UPDATE. these rear bilsteins didnt work well at all. started making noise internally. bought standard KYB replacements made for the car and they work very well.

Last edited by lancerman on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 514 Next