4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:31 am 
CSM Junkie

searched for about five weeks looking for a good candidate. finally spent the last thirty hours driving up to Ga. to pick up my new project car. I have been dying to do an A/T turbo project for about five years now. super exited about this purchase. car is in fine shape, original body, no rust, and very few dings. nice interior with the usual issues of a 21 year old car. cant wait to get started on this car. here are some pics they sent me. I will post some new pics as its cleaned and detailed. if you would like a preview of the kind of build it will receive you can read about my last build on my evo 1 here:
http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-sh ... tweak.html
the readers digest rundown plans on the build so far:
RVR trans drop in but with two critical changes, front LSD and 3.54 final drive. I think the front LSD would be more important than the rear LSD. hard TQ spikes will be lifting the front end and transferring weight to the rear. from previous AWD light weight cars the RF is always first to break loose. picked up a factory torsion LSD off ebay shortly after buying the RVR trans. it was about ~325. eventually would like to get LSD in the rear as well but want to see how it reacts without one. next change is finding a n/a auto trans with the 3.54 r/p gears. I want this car to be stupid quick to 100, with a 1/4 mile minimum of 11.5 at 120. no one in USA has done this that I am aware of but there is a fella in aus. that has used both 3.54 and 3.9 setups in his AWD a/t builds. I have driven a few a/t cars over the years and the gears just feel toooo long. this change alone should add tremendous punch to the fun per dollar ratio.
Engine will most likely be a duplicate of the evo1 build with smaller cams and smaller turbo. the power band in that car hits stupid hard stupid quick. I was actually planning a/t conversion for the car at one point. the power band is near perfect for a/t. mahle 2.3, evo 8 b/shafts, k1 crank, FP2 cams, ported evo 3 intake, efr6758. goal = 400whp through the a/t with fast enough spool for stock converter use.
ECU is undecided. most likley transfer the ecmlink over from evo 1. but fuel system will be similar to the evo 1. evo9 fuel pump driving 750ish injectors primary. and single 1600ish ethanol injector firing at mirror duty under boost. on the evo 1 I have a two injector rail with factory regulator. this time I am going to try an intake pump with return-less fuel system setup driving the single injector. this will be simpler/lighter to build than whats on the evo1.
Suspension setup plans so far. KYB AGX shocks with custom small diameter spring in front, and air springs in rear. the rear is ideally setup to use an airbag. goal is to lower car 1.5 inch in front and 2.0 rear with better handling and no loss of driver comfort. an integral part of this step is epoxy foaming the framework. the stiffer the frame is the better a car will ride all around. foaming typically adds 40% stiffness to the chassis. after foaming the evo1 I dont think I could ever build another car without it. stiffer frame forces the suspension to absorb energy. if the frame absorbs energy that energy is felt by the passengers. I want to start here first but the interior has to be bare to do so. I am reluctant to tear interior apart without having a local upull yard with one of these cars in stock.
Exhaust system will have stainless downpipe with stainless full size muffler in cat position. second half of exhaust will be aluminum with full size muffler before gas tank with side exit exhaust.
weight savings to include, small battery, custom alloy/foam bumper supports, remove door bars (if there are any), half radiator/ half condensor, lightweight wilwood brakes, custom carbon/kevlar hood, and removal of anti-lock and cruise.

Last edited by lancerman on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:52 am 
CSM Junkie

Make sure you get either a 2g AWD Auto tranny and xfer case or a RVR Auto tranny and xfer case. You have a straight-up 2g under the hood (3 mounts on the tranny, one on the motor). 12's can happen pretty easily.

http://youtu.be/zDDCwdvBrQs

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=38094

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 35#p305335

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:45 am 
Some call me a god

Congrats. I'm interested to see where you take this!

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:00 am 
CSM Junkie

bought a couple of RVR trans for my blue evo 1 over a year back. but just couldnt bring myself to convert the car. it drives too dang nice on the 5 speed right now. so I already got the trans side of things covered. the goals for car are pretty simple.
lighten car as much as possible without ruining it. 400whp through the auto. got the turbo I am going to use. a couple months back bought ten efr6758 turbos for 335 each. quickly re-sold nine for 2100 profit. kept one turbo with both 64 and 85 hotsides to try. turbo weighs just 10.25lbs. spools as fast as a 16g and makes more power than a billet 20g.

