4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:42 am 
Restricted Newbie

I was a motorcycle only commuter but a friend loaned me a car because I was in a crippling accident 9/2013. Inspection time is coming in January and the car won't be street legal any more. I don't know about cars I just know this one is great but it needs some help. The owners don't want to deal with it any more but if I can find the money (not working since the accident) I'd like to keep it going. I live in a condo and there's no place to work on it even if I knew what to do so I need to find a good mechanic that knows these cars. It's that or they'll junk it because I can't keep it here if it's not legal/running.

Please help me find a way to keep this car out of the junk yard.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:55 pm 
Some call me a god

I wouldn't be able to help you without anywhere to work on it. I don't want to seem like a douche but if you can't get it fixed in time and don't want it to go to scrap I would be willing to pick it up possibly. What is or what you think is wrong with it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:37 am 
Restricted Newbie

All I can tell you is the check engine light is on. I wish I knew about cars but I haven't been under a hood since I did a last tune up on my '76 Dodge Aspen Wagon. I haven't had a car since about 1983.

It was well taken care of by the original owner. When it got here in '01 it was like new but their daughter didn't know where to take it for service/repairs. A series of mechanics, some not very good, have worked on it and it's been it an accident. That's all the history of the car that I know of.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:05 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

some things that are fairly easy and would be ok to do because there is no mess involved
the spark plugs, sparkplug wires,air filter replacement,
check the fuses too.feel the uper and lower radiator hoses for weak spots or leaks get replaced Iif bad
Also a oil change is probably due.$25 at the local lube shop
Since it might be hard for you to crawl under because of the injury

1989 PLYMOTH COLT GT 12v - SOLD
1994 DIAMANTE - SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:31 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks mirage760 but I'm still doing PT to get my left hand working again so, bad as the leg is, handling tools/parts is still the bigger problem for me. Also I didn't really have much warning cause the owners didn't tell me they were done with the car until last month. If I was able, I could spend the next year (and lots of money I don't have) trying to figure out what's wrong and fix it so it could pass inspection but that's just not realistic.

Late last summer the owner's mechanic went over it and made sure it was road-worthy but then he retired to SC back in September so I'm trying to find some one that will actually take care of this right. When I talk to anybody else about this car they just tell me to cut my losses but I know they don't understand what great cars these are. That's why I was so happy to find this place. I figured if anyone knew where to get some real help it would be you guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:16 am 
Restricted Newbie

Well, now the owners are talking about selling the car. I can't really tell them not to, it's theirs and they did me a big favour just letting me drive it.

I'll keep checking here just in case someone can suggest a mechanic before they take the car away.

Which ever way it goes - thanks guys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:17 am 
Restricted Newbie

bump