4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1014 Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:20 pm 

I believe the mirage bumper cover fits as well. Can anyone confirm?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:54 am 
CSM Junkie

it should swap pretty good. I personally think impreza bumper is nicer looking and 1/3 the cost. (to JDM mirage) it also has FAR more room for intercoolers. kinda made for it actually. although I dont like it with center bar removed. the wrx version looks pretty good on mirage. but I still like the plain impreza version. I am struggling with install decision on my car. The bumper is technically 1" too wide. gonna be hard to make sides near fender fit nice. I am tempted to remove 1" from center of bumper and meld together. gonna mount intercooler today then decide.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:46 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Any details on where fender meets the bumper cover? There seems to be a mismatch there.

I was able to fit a 10" tall "race core" intercooler under my stock cover. But I can't go thicker than 3".

Not sure I need anything larger than that, unless I am looking for sub 10.0 passes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:22 pm 
CSM Junkie

I attempted do do my own intercooler test years ago. I collected various intercoolers of varies designs. I started by testing the flow resistance through the intercooler. I use a karman air meter and a powerful bounce house fan to push air through the coolers. thats all the testing I was able to do as I could never get the test car to run consistently well at the time. but I believe intercoolers that flow well through the core will spool the turbo up faster. and hold higher boost levels at high rpm. the best one was a hks R cooler for a supra. know to be a very good cooler. the next best flow wise was the large Ebay cooler 24 x12 x4 core. but it is known to have a pretty good temp rise during 1/4 mile pulls on anything near or higher than 600hp. the third best flow comes from the xs intercooler I use on my blue car and on this summit project. its from XS engineering and is made from a griffen core. the griffin cores are my favorite design as they have good flow through both the inside and outside. with a very high fin density on the inside. the cooling fins are also pretty stiff so the coolers stay looking nice through out the years. this core is 24 x 11 x 3. TTP engineering used this core on the first evo 8 that clicked off 10.90 at 130mph on a stock evo 8 turbo! I dont have any cooling data on it but on my blue car every turbo i have used spools fast!. it easily supports 500whp. maybe more. this picture pack shows the flow testing i did.
http://s51.photobucket.com/user/lancerm ... ers?sort=4

Last edited by lancerman on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:34 pm 
CSM Junkie

got the intercooler mounted today. I am very happy with how this intercooler and bumper fits. the intercooler supports the top of bumper perfectly. so i only need to make nice attach points near the fenders which will be the next project. There is 3.5 inches between the I/C and cond core. so I can move the cond fan out of engine compartment. I am a little worried its going to melt being so close to turbo. plus it makes serving turbo much easier.

Last edited by lancerman on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:02 am 

Sorry, I'm a little confused about the rear spring setup you mentioned. You just said FWD springs. I'm assuming FWD means "Front Wheel Drive" but what are they off of specifically? Thanks!

Bumper is looking good!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:19 pm 

A FWD wagon I believe. I also think they're different between the 1.8 and 2.4 wagons.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:17 am 

Seven passenger AWD Expos/Vistas have the stiffest OEM springs we can get (I am using one, with 1.25 coil cut). I tried buying generic 5" OD (x8" tall) springs from RWD V8 application, which are available in ANY length and ANY stiffness, but due to thicker material, they are too small on the ID and do not fit our vans without some modifications.

Looks like a good I/C solution! BTW, it sucks seeing your palm trees, when it is 1*F here and -5*F expected this weekend :(

01 Isuzu VehiCHROSS (winter beater) 17.0@80
80 Triumph TR7 (4G63 swap project)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:47 pm 

Yeah, my AWD front springs are much larger in diameter. I have 7 passenger rear springs but they are too stiff and it's only going to get worse if I cut them so looking for another solution. Can anyone confirm what springs to get? Does anyone have any 5 passenger rear springs lying around?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:49 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Sorry, I'm a little confused about the rear spring setup you mentioned. You just said FWD springs. I'm assuming FWD means "Front Wheel Drive" but what are they off of specifically? Thanks!

Bumper is looking good!
yes FWD springs from these cars. 4dr car. not the 5 dr. I have pictures in this thread comparing the uncut length of stock AWD to stock FWD. FWD is about 6/10ths of inch shorter free length. I cut 3/4 coil off for use on AWD car. my friend cut 1 coil off his fwd car. both lowered about an inch. rides very well. I am using stock replacement KYB shock in rear. the modified bilstein did not work. was an inch too short and self destructed in a few days use.

I personally wouldnt try the 5 dr stiffer springs. the rear swing arm design is not that great as far as car riding smooth goes. the added spring pressure is needed on the 5dr as that car not only weighs 300lbs more there is room for 300lbs more people in it. so springs needed to handle that extra 600lbs. be great for autocross car. but my car is a street car and it drives utterly fantastic with what I have done so far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:04 pm 

And you're utilizing 2006 Acura RSX springs in the front correct? And these lowered the car a little if I am understanding your previous posts. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you!

As an update, I am currently working on getting all of my info over to Ground Control and Fortune Auto to see if they can provide a complete setup for our cars that would be an all in one solution. I will most likely post a new thread gauging interest to see if anyone is would like to get in on a setup and hopefully they can give us a little better pricing. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:14 pm 
CSM Junkie

yes integra springs lowered the car about 3/4 inch up front on the 1g version bilstein struts.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:46 pm 

I am using Tien AWD DSM Lowering Springs up front and FWD Van Springs in the rear. You can get Rear fwd Van Springs on Ebay right now for around 100. I also have access to a 7 passenger fwd van rear springs if that may help. They are in my local junk yard and the car will be crushed in the near future.
I am running my setup cause my tires stick out a bit and when the car squats in the rear it tire rubs with the old AWD Van Cut rear Springs. I feel like the fwd van rear springs are softer than the rear awd van springs but it might be cause the awd were cut. I am yet to get someone out with me to test the new spring setup to see what it does.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:57 pm 
CSM Junkie

so little update. been struggling to get my built motor finished. want to make some changes to some parts like nitride the crank and use seal power rings. so the build has been on hold. all along I thought it would be more fun to put a stock engine in car and mod part by part. start with stock 13 and take it to track. then with 14b, 16g, 18g, 19c, 20g, then some billet bolt ons. then finally the EFR.

SOOO now that look like the new game plan. just picked up this stupid clean RVR engine with down firing turbo. has partial wire harness and down pipe. so it will be stupid easy to do turbo conversion with this drop in setup. weld down pipe to stock exhaust, pipe the intercooler, and splice some wires and wala I am in business. couldn't pass on this engine. look at those 18 year old heat shields!. this sucker likely has 10-20k miles on it if not less.

Last edited by lancerman on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:01 pm 

Where did you pick up the rvr? I been trying to find a contact that was reasonable price.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1014 Next