Last edited by lancerman on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:23 am 
2nd Banana

That's weird to see a EFR without the boost solenoid attached, or the integrated BOV on the compressor housing. That's a hell of a score to find 10 of them for that cheap. I sell them at my work, so I know how expensive they are. This should be a really cool car. I'm eager to see it finished.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:36 am 
CSM Junkie

the EFR turbos were on ebay. it was an indy race team upgrading to the new 7163 turbos I had the chance to buy 20 but feared they might be hard to sell if other teams followed flooding the market. they are motorsport version with alloy bearing housing. I found a shop using 6758 on stock block 2.0 ecotec making 540/530 on e85. but most results in the 450whp range.

very first thing i did was head to the dump to weigh the car. with 1/8th tank it weighs 3230. kinda porky. but this is a pretty loaded vehicle. it has power options, antilock, cruise, and rear discs. plus there is a tow hitch. my goal will be under 2900 with a/c.

starting cleaning the car yesterday. also installed my spare set of 16s from my evo 1. the tires are worn 205/45/16. clearly the car needs a stock size tire to look right. and speedo also 5mph off at 30mph. I researched what rim/tire size i would use on this car. 17s would look most sporty and be safest in corners, but the lightest setup i could come up with was 31lbs not a huge savings from stock 37lb steelies. These 16s weigh 26lbs and were prolly 29/30 with new tread. I wanted to see what would happen to the steering as the stock 14s feel pretty unresponsive. disappointed the response didnt improve much with these low profile tires. it must be the steering geometry itself. guess engineers wanted small steering movements to do small things to keep a minivan safe. so I ordered some 195/65/15 new tires for some 15 inch te37s I scored cheap. the setup will weigh just over 27lbs. so that will be my first 40lbs shaved. and the best kind as its rotating mass. accelerates better, brakes better, better gas mileage, etc. I thought the car looked pretty sporty with the 14in stock hubcaps so these 15s will be a like a stock factory upgrade for 1994 vehicle. good enough for now. rims 600, tires 250.

Last edited by lancerman on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:15 pm 
2nd Banana

This again supports my theory that TE-37's look good on EVERYTHING.

I sell the EFR's on eBay as well, but they are on a strict MAP policy from Borg Warner, so I can't put them on sale or anything, and as a result they sit on my shelves for a LOOOOONG time. The 6758 is my best-selling unit though. If you know anyone looking for other EFR's, I am in a position to make pretty insane deals on them (not as insane as the deal you got, but insane nonetheless). I have every single one in stock, at least that I know of. Never heard of the 7163 model before...

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:55 pm 

Looks better already, great deal on the wheels and tires too! Glad it came with the rear discs too, one less thing to worry about swapping out. And who wants to see drums behind a set of Volks? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:45 pm 
Some call me a god

Wow, a little trim paint and then it's perfect. Nice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:47 pm 

Man I was just in Tampa for a week for the Outback bowl, would've been nice to come by to talk shop about the van. Only thing I can think of I need is stroker cam upgrade. Currently running 264/272, which is way to small for a 2.4 and 60-1 TD06H hybrid 26 psi. She starts getting choked off around 5500 rpms according to ecmlink.

Good luck with the build and hope to see you at the shootout.... I believe yours will make 5 or 6 boosted ones that I know of throughout the country.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:26 pm 
CSM Junkie

wow only five or six? I thought there would be more..

removed the two stickers today from the rear. the one on trunk came off pretty easy. the bumper one took forever. also removed the trailer hitch. in really rusty condition. there some light surface rust on a few things under the car but nothing scary. I am NOT looking forward to making an exhaust for this thing. at least not with the thing snaking around the gas tank and over the axle. why they didnt make the tank open enough to pass both the drive shaft and exhaust is beyond me. I do have a spare evo 1 tank. gonna take a hard look at making that fit. that will solve the fuel starvation problem as well.

first round of weight savings.
wheels and tires 40lbs (edit 30lbs for 16s)
tow hitch 31lbs
rubber mats , splash guards, book lodged under seat. 12 lbs.
spare tire, hanger, jack and tool kit 37lbs.
that gets me to ~3110. another 210+ to go. hard to say that out loud as there doesnt seem to be that many places to take weight off.

