4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Lifting my 92 Vista...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:55 am 

Anyone done this yet? I'm looking to put some small rugged tires a small lift and a sturdy roof rack on my 92. Anyone done any of the above or seen something they could link me to? Going to look at some old mail jeep tires this weekend and adding some rubber spring lifts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:25 am 
Some call me a god

I lifted my laser with nylon spacers. We cut them to go between the strut hat and tower. I only went 1.5 inches, due to axle bind. Keep that in mind. You don't want to go too high...

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:52 pm 

Did you have to change the top hat hardware? I feel like the front end is either sagging or the front shocks were replaced with fwd ones because it's awfully low.

Is there anyway to keep the axles from binding? A proper way to actually lift it besides spacers? I really want to make like a mini rally or overlander style van. Since I named it M.O.E. Mini Overland Expo that is!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:16 pm 
Some call me a god

No one made lift parts for my car. That's why i did the lift spacers. Just added longer bolts to hold it all together. As for axle bind, I was lucky enough to find someone who had lifted DSM's to guide me. He said only got 1.5 inches, or the axles would bind (you could do more, but the axles would have to be cut and modified). I have no idea about for your Van. I'd be willing to bet you can't get crazy high, unless your lowering the engine and trans to keep the axle geometry correct, your not going to be able to do anything crazy. Even if you did that, the engine/trans would be lower than the frame rails, so your not accomplishing anything.

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:13 pm 
CSM Junkie

Yeah by lifting the car with strut spacers you are forcing the wheel and hub downward and at the same time the axle is going down too at a steeper and steeper angle. The engine and trans are fixed so the other end of the axle stays at the same height. As the angle gets steeper and steeper the length of the axle needs to get longer, but obviuosly cant. think about the hypotenuse of a triangle. The only way you could get more than a tiny bit of lift is to literally drop the engine and trans by the same amount you want to lift the car so the axle can remain flatter. Basicqlly not possibly unless you are real determined and are a good welder fabricator. It just isnt the same suspension system like a truck or something.

if you really want to explore more look at what the subaru loyale guys are doing to lift thier wagons

Keane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:58 pm 

Thank you both for the input! I'm only looking to go maybe 3"s total. Just enough for a slightly larger tire with some aggressive tread.

I was actually checking out the Loyale and wagon guys last night and they are doing exactly what I want. I'm going to try some spring spacers first to see where that puts me. Then look for some taller springs once I get the height I'm after. Thanks again for the input! There surely isn't much in the way of info on my little van...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:31 pm 

Hopefully these will work right out of the box on my car. If not I'm pretty sure a bit of fab work will. I was going to try the 2x2" square tube Subaru lift but then I saw these and figured they would be a bit better!
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... ,3389.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:24 pm 

I like your thinking, at one point I had thought about raising mine and making it look like a rally or baja vehicle. Get the front brush bar off a rvr and some knobby tires. But in the end it's always more money to raise one properly then lower it. I've seen pictures of Nates and it is raised pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:43 pm 

Sadly only one pic is still visible. Anyway, I will see how high I can get my van. I'm mostly trying to correct the front end sag. As it scrapes the front bumper on everything and the tires bounce in the wheel wells. So once the spring lifts go in I will hopefully be able to drive it a bit harder. May even get some BFG T/A tires in 27" and drive M.O.E. off road a bit....

Last edited by AWDColtVista-1992 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:46 pm 

Quote:
What is Nate's username? I'm curious to see what he has done now!
natedog.. he posted in this thread

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:07 pm 

Plus I have a good buddy who is a master welder. Going to be doing front and rear brush guards with skid plates then cutting the rust out of the sides and making some rock sliders to fit in the cut outs. Plus a proper roof rack for the off road look to make a Mini Overland Expo aka M.O.E!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:32 pm 
CSM Junkie

Well if you truly get there im sure it will be awesome

Keane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:46 pm 

I had looked up taller stock Mitsubishi springs and struts that would bolt up from other cars when I was thinking about doing what you are talking about. I've misplaced the list of what I came up with. When I find it I'll post it up. If my memory is right I believe the two front would be from a different vehicle with struts while the back was going to be the 7 passenger expo springs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:37 pm 
Some call me a god

Thats only 1.5 inches, and the biggest tire i could get...

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:06 pm 

Thanks Nate! If you can find that list or recall what front setup is needed that would be much appreciated. Sadly not enough vans were imported to have a real following or much aftermarket support. If people only knew back then how much fun and capable these little cars are! I'm going to give the adjustable spring perches a shot this weekend hopefully. They fit 5 and 5 1/2" springs and lift up to 2 7/8" so fingers crossed! I will update once I find the time to try the install.

Will the 7 passenger front springs not lift up a 5 passenger like the rears? The main problem with my van is the front is sagging bad or the front struts were replaced with fwd ones and they sit about 2-3" lower. I just want it to have a bit more clearance and not have the tires hit the wheel wells or front bumper scrape on driveways or speed bumps! Eventually I want to make it look like a small outland vehicle...complete with brushgaurds, skid plates and roof rack with spare on top, pulling a small trailer for a motorcycle or two. Basically a bad ass mini support van for trips to motorcycle shows and rides.