4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1114 Next
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:51 pm 

Yeah ^^^ same question. I have been looking for an RVR trans. Is the motor 7bolt?

4G63 Built: LUVLee "Chevy Luv"

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:47 pm 
CSM Junkie

I just look on ebay. most all the importers post up there. yes this engine is 7 bolt. its the later 7 bolt as well with cam sensor on the end of valve cover. the early 7s have the sensor under the cam gear (which I dont like) this particular RVR engine is from the hyper sports gear. they were the only rvr with front mount inter cooler. thus the downfiring turbo. got really lucky as the hyper ones are extra rare. they are generally 1750-1850 shipped. got this one for 1600.

there were two rvr trans on ebay last week from jdmorlando. one for 150 and one for 200. was gonna snag them both but thought about it too long. they both sold pretty much same day listed.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:11 pm 
CSM Junkie

so engine arrived.
but all is not good. car was in a roll over. engine and trans cases broke. and has .009 thrust play.

so after a week of negotiations I was refunded 1145. so I have 470 invested.
started tearing it apart right away.
engine case will be easy to weld.
no wonder she was walking. look how narrow that thrust surface is. far right is worn bearing. middle is oem from another 7 bolt, and left is current after market.
will be installing new thrust bearing. engine was otherwise extremely nice inside. no trauma at all.

trans case has a huge crack. but hey it was cheap. I will get it welded up for like 50 bucs and use the sucker.

Last edited by lancerman on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

got thrust in. now has .002 thrust play. welded up the case. modified the pick-up while pan was down. welded on more advanced evo 8 design pick-up tube.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:26 pm 
CSM Junkie

finally have time to swap engine. got engine pulled over the weekend. got two projects to tackle before engine goes in.
1. talon ratio rack.
2. removing ABS pump.

today I modified the rack. was given a talon rack as a starting point. took it apart and measured what I could. was a little weary about taking summit rack apart. they actually are not that easy to come by. so if I somehow ruined it it would create lots of downtime which I trying to avoid.
turns out shaft size, seals and bearings are same size. the talon has a 9 tooth pinion gear. the summit has an 8 tooth. pinion design is pretty interesting. it has what I would call a built in shock absorber. rack teeth actually look the same . same tooth count. so much so I though they were interchangeable. but later found the pitch to be slightly different. what is vastly different is the height of the summit pinion assembly. they are not readily interchangeable. stared at the differences for a couple hours trying to figure out fastest path to making this happen. I slowly committed to cutting both shafts and welding them together. I machined the parts with a pilot and .012 interference fit. that way they could be pressed together keeping the new shaft relatively straight. and greatly facilitating the welding step. this isnt for everyone. but I am happy with the results. the rack turns very smooth on the ground. talon ratio is a reality. super pumped I am.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:59 pm 

I always love your updates because you tackle some weird shit :lol: . You're never scared to jump in and try something new. There are still 4 of these wagons in one of the local yards if you ever need anything. Cooler weather is here so its junkyard season in NC.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:34 pm 
2nd Banana

And here I thought you were just swapping it out for a lighter pinion gear. :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:02 pm 
CSM Junkie

Really awesome stuff. 1, i love the extra lengths you go in your build. And 2, thanks for sharing that is generous thing to do with your time after spending the day tackling projects like this.

The pic showing the two shafts im assuming the top is the talon and bottom is wagon? So its the wagon shaft that is pretty long
I wonder where a colt turbo c53a shaft would fall in this whole faster rack business?

Keane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:29 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Really awesome stuff. 1, i love the extra lengths you go in your build. And 2, thanks for sharing that is generous thing to do with your time after spending the day tackling projects like this.

The pic showing the two shafts im assuming the top is the talon and bottom is wagon? So its the wagon shaft that is pretty long
I wonder where a colt turbo c53a shaft would fall in this whole faster rack business?
thanks. yeah the wagon has the longer shaft. in the photo the top one is from the talon. I started to cut it in the lathe then took it out to take the photo. I tried to find a bolt in rack using rock auto. they are pretty good with pictures and listing data. thats what led me to get my hands on the talon rack with 2.75 ratio. the summit is 3.1. unfortunately the rock auto data is not all that good. they currently list the talon turbos at 3.0 ratio. but it may just be there are no turbo cores left so the 3.0 may actually be what you recieve if you order one. not sure. but if I remember when i was searching last year both turbo and non turbo are were listed at 2.75.

got the ABS removed. shaved 14lbs taking out pump and excess lines. heavy pump. good bit more than the one removed from evo 1. did it different this time. I think it results in a cleaner install. when I did the evo I removed all the lines then picked the ones which could be used to get good routing. on the summit I left the lines on car and found where the lines cross for needed connections. this results in the right front caliper, and fr master lines being longer than needed. as the union is installed on passenger side. this job took around five hours.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:58 pm 
CSM Junkie

got my pulley mods all done.
2g alloy PS pump. plasma cut pulleys. 3 rib belt.
skunk titanium gears. lightest out. about 7oz. lighter than stock per gear.
GM alternator. stable voltage. about 40% less rotating mass.
cut a/c bracket. adjuster converted to pusher with plastic pulley. shaves 3.5lbs.
fluidampr. cause it smokes a stock dampr.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:21 pm 
CSM Junkie

front limited slip installed. bell housing welded up. LSD swapped in without drama. pretty excited about that. I think a front LSD is far better path than welding center diff. welded center makes car drive like crap. plus it doesnt stop a front wheel from spinning like crazy. making car 2.5 wheel drive.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:44 pm 
CSM Junkie

Just getting better everyday. So sweet, nice work

Keane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

wont be long now. such a pretty sight
evo 1-3 jack shaft. shaves about 1.3lbs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:25 am 
CSM Junkie

damn, its getting exciting now. what ratio is your lsd diff? ever find that 3.54 setup? ive been driving around for a while now on the 3.3. and i can tell it would be great to have lower gears. of course its still n/a and pretty anemic. also what turbo will you be starting with? the 14b stock from the rvr?

Keane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:11 pm 
CSM Junkie

yeah, the engine is stock RVR but from sports gear. so it has down firing 13T turbo. (same flow as 14b). ratio will remain 3.3 while I am setting car up. considering switching to 17in wheels and the 3.54 down the road..

wire harness conversion is far more involved than I thought it would be. have good 10-12 hours so far and I feel its halfway done. I have the TB , coils, and power transistor wired. still have half a dozen wires at ECU that need locations switched. then the 2.4 has no knock sensor or resistor pack on the injectors. so that wiring needs to be done as well. chipping away at it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1114 Next