battery 24 lbs
antilock rings and dust shields 6 lbs
rear wiper 3 lbs
cruise control 5.5 lbs
steering wheel 5 lbs
dash speakers 5 lbs
front springs 3 lbs
cut rear springs 1.5 lbs
half radiator 11 lbs
stock bumper to subi bumper with xs intercooler. 15 lbs.
ABS pump/lines 14 lbs
minus another ~95, now ~3020

turbo conversion updated weight. lots of adding and subtracting when converting to turbo. but mostly adding weight. added intercooler pipes, turbo, DOHC, LSD in trans etc. new weight after conversion = 3050
doubtful at this point it will get a whole lot lighter. the exhaust is pretty hefty so should be able to save around 20-25 there. but that goes back on with rest of turbo related stuff. oil cooler, secondary injection, gauges, etc.

Last edited by lancerman on Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:34 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
This again supports my theory that TE-37's look good on EVERYTHING.
I agree. my favorite all time wheel. i never tire seeing cars with them.
Quote:
Looks better already, great deal on the wheels and tires too! Glad it came with the rear discs too, one less thing to worry about swapping out. And who wants to see drums behind a set of Volks? :lol:
I am gonna be tempted to switch to drums. 16lbs lighter is more important to me.
Quote:
Wow, a little trim paint and then it's perfect. Nice
thanks , cant wait to do that step.
Quote:
Man I was just in Tampa for a week for the Outback bowl, would've been nice to come by to talk shop about the van.
everyone is welcome here. love to talk 4g63 to other enthusiasts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:06 pm 

Quote:
wow only five or six? I thought there would be more..

removed the two stickers today from the rear. the one on trunk came off pretty easy. the bumper one took forever. also removed the trailer hitch. in really rusty condition. there some light surface rust on a few things under the car but nothing scary. I am NOT looking forward to making an exhaust for this thing. at least not with the thing snaking around the gas tank and over the axle. why they didnt make the tank open enough to pass both the drive shaft and exhaust is beyond me. I do have a spare evo 1 tank. gonna take a hard look at making that fit. that will solve the fuel starvation problem as well.

first round of weight savings.
wheels and tires 40lbs
tow hitch 31lbs
rubber matts , splash guards, book lodged under seat. 12 lbs.
spare tire, hanger, jack and tool kit 37lbs.
that gets me to 3110. another 210 to go. hard to say that out loud as there doesnt seem to be that many places to take weight off. but there is.
Don't forget you can remove the bench seat when needed, its not exactly light.

I've already got drums on mine. I haven't experience any starvation with the awd factory tank yet. I'm running a Walbro 450 and FIC SP 1050cc high z injectors, 6 an fuel lab tank to rail kit. I did drill the hole a little bigger on the fuel tank hanger. At 26 psi I run 80% IDC max at 7k rpms on full E85.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:14 pm 

So the drum brakes on the rear are lighter? Hmm, never would have thought that. I'm sure most would trade you straight up in a heartbeat if you do decide to lose them. For 16 lbs I wouldn't bother though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:58 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Don't forget you can remove the bench seat when needed, its not exactly light.

I've already got drums on mine. I haven't experience any starvation with the awd factory tank yet. I'm running a Walbro 450 and FIC SP 1050cc high z injectors, 6 an fuel lab tank to rail kit. I did drill the hole a little bigger on the fuel tank hanger. At 26 psi I run 80% IDC max at 7k rpms on full E85.
dont want to remove bench seat just to be able to say its 70lbs lighter. I am glad my model has no headrests. so it should be a tad lighter than some of the others. last year i watched the upull yards in my area. four of the yards post pics of the cars placed daily. last year there were a handfull of these car showing up. I kept hoping an AWD model would pop up. now I am just hoping for an expo sport with nice seats. they are really nice seats if you havent seen them.

expo seats (not mine) but hoping to find some

The more I thumb around this car and drive it the more pleased I am. such a cool little van in such good overall shape.. and I had a revelation for the exhaust.. my goal is two full size quiet mufflers like I run on my evo 1. and I was originally miffed at how it snakes around the tank with no room to run pipes through center of tank. then today realized there are two spots before the tank for these big mufflers. so I will we running a side exit in front of rear wheel. pretty exited about this because it save a few extra pounds exhaust weight.

Last edited by lancerman on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.