4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 810 Next
 Post subject: Re: Vista time!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:46 am 

that looks really good. i was just looking at mine the other day seeing if i could get a fmic in there with out cutting the bumper.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:18 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Isn't that FMIC cute! ;). I decided to go for max performance, so I am fitting a 1g "race core". Unfortunately, that meant that AC had to go :(.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:07 pm 
CSM Junkie

Yeah you could fit a wayyyy bigger intercooler in there if the inlet and outlet were both on the pass side. But i dont want to cut the hole in the bumper bigger so i dont think there would be any point. As is only half of the cooler is visible. I bought this off a local racer for 100 bucks, he made 390 whp through it on his honda before he went air/water It is all 2.5 inch piping which is convenient, same size as my exhaust.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:18 pm 

hey man when you swapped in the 4g63 did the motor mounts match up or do you have to use custom mounts?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:29 pm 

You have to transfer Summit mounts on to the 4g63/tranny. Timing belt side mount need some grinding to clear 6-bolt water pump, but that is pretty simple.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:29 pm 
CSM Junkie

Haha i had no clue the stock timing mount could be used, i didnt even try! I modified a 1g dsm mount to work. It looks good, youd never know it was modded. It only took 20 minutes or so to do. I only have another 20 hours tops till shes up and running, I have been majorly sidetracked i have stripped and parted a 90 tsi and pulled the motor from my 11 sec awd hatch yesterday (melted piston) Now stuff is going to happen.

I decided to keep it 14b for now
centerforce stolen from the race car
stock resurfaced flywheel
Trans is all stock but evo3 shift forks
stock million kms motor haha

Side note- Fidanza flywheels are junk!!!! They just dont have enough metal on them to handle abuse. The friction disc is hot spotted to hell, it is no good, but the pp looks good and so does the disc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:47 pm 
CSM Junkie

Its running now. Havent test driven it yet, It is drivable now. Runs great. I still need to wire up the factory temp guage and tach. I started with the temp guage. I spent like two hours trying to figure out where the goddamn wire is for this!!!! What the hell is up with the wiring in this van? I cant figure it out for the life of me!!! I removed the cluster and traced the temp input wire, its yellow with red stripe. There is a yellow with red stripe there, but no contenuity. Its like the temp guage is somehow tied into something else. It would be all to easy to hack and splice in a new wire from the cluster to the sensor wire, but i would prefer to do it properly if i can.

Ill also try to put a dsm tach board into the van cluster.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:58 am 
CSM Junkie

when wiring in the temp gauge, dont bother removing the cluster... just connect the wires from the summits wiring harness near the ECU into the dsm's engine harness body/cluster harness output connector... thats what i did, never even removed the cluster...

mine was a 92 wagon awd tho... should be similar tho

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:57 am 
CSM Junkie

I verified 100 percent the temp input wire on the cluster then tested contenuity to every wire by the ecu, none of them connected. Its as if there is a break in the line somewhere, It looks as if there should be another body connector somewhere, but i cant find it. There are usually 20-30 wires to choose from. I have 2 pigtails on the chassis side and only about 5 or 6 wires unassigned. Usually when im done i have 20 or 30 wires left on the chassis side unused. There should be diagnosis wires in there too but i cant find those either. I am sure there should be another pigtail on the chassis side with 20 more wires in it but i cant find it so I spliced in a new wire for the temp from the back of cluster to the talon engine harness by the ecu, and i spliced in a new wire for the tach, straight from the coilpack to the back of cluster. The stock tach sort of works. It reads about 50 percent of what it should. I will study a dsm tach and attempt a resistor swap, if that doesnt work, i will try to install a dsm tach in the colt cluster.

I wish the yard that had 3 vans in it last year didnt crush them all, i could have gone out there to study the wiring.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:03 pm 
CSM Junkie

I installed two 12 inch fans, ziptied em to the rad (which is still the stock one) I used the stock wiring for these it they work fine. This was the only part that was easy. The a.c now works too and the second fan turns on with it. So everything works!

I tucked the rest of the wires up and ziptied them out of the way, put the interior back together and went for a trip around the block. Drivability is excellent It drives like stock. I didnt get into it at all because it has a horrible rattle as soon as you get up around 3000 rpm. So Now i have to figure out what the hell is causing that. I'm guessing its my intercooler piping .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:22 am 
CSM Junkie

the temp gauge doesnt use a input from the ecu... it comes from the 1 wire sensor on the thermostat housing... It bypasses the ECU totally. (if its like a 1G anyways).. that would explain why u didnt find a wire with continuity to the wires for the temp gauge.. techically u could run a wire from the 1 wire temp sensor to the gauge and it should work...

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:56 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
the temp gauge doesnt use a input from the ecu... it comes from the 1 wire sensor on the thermostat housing... It bypasses the ECU totally. (if its like a 1G anyways).. that would explain why u didnt find a wire with continuity to the wires for the temp gauge.. techically u could run a wire from the 1 wire temp sensor to the gauge and it should work...

I know which wire it is on the engine harness its on the big plug. Its the chassis side i was testing. I was trying to find the wire that goes from the cluster to the ecu location, to connect to the wire on the big plug.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:56 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:

I know which wire it is on the engine harness its on the big plug. Its the chassis side i was testing. I was trying to find the wire that goes from the cluster to the ecu location, to connect to the wire on the big plug.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:21 am 

So, which ECU/harness did you end up using? Any details on the wiring?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

I used a 91 talon engine/wiring ecu/etc. I dont remember what wire went where but i can find out for you if you want sometime. I dont really think i wired it "properly" I might have bypassed a relay. I know what wires do what on the talon engine harness i just had to find a ignition positive, and fuel pump feed. Which i found pretty much instantly. They were both in the same plug too. For tach i installed a tach from a 91 talon tsi into the van cluster, and for the tach wire i spliced the cluster tach imput, and ran a wire straight out the firewall and spliced straight into the tach wire on the coilpack. Temp guage is spliced into the cluster and other side is on the talon engine plug by ecu. For air conditioning i just turned on air and tested wires for b+ then tested for contenuity for the wire on the mag clutch. This was definately not the correct way to hook it up, it bypasses the ecu this way so it doesnt have the ability to idle up and disable a.c under high load. It also likely bypasses a relay this way too, so i wouldnt look to me for wiring tips.

Thinking back, my 90 colt came factory with a tach cluster, what i dont get is why it worked with the tsi engine. The colt had a distributor just like the one on my van. They must have used the same cluster for turbo (distributorless) cars as they did for non turbo, and changed the output signal from the distributor to match up.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 810 Next