4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:27 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Mods, can you please move this thread into Wagons section? I made this post before that sub-forum was created.

A lot has changed since I originally upgraded my Summit’s suspension. First of all, stock EVO8/9 suspension has a punishing ride! So much so, that my kids named the Summit “the bumpy car”. This wouldn’t be so bad if it gave Summit amazing handling, but it didn’t.

In search of more front camber, I installed some EVO8/9 TEIN coilovers with camber plates! I had to do the same modification done on stock EVO8 strut conversion: welded on washers on the bottom). That improved front end ride quality and handling, plus it gave me an adjustable ride height (not to mention shedding off around 2-3 lbs per side!) However, rear end was still unbearably bumpy!

After some research, I determined that 2G DSM rear Koni shocks should work on the Summit, so I took $230 gamble… and it paid off!

Top and bottom: EVO8 modded for 1G DSM/Summit (assembled and bare) Middle: 2G Eclipse Koni (spring purch omitted)

The fact that you can just leave out the bottom spring purch on 2G Konis make this install even easier! Otherwise, you have to cut off DSM or EVO lower spring purch.

The fit was perfect! But this shock is shorter, so it will not work if you have stock height spring.

In the rear, I am using stiffer (7 passenger van) springs (450lbs/in vs. sock 400lbs/in), which have 1.5 coils removed. The reduced spring length, should bring the spring rate to around 600-650lbs/in. So help stiffen up the springs even more, I installed PRC rubber spacer inside the spring. I am not sure if it is helping much (or at all), because it is loose when van just sits there, so it needs around 1” of spring compression to truly engage the rubber spacer. I suspect that those only help only at extremes of suspension travel.

01 Isuzu VehiCHROSS (winter beater) 17.0@80
80 Triumph TR7 (4G63 swap project)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 am 

Quote:
Mods, can you please move this thread into Wagons section?
Done. Glad to see you're still paving the way with these funny little wagons. Great job!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:05 pm 

Thanks! I am hoping posting all of my work will encorage more people to build these vans!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:24 pm 
2nd Banana

Micah needs to do this to his van. It has EVO suspension, and it looks absolutely hilarious driving around with all of the bumpiness. :P

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:48 am 

I am adding this post to this topic, so that is isn't beried in my Summit post :)

Something I noticed YEARS after installing EVO camber plates. The most I could get is -2* of camber (with camber plate "maxed out" in the negative direction. That seemed too little (I was expecting being around -3 or -4 degrees).

That is when I noticed that I had MORE space for adjustment in positive direction. That caused me to compare picture of EVO8 and Summit suspension... And they are reversed! So if you use stock top strut mounts (neutral) EVO, or if you can live with "only" -2 of camber, my current method works.

If you need more negative camber, you need to feather customize EVO suspension.

Now, notice how EVO7/8/9 camber plate orientation is opposite to us (and at a small angle, which is OK):