4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: RVR auto trans
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:51 pm 

As you may know, I have a 92 summit wagon auto 4g63t swapped. I have had it done for awhile now and have had issues with the trans.(limp mode)
I tried everything I know outside of rebuilding my stock w4a32 trans (not an option since it is the weaker trans).
I was looking for a 2g auto awd trans to replace mine with(the wagon uses mounts on the front and back of the trans like a 2g) when I came across a good deal on a mitsu RVR awd auto trans. I paid 295 shipped, it came with the torque converter and t-case.
I installed it used the kigley wiring mod and it shifts great.

So here is what I did:

Bought an RVR trans (its from the 94-97 RVR). source http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/transmiss ... ansmission
Used the 6 bolt/4 bolt flex plate. the awd dsm pilot bearing.
I used the RVR torque converter and t-case.
Bought a starter from Autozone part number MD172860. I think it was for a Hyundai (the stock starter sets too high up and does not engage the ring gear on the converter).
I had to cut the plate between the engine and trans for the starter.
Followed the instructions on Kigley's website and hard wired the trans for manual shifts and full line pressure. (WOW :lol: )

This set up works well, I just wish I could have had it done for the shoot-out. But, I am taking it to MOD this September.

I had heard that there was a difference in the gear ratio between the jdm RVR and the US wagons. I had no way to verify, so I took a gamble. It paid off, they are the same.(I used the RVR transfer case).

I talked to Kigley at the shoot-out extensively about the rvr trans and my issue. He doesn't have a lot of experience with them. I asked him about the 2g trans/1g motor adapter kits he sells. Apparently the 2g trans has to be spaced away from the 1g motor or the converter will destroy the pump the first time you start the car. I DID NOT have to have that spacer kit for the rvr trans. The RVR trans looks just like the 2g trans but apparently dimensionally different, in our favor.

I am now on an Australian forum for the RVR and am trying to lacate an LSD for my rear diff (the us versions did not come with lsd).
I picked up an auto shifter from a 2001 Eclipse V6( the triptronic slap style shifter), I am going to figure out how to wire that into my wagon. I think that will be fun using a slap shift!!

If any of you are thinking about using the RVR trans, get in touch with me and I will walk you through it.

93 Talon TSI AWD (son's car)
04 Liberty DD

Post subject: Re: RVR auto trans
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:30 pm 

im definitely interested in the lsd for our vans, keep us updated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:30 pm 
CSM Expert

I think my roommate is sitting on an RVR trans, has been forever. He'd probably let it go for a couple hundred, if that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:40 am 
CSM Junkie

Did it come with the xfer case, starter and TC/Flex plate?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:07 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

commenting for easy access

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION