4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:24 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hey guys,

I'm brand new here to the forums but I've been sifting through info here for awhile now.

Originally I'm a Nissan/Zcar guy. I still have my first love, a '76 280z. I ran a personal best of 11.2 with the car before I decided to make the switch from the L28 motor to a 2jz, which I am still in the process of. I also own a '92 Kensington Grey GVR4 with a solid 400hp HX35 setup on it. In the meantime I am in my early 30's, have child number 2 on the way and love my outdoor activities like camping and road trips. So I'm pretty interested in building a expo/vista/summit wagon.

Also in the stable I have a nearly bone stock '91 AWD Talon.

I'd like to get some detailed, condensed information on exactly what model wagon I should be after. I have read that the 93+ models had more of a mix of 2g mounts/transmissions whereas the 91-92 models were more similar to a 1G. I'm not sure I've got all the right info.

Basically, I'm willing to drive the Talon around until I find the perfect wagon and then I'd like to swap all the guts over to the wagon. So what year and trim wagon do I want? My Talon is a 5 speed and I want the wagon to be as well. Do I need to start with a awd/manual wagon or can either or both be swapped? Also in regards to wiring/harness issues, which is the best year wagon to make work with 1G stuff?

My hunch would be to try and find a '92 manual awd wagon?

Perhaps this info is condensed somewhere into an archive and i just havent found it yet?

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:04 am 

The 92 summit, colt vista and expo's are kinda like the 90 dsm's. For some reason they made them one year with the 6 bolt 4g64 and then went to a different engine in 93. I'd say if you can find any awd/manual one you better jump on it, they are kinda rare. It's not impossible to swap a manual (I did it but mine is fwd) but you need the donor parts.

There are only a few swaps out there and it seems every owner took a different route on the wiring. I still think it would be easier to adapt the 1g engine wiring harness but that's just me.

I'm a Z car guy too at heart. I have owned 2 na's, a 90 and a 91, and 2 TT's, a 90 and a 91. My 90 TT had around 450hp and it was a blast to drive. I sold it and picked up a 95 GS-T and have been a Mitsu guy ever since. I remember paying like $1200 for a set of 550cc injectors for the Z back in the day and they were around $250 for the DSM. That was enough to make me see the light. :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:33 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks for the response. I know they arent easy to come by so I guess I can't bee too picky. I'm on the hunt . . .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:26 am 

I have a 92 summit wagon, and i have noticed differnces in the 92 and the 93+. Mine is an auto awd and i want to keep it that way. i have been into DSMs for 15 years now and frankly I am tired of dealing with clutches, syncros, weak DSM manual trannys.

I agree that the manual awd wagons are rare and if you find one buy it! If you absolutely have to go with manual, you can do the auto/manual conversion. but the parts are hard to find as well.

I took the engine from my 92 awd talon and used it in my wagon. Since my wagon is a 92 it has different mounts than the 93+ as stated earlier in this thread ( mine has two mounts on the engine and two mounts on the trans). My engine bolted directly to the trans as did the flex plate and torque converter.

If you want to change the trans to a stronger DSM trans, i think you would have to use one from a 2G as it has the rear mount needed for the wagon. Or you can make a mount, i thought i saw somewhere on this forum that someone was making a mount to sell but not sure on that.

The rear differential is different also. The DSM axels spline into the diff and bolt to the hub. The wagon is pretty much opposite. I do not think they made( at least i have not seen) an LSD wagon diff. There are some write ups about rear diff possibilities here too. I have not gotten to the point of needing a stronger diff as of yet but I have a few parts lying around and am going to experiment.

If you find an auto and want to keep it auto, keep in mind that the DSM wiring harness for the trans changed in 93. The plugs are different. I sourced a 91 auto awd harness and it plugs directly into my summit awd trans which solved a wiring woe i was reluctant to tackle.

All in all the 4g63 swap into the wagon seamed to be easier than in my 92 hatch.

Good luck with your search!!

93 Talon TSI AWD (son's car)
04 Liberty DD