4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
 Post subject: Re: Vista time!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:40 am 
CSM Junkie

This van looks great man, I like the color too. It's such a crazy sleeeper and the intercooler and pipping came out really good. Great work man :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

How the motor looks today. It was a lot tidier before i recently rewired everything cause of a corroded wire on the cam sensor. I replaced the whole engine harness with a better one just in case. The corroded cam sensor was on a horribly rusty car, as was the harness so i thought it would be good measure to swap it out cause it could have a lot more rotten wires therre. I will clean it up some other time. Cut off all the useless plugs, ziptie stuff out of the way, etc.

It is currently running a 20g at 8 psi. Its in winter tune haha. Im running regular fuel as well.
This summer i have a game plan. dsmlink and different wheels. I have a set of wheels from an 84 supra i will be running at the track with some 185 60 14's I predict this will take at least a half a second off my et. The much smaller diameter will hurt traction ( i wont notice) But will help out a little with my gearing. but mostly those 17's are heavy! they are about 40+ pounds a wheel, and the supras are low 30's. I cant break it all down but i know the supra rims are 14 lbs. Plus it looks way too good with the 17's on it. When i hit the track it needs to look as gay as it can

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:59 pm 
CSM Junkie

I cant believe how many van swaps are going on right now! It makes sense though. Although the vans will never be as fast as a the lighter awd colt swaps, these are a beautiful option for the guys with kids. Its just plain easy, fun to drive around town, easy to get in and out of, easy to see out of too. I pretty much never drive my 90 anymore just because of this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:35 pm 

you got a sub in that van?, i got mine because it was super cheap, how did you get that tach to work, with the tacho interface thingy?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:40 pm 
CSM Junkie

If you use a 90-91 harness it will already have the tach adaptor, as mine did. My stock tach read half of what it should first time i installed it. This time I adjusted the tach by turning the knob on the circuit board to get it to work properly. I have an alpine head unit alpine amp for my high end 2 5 inchers in the stock locations in the doors two small tweeters by the headrests two 4x7? i think in the stock locations in the rear a jl 12 in a ported box run off an older phoenix gold amp. The bass is decent but nothing crazy at all, its a large cabin to have just one 12 in a small box. But my high end is awesome. The sub box is pretty small to not take up much space so my bike still fits easily in the back and its easily removable for those trips to the track. I modified my back seat and cut down a ratchet strap to hold the box in place and allow easy removal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:50 am 

ok I'm using a 91 eclipse harness so ill be fine, I'm planning on doing something similar for my vans sound system. i can get my hands on a non cruise expo cable if your interested.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:07 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
Well im sure glad micah and dan did not listen to me. I told them the stock tach doesnt work. They said it did and i have never been happy with the dsm tach in the cluster, just cause it doesnt look quite right. Thanks to them i dug through my hoarding and found my stock van tach, hotwired it up so i would be able to watch that and the dsm tach at the same .
Really? I actualy like the DSM tach in there (but I blacked out the "boost scale" from it). However, there is also a practical reason to convert to a DSM tach, it is 9000 vs van's 8000 rpm. If you have a 2.0 engine you want to go above 8k, even with a 14b ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:46 am 
CSM Junkie

What would i do with a non cruise cable?
I blacked out my dsm tach as well. Only thing i dont like is its black and the rest of my instruments are dark gray.

My power on all my setups falls off after 6k. Im assuming you have aftermarket cams, intake? I dont see me ever doing that. Im sure you must know a few things to make that kind of 14b power though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:02 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

With stock cams and intake, you wouldn't want to go above 8k, with exception of 1st gear. That should be wound as high as your valve train will allow you ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:39 pm 

you'd delete your cruise control

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:30 pm 
CSM Junkie

My cruise works good though. I use it all the time and it only weighs like 2 pounds so i have no reason to delete it. I have a full load in my van and everything works I even have remote start i could probaby drop 200 lbs by removing every luxury item but then i would never drive it. I already have a 90 colt with awd 4g63t and no options that i never drive haha. But thanks for the offer anyways. i know some other guys replaced their steering wheels even though it caused loss of cruise control just because they hated the stock wheel so much. I dont understand this but i guess im just lucky ive never been spoiled with expensive aftermarket wheels. I know some guys swear by the 500 dollar nardi wheels and such.

The definition of what is a street car varies from person to person. some guys figure a funny car with signal lights and a licence plate qualify as a street car. I already did the bare bones crazy light colt 11.8 at 123 mph I was at the point where i needed a cage to go faster. Then i decided i would rather have an 11 second full load van. Its just that since i built it i have driven it almost every day so i havent really had the desire to blow it up. But next race season i will see if i can get a 12.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:29 pm 

i understand, my van came without cruise so i was happy about that, it was just an offer, theres a 7 passenger awd expo in my local yard with most parts intact, i was able to get what i needed and don't mind making a trip down there to help out a fellow van owner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:16 pm 
CSM Junkie

I had these old supra wheels so i figured i would see if they would fit. They look kinda sily but they are just over 14 lbs a wheel and free cause i already had them so what the heck
Couldnt copy grndsm exactly, gotta be original, really didnt want to cut my bumper originally but couldnt resist. Pretty subtle you cant even tell and it wont really make any difference either but it was fun to do.
Now i need to lower the front and hope that when i do the front camber will match the rear and the tires dont rub. I want to buy some nice adjustables like grndsm but i am too cheap so il just hack my spings and if that doesnt work out then il have to buy new springs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:24 pm 
CSM Junkie

I really like my van at its stock height, it makes it easy to work on. But lowering it should make a really big difference in the top end in the 1/4 and its a free mod. I already cut the rear springs btw.

The old 17 inch wheels are 44ish lbs the new 14s are 34ish i weighed them with a fishscale a year ago cant remember exact numbers but 40 plus pounds of rotational mass is huge. Plus the smaller diameter tires should help out a lot too by lowering the gearing. I predict this mod alone is good for 1/2 second off my 1/4 mile. These are probably the only mods i will do this year. If i get a chance i will take it to the track this year. I have to take my other colt to the track first, so well see if this even makes it out. But either way its faster now than it was. And ill just do little things here and there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:28 pm 
CSM Junkie

looking good. If you want to subdue that rust a bit better try the product "POR 15". Its a heavy duty rust sealer/coating and does a really good job of sealing the rust and not allowing it to propogate any further. Make sure you coat the INSIDE and OUTSIDE of the fender and quarter panel tho.

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next