4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 814 Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:13 pm 
CSM Junkie

pickup up a keyless entry for the car. the remote arrived in pretty well used shape. i was thinking I could get a new replacement case on ebay for a few bucks. but to no avail. case was held together with tape and just plain looked nasty. took it all apart and restored the finish to presentable. found the the right screw for it to hold it together. I now have a nice remote.

video of short drive to show stock parts in good shape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUFlCnBx0mA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:47 pm 
CSM Junkie

Love this effort, keep it up!

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:21 am 

You're welcome lol

4G63 Built: LUVLee "Chevy Luv"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

so I am ready to commence this swap. weather is very nice for working long hours. problem is i discovered a potential problem. I want the car to remain full automatic so my wife can drive it. I discovered I am going to need the RVR turbo TCU for the trans to work. most likely will go into limp mode with a US based TCU. so far have not been able to even find a part number for it. there must be a few over here from all the turbo RVR swaps that have been shipped here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:59 pm 

Can you bypass the TCU and use a Shift box? I know it wont be "automatic" but shifting with buttons. I have not really looked into the shift box from roadsurge.
But I am looking into RVR trans swap in my Summit wagon. I am looking for RVR transmission so if I find a TCU too I will let you know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:21 pm 
The Silent Administrator

What year RVR? Model type etc? I have Japanese ASA here ... just need a little more info as I have no experience with this model.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:02 pm 
CSM Junkie

shift box can control any auto trans. but thats not what i want. I want full auto just like stock. car is a 1994. for JDM model 93-96 should work. but needs to be from 2.0 turbo. there are RVRs with 1.8 and 2.0 n/a. those wont work. has to be 2.0 turbo model.

finally found the correct number for the TCU its MD758271. chassis code is n23w. got one on the way from canada.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:51 am 

Just wondering if you had time to install the TCU or if it even came in yet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:45 pm 
CSM Junkie

the TCU arrived. they are e-prom so thats nice. the board looks different than the 98 USA e-prom awd board I have here. not that it matters just thought it was interesting. its not installed yet. car is still running stock st the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:58 pm 

Quote:
the TCU arrived. they are e-prom so thats nice. the board looks different than the 98 USA e-prom awd board I have here. not that it matters just thought it was interesting. its not installed yet. car is still running stock st the moment.
So with the RVR trans in your summit, you can still drive it with the OEM Summit TCU but its just in Limp mode? I maybe going the same direction you are once I find a good deal on a RVR Trans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:46 pm 
CSM Junkie

I will know more in a couple weeks hopefully. I will try several TCUs to see what works.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:33 pm 
CSM Junkie

got head ready. nicely ported on exhaust side. mild clean up on intake side. loaded with evo 8 hardware and evo 3 cams.
started assembly on block. got new balance shaft bearings pressed in. pretty intense job in itself. I made special tool to use on my press. hard to get them in and not distort them. then fitting evo 8 oil squirters. the bases have to be shaved or they will snap the housing and ruin the squirter. these were then re-pointed to give optimum squirt to underside of piston. i know a lot of people like to eliminate squirters on a rebuild. I saw yes if engine is going in drag car. but HECK no for a street car. they serve very important job of stabilizing crown temp. i dont build motors without them.
next up was fitting crankshaft. turns out this crank has a good bit of use on it. rods came up .002 mains were a tad over .003. thrust at .0055. while these clearances are fine for drag engine, i likely would have used HX bearings on rods to get them at .003 as well. But this is a street car that will see miles. So I ordered -.025mm mains. most people dont know these exist. these are stock bearings that are made tighter by .001. this will get my main clearance down to .002. better clearance for what I am doing here. I am a little weary running a non nitrided crank. but was just too lazy to send it off. this will be first 7 bolt in ten years I have built with stock non hardened crank. While i am pretty confident in my tuning skills to not run engine into detonation i am worried about my day ruined with crankwalk. So I bought a can of molykote off ebay to coat the thrust surface on the center main. I will likely use it on the piston skirts as well since I have it cant hurt. reading pdf files on this stuff is interesting. this stuff can be used to coat piston rings!. better seal, longer life, less friction. hmmmm
took me a while to decide how to get built motor in car with the least amount of risk. there is nothing worse for a new block then getting it in and it not start right up. so I considered option A: converting car to DOHC first. turbo conversion second, shortblock last after its running turbo. option B: install shortblock first. get it running in stock form. then convert to DOHC, then turbo. then there is option C: install built block, DOHC head at same time. but get it started on the original ECU, distributer and injectors. then convert to turbo after engine is in and broken in proper. So I am opting for option C. it seems like best option for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:13 pm 
CSM Junkie

worked about four hours on mounting turbo. tapped bottom of manifold for 12x1.25. cut an ebay flange up to make some sturdy bosses. I like it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:47 pm 
2nd Banana

^^ THAT'S really cool!

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:50 am 
The Silent Administrator

How thick of a spacer is required to clear the block face or does it clear in that configuration?

I agree with Tonus. I don't get out much (new internet stuff) but I bet that is genuinely new, as to how you figured on this way of connecting those two hot parts.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 814 Next